Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am new to the forum. On the fence between a new 2010 (or 2011) Camaro SS and Challenger R/T. I've drove both and wish I could afford to have both parked in my garage.

Things I know: In both cases, I want a 6-speed. I wouldn't even consider the auto in the Challenger, it just felt too weak. Plus the 6-speed I drove sounded CONSIDERABLY more throaty and mean whereas the auto sounded like a baby kitten.

The 6-speed I drove was the Furious Fuschia RT Classic. I am not a fan of that color at all. I want black. The fastest color you know. :smokin: Also I am okay with cloth seats. I'd like the red RT hood-to-fender stripes. The 3.92's are a must have. I believe the Fuschia one I drove had either a track pack or super track pack. I've heard both names tossed around here, but don't really know the difference. Also I'd like to be able to connect my phone via bluetooh (my hands will be busy shifting).

When I try to configure on the Dodge website, it keeps making me select a $6k package when I select the super track pack. Very frustrating. UNLESS I choose the J package, which also has leather. :(

Just a little help & guidance would be great. Maybe it would be easier to go talk with a dealer. But I'd prefer to figure out exactly what I want and get an idea on price before I talk to them. I can't stand salesman.

Alas, I saw a commercial last night that helped pull me to the Challenger side. It mentioned $4,000 for a 6-speed manual. :browsmiley: But when I look on the Dodge website, all I see is $2,500. :scratchhead: So I'm confused about that too and hoping someone can shed some light.

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I can't help you much with the configuration issues, but if the website won't let you get the TP or STP without the J package (or Classic package), then it probably isn't possible.

As for price... dealers are getting pretty motivated to roll 2010 iron. Search cars.com, there are literally thousands of brand new 2010 Challengers still sitting on lots. Generally speaking, the further north you go the better the deal.... although I've gotten a good deal down in Texas too.

I am very seriously considering a 2010 black R/T Classic w/ STP and the sound II package. MSRP was $37,5xx, they are offering for $31,799, nearly $6,000 off sticker AND going strong on my trade.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Track Pack is the name for the 6-speed package. Super Track Pack is the package that includes Goodyear 3-season tires, bigger rear sway bar, full ESP-off, etc. Being the owner of an STP car, I believe that package is a must-have.

Unfortunately, to get STP you must get a Classic, at least for 2010. Don't know if that changed for 2011. If you're considering a 2011, I'd call the dealer. Dodge is not the fastest when it comes to updating their website. Try to find a dealer who will work with you on a 2010. There are some smokin' deals on them out there, but don't wait too long.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help thus far guys. Please keep it comin'.

As far as the model year goes, I'd prefer a 2010 because dealers are wanting to move them and Dodge is offering some cash back making it overall more affordable. Pre-discounts, I'd like to stick as close to $30k as reasonable.

I did find one online that is black, 6-speed and has a "quick order 27F package". Edmunds.com tells me that package includes:

Quick Order Package 27F
Vehicle with standard equipment; 5.7L V8 engine rated at 376 hp @ 5150rpm and 410 lb.-ft of tourqe @ 4300 rpm; 6-speed manual Tremec transmission; 3.92 axle ratio; Heavy-duty 4-wheel anti-lock brakes; Anti-spin differential rear axle; Hill start assist; Performance steering with variable displacement; Track Pak
Looks like MSRP is $32,725, invoice is $31,360 and True Market Value is $30,787. I'm guessing the later is what people are paying BEFORE dealer/manufacturer cash. Assuming the $4k rebate is correct, I'd think final sale price would be around $26.7k.

Does that sound about right?

Any other options I should be worried about getting to meet my goals?

·
Registered
954 Posts
they do have a 2500 discount for 6spd cars currently.the 6spds do have a throatier sound.imo i think the furious fuscia r/t classic would be excellent! we tried the synergy green camaro but the dealership was unwilling to sell them(it seems) and they were just to small inside and trunk. i think the cloth seats looked cheap to so we are very happy with our pcp classic with leather,the braking and handling are excellent too!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Unfortunately, to get STP you must get a Classic, at least for 2010. Don't know if that changed for 2011.
....actually, I have the STP package it on my 2010 non-Classic R/T. It's an auto but I believe the STP option is available on all R/T's. I recall looking at 2010 6 speeds that were not classics that also had STP when I was shopping around earlier this year.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imo i think the furious fuscia r/t classic would be excellent! we tried the synergy green camaro but the dealership was unwilling to sell them(it seems) and they were just to small inside and trunk. i think the cloth seats looked cheap to so we are very happy with our pcp classic with leather,the braking and handling are excellent too!
I just can't do the fuscia color. Just not my cup of tea. Sad too, because test driving that one it sounded like a beast. Outside the color I would have been happy to own it.

I've seen a few synergy green SS's. It's one of those colors I didn't like at first but grew on me pretty quick. And you are right, Chevy dealers aren't hardly moving on price. I think invoice is around $1k below sticker most the time, maybe $1500 depending on the options and that is about the best you can buy them for -- assuming the dealer likes volume. And no rebates. And the trunk is okay sized, but the opening to get all the junk in is a joke. Not to mention the mega blind spots when sitting in the car, or the joke of a backseat. All reasons I'm considering the Challenger.

Just curious, did you think the cloth seats on the Camaro or Challenger (or both) looked cheap?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thanks for the help thus far guys. Please keep it comin'.

As far as the model year goes, I'd prefer a 2010 because dealers are wanting to move them and Dodge is offering some cash back making it overall more affordable. Pre-discounts, I'd like to stick as close to $30k as reasonable.

I did find one online that is black, 6-speed and has a "quick order 27F package". Edmunds.com tells me that package includes:

Looks like MSRP is $32,725, invoice is $31,360 and True Market Value is $30,787. I'm guessing the later is what people are paying BEFORE dealer/manufacturer cash. Assuming the $4k rebate is correct, I'd think final sale price would be around $26.7k.

Does that sound about right?

Any other options I should be worried about getting to meet my goals?
That's my car!

Word of advice here: Get the 27F. THIS is all you need! I did upgrade the sway bars to the Mopar Performance bars and did the front strut tower brace. The car is on rails now! ESP full off on an R/T is only a twist of the key away and from what I've heard there are many disappointed with the 3 season radials. Have the dealer do a stereo upgrade as part of the deal if you gotta have it.

I didn't want a car loaded up with a bunch of stuff that in my opinion is not about driving the car. If you want a driver's car you'll like the 27F package. With a few extra tweaks for under $1k I couldn't be happier!

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's my car!

Word of advice here: Get the 27F. THIS is all you need! I did upgrade the sway bars to the Mopar Performance bars and did the front strut tower brace. The car is on rails now! ESP full off on an R/T is only a twist of the key away and from what I've heard there are many disappointed with the 3 season radials. Have the dealer do a stereo upgrade as part of the deal if you gotta have it.

I didn't want a car loaded up with a bunch of stuff that in my opinion is not about driving the car. If you want a driver's car you'll like the 27F package. With a few extra tweaks for under $1k I couldn't be happier!
Thanks for the boost of confidence! :bigthumb:

By the way, talked to a dealer in the middle of corn country today...he priced a $38.3k car for the $31.9k range...right about $6,350 off sticker. The 27F car I found stickers considerably less at $32.7k. Assuming I could get a similar discount I'd be looking at $26.4k or so which stokes me because that puts it in my price range. :)

Only thing that leaves me a little confused is Edmunds said the 27F package included the 3.92 gears, but he emailed me a copy of the invoice and it only shows 3.73 gears. What's up with that? :scratchhead:

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Customer Preferred Package 27F
6-Speed Manual Transmission $ 995
3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
Bright Accelerator, Brake and Clutch
Pedals
Hill Start Assist
Performance Steering w/Variable
Displacement Pump
Track Pak
SIRIUS Satellite Radio $ 195
For More Information, Call
1-888-539-7474
1-Year SIRIUS Radio Service
Delete Spare Tire $ -75
Tire Service Kit
DESTINATION CHARGE $ 750
TOTAL PRICE:* $ 32,725

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, 2 last things....

1. What all has to be upgraded from a 27F package to get the bluetooth connectivity of my phone? Is it a simple radio upgrade, or is there more? What would be the approximate cost?

2. The car I am looking at does NOT have any stripe package. I would like to add the fender to hood stripes. Preferably red (black car) or white (if I go deepwater blue). I presume these are sticker kits the dealer can apply for the $200 before I take delivery?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Oh yeah, 2 last things....

1. What all has to be upgraded from a 27F package to get the bluetooth connectivity of my phone? Is it a simple radio upgrade, or is there more? What would be the approximate cost?

2. The car I am looking at does NOT have any stripe package. I would like to add the fender to hood stripes. Preferably red (black car) or white (if I go deepwater blue). I presume these are sticker kits the dealer can apply for the $200 before I take delivery?
1. I think you need the either the Electronics Convenience Group (+$1350) or NAV radio (+$1800) to get Bluetooth in a 2010 from the factory. To get either upgrade though you HAVE to have the J or classic package. IMO if you don't want leather or the extra costs, you can buy a much nicer aftermarket stereo with BT already added in for considerably less. Even a very very nice GPS head unit is less than either of the upgrades combined with J or classic. (Kenwood DNX7160 for example is a fantastic unit which you can find around $1250 or so)
*BTW, I think both the classic and J package have a speaker upgrade over the stock R/T. Could certainly be wrong though.

2. They are usually installed from the factory, but if not on the one you want the dealer should be able to take care of it. Be sure they don't slip a labor charge on your check though, some will try.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can't help you much with the configuration issues, but if the website won't let you get the TP or STP without the J package (or Classic package), then it probably isn't possible.

As for price... dealers are getting pretty motivated to roll 2010 iron. Search cars.com, there are literally thousands of brand new 2010 Challengers still sitting on lots. Generally speaking, the further north you go the better the deal.... although I've gotten a good deal down in Texas too.

I am very seriously considering a 2010 black R/T Classic w/ STP and the sound II package. MSRP was $37,5xx, they are offering for $31,799, nearly $6,000 off sticker AND going strong on my trade.
Nyle Maxwell had an advert in Saturday's Statesman cars section for $8K off fully loaded R/Ts. See if you can find a copy of that paper and take it in with you or wait until Saturday. They run a full page every week. Even if you aren't buying from them (which I will endorse, they were great for me) you could still take it into any other dealer and see if they'll match.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Only thing that leaves me a little confused is Edmunds said the 27F package included the 3.92 gears, but he emailed me a copy of the invoice and it only shows 3.73 gears. What's up with that? :scratchhead:
20" wheels gets you the 3.92 gear.
18" wheels get you the 3.72 gears.
20" is a 1300.00 extra on the 27f.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
20" wheels gets you the 3.92 gear.
18" wheels get you the 3.72 gears.
20" is a 1300.00 extra on the 27f.
What he said... but you may be able to trade 'down' to the 18" wheels and get a credit for the 20s, and still have the 3.92 gears. Depends how motivated the dealer is.

Didn't see this mentioned, but the exhaust on the 6sp is completely different (and much more aggressive) than on the auto, as you noted.

Also, you can't really expect the same discount on a $30K car as one that's almost $40K. They won't have as much margin to play with on the lower cost cars. Sounds like there are some good deals out there though, so good luck.

·
Registered
954 Posts
it seems as both the camaro and challenger cloth seats material looks cheap,i may be wrong.i did meet a guy who had a challenger with cloth and some miles on it,he showed me a spot on the drivers seat bolster that was already getting wore looking

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yes you do have to have 20's to get the 3.92 gear. There are a lot of 27F cars out there that came this way, mine being one. Have the dealer look for a car that has what you want, but you probably will have to compromise on some items. You may have to get some items that are not on the car through the dealer. You are looking to buy at the right time though with 2011's rolling in. As stated above, the lower the sticker, the less the dealer will be willing to budge on the price.

Just get in one now! and then mod it to your taste. A 27F car is a great way to start. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
In 2010 you had to pick a J-coded car... didn't need to be a Classic, but it had to be a J. STP was NOT available on the base F-code car (cloth seats) unless you ordered a Mopar'10 which just happened to use the F-code car as an ordering base. that is why the Build your own... makes you pick the M'10 package to get STP on the base F-code R/T

Super Track Pack Rocks... (But not for a winter driver)
There should be plenty of them still on the lots.
Or look at the SRT's that are now selling for well equipped RT priced.
$0.02

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have no problem with the cloth seats. I think they look nice and I don't stick to them in the summer.

·
Banned
664 Posts
What he said... but you may be able to trade 'down' to the 18" wheels and get a credit for the 20s, and still have the 3.92 gears. Depends how motivated the dealer is.
This is exactly what I did, I knew I was going to use 18" tires for more sidewall. My dealer kept the 20s and gave me the 18s off of an SE and a 900.00 deduction for the exchange.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts