Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into getting an srt8 challenger with a 6 speed. I know when the 2011 model year rolled around all srt8's got the 6.4 hemi, and the challenger got an updated steering wheel across all trims with a few other things. Since the price gap between a 6.1 and a 6.4 challenger is rather sizeable, I'd like to enquire about the details of both cars. Things such as reliability/quality, driving experience and capacity for mods (I heard that with the 6.4 cars the ecu was "locked" but I don't know much about that).

Thank you for your help - lah

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
There were numerous revisions to the suspension for the '11 - '14 models over the '08 - '10.

The PCMs were 'cracked' by '12, so its not issue with tuning. ['15+ require unlocked PCM to tune]

The other point is the 6.4 is not peaky like the 6.1s are and there's torque all the way around.

From '12+ the multi-model Bilsteins came along. The '11s use standard Bilsteins like the Scat Packs have at the present.

There more tweaks to the Tremec six speeds to improve synchronizers performance for better shift feel as well.

Keep a lookout for an '11 SRT8 - with those being 7 models years out, the prices should be coming down. Be patient in the search for the best example.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've owned both, a 2009 and now a 2012. The 392 has more torque at lower rpm's like Hal H mentioned. Appearance wise they are about the same, but the 11 and up did get rid of the steering wheel some hated and the ram's head badges. The 6.1 looks impressive under the hood with its bulging aluminum intake, verses the "plasticy" flat looking 392. Both are great cars and you will be happy with either in my opinion.

With many owners trading up to Hellcats and Demons, there are many nice older SRT's out there to choose from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
79 300
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing