Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a new best today at 6.3. Bone stock '17 SXT. Usually 6.4 or 6.5 but I guess the air was good today. All in the same fairly flat stretch.

Tim

P.S. Can't edit the title, but this was for us V6 guy's :)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,516 Posts
Best I could do with my 5.7 M6 bone stock was 5.3s. My best with the supercharger (same stock tires) was 5.0s but with quite a bit of wheel spin (it is darn hard to get traction).

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,033 Posts
Got a new best today at 6.3. Bone stock '17 SXT. Usually 6.4 or 6.5 but I guess the air was good today. All in the same fairly flat stretch.

Tim
Mid 6 second 0-60 times are what I was getting in my 2011 SE when it was new and still bone stock (A5 trans), so that sounds a tad slow to me for a newer SXT with the A8 trans. Granted, I have not done any research to back up my claim that the 2015+ SXTs should be quicker in their 0-60 times, so I could be talking out my arse here...plus I have not driven one of the SXTs with the A8 yet, so I cannot even speak from experience on that part either...but it just seems like everyone has been raving about how much better the 3.6L accelerates with the A8, so I just figured that would show up in the 0-60 times as well.

But hell, there's so many variables that could be at play here...thin air is never good for making big bangs, maybe that's factoring in here...you're not in some place like Denver are you?

EDIT: disregard that last question, I see your location is San Diego...so unless you're in an exclusive enclave of San Diego that's several thousand feet above sea level, thin air is likely not a factor here...

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
When I first tried, I got 6.4 seconds. I tried a second time a few months later in Sport mode and got 6.1 seconds.

While it is still cold here in the mid-Atlantic area, I should give it one more try. I've seen people with a 3.6 and A8 get down to the high 5's. I would love to see that!

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
When I first tried, I got 6.4 seconds. I tried a second time a few months later in Sport mode and got 6.1 seconds.

While it is still cold here in the mid-Atlantic area, I should give it one more try. I've seen people with a 3.6 and A8 get down to the high 5's. I would love to see that!
While I have no doubt the A8 is superior at helping the 3.6L get these tuna boats to 60 mph more quickly than the A5 can, I think it’s worth noting that the better (lower!) gearing in the A8 isn’t the sole reason it gets to 60 more quickly than the A5. The A8’s quicker shifts also deserve a little credit too.

The amount of time spent decelerating while in between gears is more significant than many people realize. 350-500 milliseconds? She why, that’s the blink of an eye, who cares?!?

Well if you’re measuring the amount of time it takes your car to do something, and that measurement is usually logged and compared down to the fraction of a second, every millisecond counts!! Especially when talking about the effects of reducing them!

That A5 I had in my 2011 could take danged near 500 miliseconds (0.5 seconds) to complete a shift when car was in normal mode (not sport, etc.). I saw this with my own eyes on several occasions while reading old data logs...yes, I save all my old data logs, so what?!?

Luckily I was eventually able to cut back on the time spent dawdling in between gears by getting myself a TranzFormer and utilizing its ability to firm up shifts and thereby decrease my shift times.

Jeez I miss that little black box of wonderful!! I gotta get me another one of those, and SOON!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,821 Posts
I never tried before the Solo exhaust, so can't say bone stock. No doubt the 3.07 rear helps too

0-60 5.9.jpg

A Guy

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I never tried before the Solo exhaust, so can't say bone stock. No doubt the 3.07 rear helps too

[iurl="http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=890226&stc=1&d=1520058449"][/iurl]

A Guy
You 2015+ guys don’t know how good you got it! More HP, more TQ, and fancy-smancy electronic doohickeys to keep track of your 0-60 times for you...I WISH I had it that good!

Not only does I take me much longer to get to 60 from a dead stop, but I have manually time myself and keep track of those times with pen and paper.

For example, check out my 0-60 log for February (blue is start time, green is 60mph stop time, and yellow indicates my personal best for that month): <couldn’t in-line image, see attachment >

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mid 6 second 0-60 times are what I was getting in my 2011 SE when it was new and still bone stock (A5 trans), so that sounds a tad slow to me for a newer SXT with the A8 trans. Granted, I have not done any research to back up my claim that the 2015+ SXTs should be quicker in their 0-60 times, so I could be talking out my arse here...plus I have not driven one of the SXTs with the A8 yet, so I cannot even speak from experience on that part either...but it just seems like everyone has been raving about how much better the 3.6L accelerates with the A8, so I just figured that would show up in the 0-60 times as well.

But hell, there's so many variables that could be at play here...thin air is never good for making big bangs, maybe that's factoring in here...you're not in some place like Denver are you?

EDIT: disregard that last question, I see your location is San Diego...so unless you're in an exclusive enclave of San Diego that's several thousand feet above sea level, thin air is likely not a factor here...
I need to try a better location. The road is a bit rough and I think on a better surface I can do better. There is also a slight incline, but not much.

Mine was sport mode, traction control off. I could drop a few pounds of "standard cargo" from the trunk like my tool bag.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Best 0-60 4.74

Best 0 - 60... Not a V6...Not Stock...Oops:surprise:,
Not good traction. I left two 20ft strips of rubber on the road.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I need to try a better location. The road is a bit rough and I think on a better surface I can do better. There is also a slight incline, but not much.

Mine was sport mode, traction control off. I could drop a few pounds of "standard cargo" from the trunk like my tool bag.
Your best run is likely going to come from a scenario involving:
- Sport Mode (I'm assuming that equates to firmer shifts; that's what you want),
- Traction Control on or off (whatever minimizes wheel spin),
- gear shift in Auto-Stick and 1st gear (go WOT in 1st & let it shift to 2nd @ Redline on its own; same for 2nd to 3rd, etc.),
- 1/4 tank of mid-grade gasoline, aka 89 octane, if available (any more than 1/4 tank and you're fighting the drag of dead weight),
- and most importantly - Intake Air Temp sensor reading as close to ambient temp sensor as possible.

That last one will be tough for you do without something giving you a constant read-out of the IAT temp, so you'll just have to do your best to guess on it. Make sure the engine is up to normal operating temp, but not for too long, and don't have any 'sitting around' or 'stop and go' operation in the immediate time before attempting the 0-60 run. Any sitting around or stop and go traffic is just going to heat-soak the IAT sensor and give the ECU a false reading well above ambient air (the air the engine is consuming).

Regardless, if it were me, I would do one WOT run first to cool down the IAT with the air rushing by it from WOT operation, before doing my 0-60 runs. So you could do an initial 0-60, or a 60-100 run, or just a 5-10 second run of WOT immediately before the timed 0-60. Anything to get that IAT sensor cooled down to as close to ambient as possible will help.

And then do your 0-60 run(s). Yes, if you are able, I would do 2 or 3 runs back to back and see if any patterns emerge. It's likely that the middle run(s) will be your best, but regardless, it will give you an idea for what your car likes and how best to launch it if you're still needing practice.

I would think you could pull a 6.0 sec flat before long with that fancy A8 transmission...it'll just take a whole lotta floorin'!! >:)

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Best 0 - 60... Not a V6...Not Stock...Oops:surprise:,
Not good traction. I left two 20ft strips of rubber on the road.
You do know I hope, that burn-outs make The Baby Jesus cry. :crbaby:

And so, every time you do one of those, it makes God angry... :11:

So much so, I've heard he will kill a puppy in revenge... :domotwak:

So you know, if you want to continue to peel scratch, that's cool and all, but just remember, some family somewhere is losing a puppy because of all The Baby Jesus tears... :surprise:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,516 Posts
Then I must be responsible for puppy genocide :dunno: because I cannot resist paving the streets with firestone rubber. >:)

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Then I must be responsible for puppy genocide
because I cannot resist paving the streets with firestone rubber. /forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
I just had a vision of the future...way in the future, like 40 or 50 years...those of us still alive are all gathered in a cemetery, and we’re standing graveside “pouring one out” for our homey @ChallyTatum who has just passed onto that big automotive shop in the sky.

But it is a strange funeral indeed, because all the men are standing around laughing, joking, and talking about all things Mopar. While all the women are huddled in the corner and staring daggers at @ChallyTatum ‘s headstone, which reads:

Here Lies @ChallyTatum :
Challenger Lover and Expert Break-Dancer.
But to the Puppies, HE WAS THE HOLOCAUST!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a '17 sxt with stp. I have a K&N filter and I cut off the rear resonators and added quad black tips and I get 5.6-5.8 all day long. I am about to add RIPP at the end of April so I'm hoping for mid 4's. Does anyone have a RIPP or Sprintex that can give any advice on the matter?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,821 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why did you go with Sprintex over RIPP? I'm getting one in about a month, but the hood and price of stage 2 are pushing me towards RIPP. Can you let me know how bad the hood doesn't fit? I spoke with Mr. Holsworth with Sprintex a few times and he said I can shim 1/8 an inch on the hinge and it will close. I'd like confirmation before I fork out the dough.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,821 Posts
Those were not my threads, I can't answer that, sorry. A Guy

·
Registered
2015 sxt
71 Posts
Well my best was 5.2 in the 0 - 60 but now I can't get better than 6.1 or 6.2 but I have gone from 18 inch rims to 20 inch rims would that make a difference? Do I need to reset my speedo for these tires ratio? I called this dealership in town and the people don't have a clue about reprogramming what they work on.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts