Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey so I just bought a 2013 Dodge Challenger SXT from Car Max about 2 weeks ago and its been a wild 2 weeks. They promised no flood vehicles would be sold, but my Challenger is behaving strangely like a flooder.

It has electrical issues and won't start sometimes. It was originally a push button start but now it has a key and I didn’t notice that when I bought it. It will randomly power off while driving. The engine is good but the electrical system just dies. It has rust under the driver and passenger seats and the glove box. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Can not say for certain it is not a "flood car" but there are unfortunately a number of cars which manifest behavior similar to what yours is manifesting that are definitely not flood cars.

More common than flood damage is rodent damage.

And much more common that rodent damage is something "bad" in the car's electrical system. A bad battery, a bad charging system, which may or may be accompanied by bad electrical connections.

With the rust that has me suspecting the car came from a region where the roads were salted quite a bit. This can take a toll on sheet metal but also on a portion of the car's electrical system.

For example while the connections at the battery are good the ground connection from the engine to the car's chassis can be just a few strands of copper wiring, all that is left of the ground wiring after the ravages of a corrosive environment.

Or there can be issues arising from not flood damage but water in the car, through a leak that lets rain water, wash water into the car. An indication the problems might be from this is if the floor carpets, door carpets, are damp.

Do not know how Challengers are in this regard but some vehicles with which I have had experience with in the past can even put water in the cabin -- which results in electrical issues -- via blocked body water drains which overflow and allow water into the cabin. Another area of concern was the door membrane which separates the wet side of the door from the dry side, where the door lock, window electrical/mechanical is located. This membrane can fail and let water from the wet side to the dry side. If left unaddressed this can cause electrical gremlins to appear in other areas which are distant from the immediate area of the door and its door lock and window hardware.

Also more common is a botched -- by a previous owner -- installation of an aftermarket stereo/sound system.

I'd be inclined to have the car checked out for a good battery, a good charging system, one that starts out good and remains good even after the engine has been running some time. (I had a car with an alternator that started out good but after some minutes of engine operation the alternator output began to fall. I spotted this -- courtesy of a dash battery voltage gauge -- and was able to get the car in and have this dealt with before the engine starting manifesting any issues arising from inadequate electrical power.)

The tech will spot signs of flood damage, rodent damage, or signs of water in the car, or damage (messed up) wiring.

·
Super Moderator
15,443 Posts
If there is rust under the glove box and rust under the driver and passenger seats, I would first look for a leak in the windshield area. Also, a flood-damaged car is a possibility.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Can not say for certain it is not a "flood car" but there are unfortunately a number of cars which manifest behavior similar to what yours is manifesting that are definitely not flood cars.

More common than flood damage is rodent damage.

And much more common that rodent damage is something "bad" in the car's electrical system. A bad battery, a bad charging system, which may or may be accompanied by bad electrical connections.

With the rust that has me suspecting the car came from a region where the roads were salted quite a bit. This can take a toll on sheet metal but also on a portion of the car's electrical system.

For example while the connections at the battery are good the ground connection from the engine to the car's chassis can be just a few strands of copper wiring, all that is left of the ground wiring after the ravages of a corrosive environment.

Or there can be issues arising from not flood damage but water in the car, through a leak that lets rain water, wash water into the car. An indication the problems might be from this is if the floor carpets, door carpets, are damp.

Do not know how Challengers are in this regard but some vehicles with which I have had experience with in the past can even put water in the cabin -- which results in electrical issues -- via blocked body water drains which overflow and allow water into the cabin. Another area of concern was the door membrane which separates the wet side of the door from the dry side, where the door lock, window electrical/mechanical is located. This membrane can fail and let water from the wet side to the dry side. If left unaddressed this can cause electrical gremlins to appear in other areas which are distant from the immediate area of the door and its door lock and window hardware.

Also more common is a botched -- by a previous owner -- installation of an aftermarket stereo/sound system.

I'd be inclined to have the car checked out for a good battery, a good charging system, one that starts out good and remains good even after the engine has been running some time. (I had a car with an alternator that started out good but after some minutes of engine operation the alternator output began to fall. I spotted this -- courtesy of a dash battery voltage gauge -- and was able to get the car in and have this dealt with before the engine starting manifesting any issues arising from inadequate electrical power.)

The tech will spot signs of flood damage, rodent damage, or signs of water in the car, or damage (messed up) wiring.
o_O:rolleyes::LOL:

·
Banned
295 Posts
Hey so I just bought a 2013 Dodge Challenger SXT from Car Max about 2 weeks ago and its been a wild 2 weeks. They promised no flood vehicles would be sold, but my Challenger is behaving strangely like a flooder.

It has electrical issues and won't start sometimes. It was originally a push button start but now it has a key and I didn’t notice that when I bought it. It will randomly power off while driving. The engine is good but the electrical system just dies. It has rust under the driver and passenger seats and the glove box. Does anyone have any ideas?
Flood damaged. Take it back, if you can. End of story.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,497 Posts
Does your car have a sunroof? If so drains could be plugged. Either way, pull your front seatbelts all the way out and inspect them for mold, must, sand and mud. If so, then the car has been underwater, at least enough to get water in there.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,316 Posts

There is Electrical Recalls on the car for the very issues your describing. Alternator and it shutting off....
Check your Vin here and if you see any call your local dealer and get them fixed....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts