Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! I need some insight if you would be so kind. I have lots of questions so bear with me...Challengers have been catching my eye for awhile and now my brother just went out and bought a 21 Charger 392 Scat Pack Widebody in frostbite. Beautiful car and of course I’m jealous. Brother rivalry and all, I can’t let him have all the fun! One way I can one up him is get the manual tranny that he should have gone for. I argued for him to get a Challenger stick but he felt he needed 4 doors :rolleyes: But I digress...

First a few equipment questions. The Ready Alert braking feature, is that a warning of impending collision? I understand the stick doesn’t have emergency braking (right?) but it would be nice if it at least alerted ya. Next, I’m a short guy, barely 5’5”. Does the Shaker hood block or cause visibility issues? Does the Shaker get in the way of basic maintenance? I’m partial to the looks of the shaker but don’t want extra aggravation of it being in the way or anything. What’s the percentage difference in firmness between the “performance“ suspension and “high performance”? Like, is it 15% firmer or? Is ride good regardless of the suspension tune? I grew up on GTI, RX7, Miata, Fiat 500 turbo, all of which offer great handling and a comfortable ride.

Next, I’ve only driven a V6 rental. It impressed me. Felt very solid and was peppier then I expected. I’ve decided my next car will be a fun car and a stick is required (save the manuals!). My options are very eclectic (Challenger, Miata, Bronco 2 door) but I’m leaning towards the Challenger because I want to own American muscle before electric soon replaces the V8. Anyway, this car will be a 3rd car for me, meaning it will rarely be driven, like 2k a year. Gas mileage isn’t high priority with the low mileage and besides I own a Honda hybrid that already gets me an amazing 55-60mpg. The most “powerful” car I’ve ever owned had 175hp. All that being said, would the 5.7 Hemi be plenty satisfying or would I kick myself for not going for the 6.4 Scat? Part of me feels that if I got the R/T, my brother would just be like “yea, you got a stick but it’s still just a 345”. And then there’s the fact I grew up with a 390 Fairlane GT in the garage that’s still there. Would be cool for all the men in the family to own a 390. The problem I run into is I would be pushing my budget to get the Scat, at least one with the options I’d like. I for sure want the Driver convenience pkg and Alpine stereo. I’d prefer to have a sunroof, a consolation prize for not getting the convertible Miata or Bronco. But when you get up to the 40k mark, something just rubs me wrong about having cheap looking plastic interior panels, which would require one of the expensive packages. Does anyone regret NOT getting the premium dash and door panels? Basically, to get the Scat, I’d have to live with cloth and cheap plastic. Worth it?

All this leads me to last questions....There are a few interesting cars on the lot that attract me but none have exactly what I want. There’s a deep blue 21 R/T with the premium plastics, convenience, sunroof and alpine with a nice discount but it looks a little plain (no stripes, no shaker). There’s a same color Scat at the same dealer but all it has is convenience package and I think red calipers and dealer is showing minimal discount. Can anyone tell me what the B5 blue color is? Is it the same as the current darker blue? I also found a really sharp looking 50th but it’s white, a color I normally despise but this one surprised me and the interior is super nice on the 50. It lacks the sunroof but has everything else I could possibly want plus a unique graphics package that was added by a local shop. So I guess my question is, would you compromise with one of these or try to do special order? Sorry for long winded post but any insight is appreciate.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,192 Posts
Not sure you’d really be “one upping” brother with a manual transmission (and I like the 6M....it’s just hard to compete with the 180 ms to 230 ms shift times of the A8).

You’re all over the map considering the Challenger, Miata, and Bronco Sport.

If you think it may push your budget to get a Scat Pack now......it will really be even more expensive IF you buy a 345 now and have buyer’s remorse wishing you’d purchased the 392 later....

Reactions: RayJ

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll be happy, you're brother will be happy, and all will be good.
I have a Honda as my business car. What part of “I want a fun car” as my next ride are you not understanding? I also own a Fiat 500 turbo, does that offend you as well? The brother story was more being funny. I helped him choose his Charger’s color and helped him search for what he wanted. I just don’t understand why you are even posting if you have nothing helpful to add? How bout as an actual owner, giving some insight into the questions in paragraph 2....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure you’d really be “one upping” brother with a manual transmission (and I like the 6M....it’s just hard to compete with the 180 ms to 230 ms shift times of the A8).

If you think it may push your budget to get a Scat Pack now......it will really be even more expensive IF you buy a 345 now and have buyer’s remorse wishing you’d purchased the 392 later....
Yea, I realize I’m all over the map. Just to be clear, I have some interest in the Bronco, NOT the Sport which is an Escape based suv. I’ve always loved convertibles and one of the best and most satisfying cars I ever owned was a 92 Miata. But, being older now, I’m not sure I want to stoop down into a tiny car and it’s actual usefulness is tiny as well. The Bronco 2 door is sporty, more useful and a different kind of fun and it still allows the open air experience BUT it’s a 4 cylinder and I don’t go off roading and have no use for 4wd. The Challenger is just one of those cars I LOVE to look at. It’s also a dying breed. I feel like 2022 may be it’s last year so I feel this may be my last chance to own a V8 muscle car new (I don’t like buying used). I also feel like I’m buying for my future retirement as I can see myself taking it to car shows...

The manual thing is just something me and my brother have always loved so I gave him some hell for getting the auto. I know the auto is faster, but nothing beats shifting your own when it comes to having that connection with the machine.

Are you happy with your 5.7 or do you wish you had the 392? That much of a performance difference?

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you’ve had only 175Hp up to this point, you will LOVE the 5.7. I went from a v6 mustang to a 5.7 with my first challenger and it was a HUGE difference. Going from 5.7 to 6.4 is the same kind of difference and feeling, but I think you’d be perfectly happy with the 5.7. Honestly, going from 175 to 485 might be overkill for you. That is a gigantic change.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

There is no dispute that the automatic will shift faster than Superman. I did not demand a manual to be the fastest kid on the block. I did it because of the connection with the car and the overall superior driving satisfaction. I LOVE my 392/manual. If I couldn't have got one in this configuration, I would not even consider buying one.

To each his own. I'm delighted that Chrysler offered this combination and without that box to check I would not have the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My advice/opinion, take it or leave it. You need to tune out what anyone else is going to think about what you buy. You know which model, trim level, options, color, and price are important to you. If you are doing this trying to one-up your brother, or anyone else for that matter, you will end up disappointed. What is important to them likely will not match your personal taste. Being satisfied and comfortable with your decision is all that matters.
I ended up with a White R/T 6M blacktop. Base model R/T. Only option on the car is the blacktop package. Cloth seats. Standard interior. White not my first choice. Is it my dream car? No. Do I have any regrets? Hell no! I love my car! And there are at least a dozen Challengers in my neighborhood. Everything from a GT to a couple Hellcat Redeyes! I have driven one of the redeyes. Impressive. But for me, not worth 60k over what I paid for mine!
B5 blue looks nothing like the deep blue of the current model. Really can’t describe accurately in words. I suggest finding one to look at in person. Personally, I prefer B5 over the current blue, but that is just my personal taste.
Good luck! Whatever Challenger flavor you decide on, you will not be disappointed. It’s an awesome car!

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I've owned a lot of Dodge muscle over the years beginning with my 1st one in 1967. But, I never went all the way with the old 440s or hemis. I drove the 383s. I currently have a '13 R/T A5. The 5.7L is a fun ride. Yeah, I suspect there are a lot of cars that can take me at a light; but, I don't race so I (and they) will never know. Have I ever felt as though I didn't have enough power? Nope. My suggestion is NOT to push the budget. Get the car with the features you want and price the 5.7L version against the 6.4L version. That should make up your mind if you use logic and not emotion. Good luck.

Reactions: Carfreak09

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
356 Posts
If your goal is to have a fun car, 5.7 will be a handful of an upgrade for you, and a really good choice. However if you're looking to one-up your brother, you will consistently have buyer's remorse unless you go for 392.

Keep in mind, 392 is not just extra power, but also extra gas and extra insurance. You mentioned that you are working with a relatively strict budget, so that's something to keep in mind.

As for other questions, there is a lot that would be answered by simply doing a bunch of test drives. Things like suspension feel, visibility and the like. Take your time and shop around - best way to see if you'll like the car is to drive it.

The interior quality is more or less same across all challenger trims. Challenger in its essence is a muscle car - minimalistic, rugged and uncouth. What you get inside is bare minimum, because the focus is on what's under the hood. If you're unwilling to sacrifice some of the more modern gadgets and creature comforts, it may not be the best choice for you.

Good luck in your decision making!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
914 Posts
If I may offer my opinion for whatever it is worth, I would suggest that you shut your eyes and picture what you want to see in your driveway when you go outside in the morning and buy that. I bought a Scat because it may be one of the last cars I may buy. If you try to keep up with your brother then he is controlling what you have not you. I have never owned something because of competition with a sibling. I have watched two twin brothers do that for years, neither is ever happy. I love my Scat and wouldn't want to get rid of it but that is me. Good luck with what you decide!😉

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drive them both, I own a base scat, cloth and plastic, feels like a nostalgic muscle car,
I had a 300+ whp GTI I traded for it, I enjoyed the golf, but the scat is just bad ass. The sound the feeling, the attention, it’s the whole package. If you buy one in any form, there won’t be any ragrets, unless you pick the wrong engine.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
There is absolutely nothing better than an angry V8 exhaust note. No matter how powerful any other platform may be, the primal impact simply isn't there.

Reactions: Carfreak09

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is no dispute that the automatic will shift faster than Superman. I did not demand a manual to be the fastest kid on the block. I did it because of the connection with the car and the overall superior driving satisfaction. I LOVE my 392/manual. If I couldn't have got one in this configuration, I would not even consider buying one.

To each his own. I'm delighted that Chrysler offered this combination and without that box to check I would not have the car.
Im the same way! If the Challenger was auto only, it wouldn’t be on my list.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts