Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've made it my goal to be able to purchase a pre-owned Challenger R/T Plus (2015-2018) by the end of this year or the beginning of next year. I was originally going to go for a Scat Pack, but at 21 years old the insurance premiums would be murder, and the gas mileage would likely be worse (in town) than my current 2001 Durango 4.7L. Not to mention potential repair costs. All that being said, I want to know what power adders I can get for the car, since I do want more than 375 horsepower (just can't afford it from the factory). I'm looking for best bang for buck. Although, I'm thinking hard about an Arrington 392 stroker kit. How much would I be looking at in labor costs to have that done for me by a competent engine builder? How will it affect overall longevity of the motor? Also, what's the max size tire I could fit on to a 9" wheel? And would it be in my interest to get bigger brakes? Are they made by Dodge or Brembo on the R/T Plus? I was thinking of a camshaft upgrade also, but I like the sound of the idle as it is, not crazy about the lobey sound that comes from a lot of aftermarket performance cams. What cam grind will give me increased performance and an enhanced sound without too much of the lobe and without sacrificing too much gas mileage?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've definitely thought about a SC, but they're very expensive and I'm led to believe that without forging the engine, I'm either severely reducing the service life of the engine or I can't run more than 6 pounds of boost, and the power I'd gain from that wouldn't be worth the cost vs just doing mods for a naturally aspirated build

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
I've definitely thought about a SC, but they're very expensive and I'm led to believe that without forging the engine, I'm either severely reducing the service life of the engine or I can't run more than 6 pounds of boost, and the power I'd gain from that wouldn't be worth the cost vs just doing mods for a naturally aspirated build
Yes it is a lot of coin but for $7800 (that is PCM, tuner, larger fuel pump, and the SC kit) you get ~140-160hp ($49-$56 per HP). If you just go headers which costs ~$1200+$1000 (tuner and PCM) that only gives ~$25HP ($88 per HP). Just some numbers for you to compare. BTW these numbers don't include labor so if you are not very handy and need a shop, I would highly recommend you trade-up to a Scat Pack if you are looking for more power.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You raise good points, my lingering concern is about engine longevity. Is it going to last 150,000-200,000 miles without forging it running 6 pounds of boost? Are there any other potential maintenance issues down the line?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
You raise good points, my lingering concern is about engine longevity. Is it going to last 150,000-200,000 miles without forging it running 6 pounds of boost? Are there any other potential maintenance issues down the line?
150k-200k...that is a lot of miles and I have yet to see anyone post that kind of mileage , stock. Ask the guys from Steve White (they have installed A LOT of SC on 5.7/6.4 challengers) if they have seen any issues.

I have yet to hear any engine failures on a 5.7 as long as boost is under 8psi, the tune is dialed in, and the fuel is quality 91 octane (I run 93).

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Go with long tube headers and a custom tune. Good for 30-35hp on a stock 5.7 (345ci) Hemi. You'll also want to run high flow mid pipes as well. That's the cheapest way to add any real hp without going the supercharged route.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,643 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I kind of assumed that a properly built and maintained NA Hemi car that isn't driven too hard all the time would last about the same amount of time that a normal car would. How much mileage can I expect out of a modern Hemi Challenger?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would it last longer if I forged the engine? Got rid of the cast parts?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out of curiosity, if I wanted to spend stupid amounts of money, how well would a 5.7 based forged 392 stroker take to supercharging? Would it further degrade the service life?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Most Challenger Hemi engines are driven hard, regardless of mods. Forged internals will definitely add to the longevity of an engine. 5.7 based 392s are badas$ engines and are certainly used in (and built for) supercharged builds. Check out Arrington's website: https://www.shophemi.com/c-1142-57-hemi-based-short-block.aspx

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
The 6.4 is a good engine but the 6.2 is build for abuse and the resulting compression ratio makes boosting more manageable on pump gas. Lately I have been seeing more recommendations to go with a 6.2 short block as opposed to a 6.4 if you want to make serious power. If you want NA power then I would go with a 6.4. Now street driveability is another thing. There are folks who want big power +1000hp and still want to use the car to get groceries and pic up the kids from school. They quickly find out that driving such a beast on the street becomes a chore. IMO 500-600 RWHP in a daily driver is more than enough power and that is what I like about superchargers....it provides power when you want it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 6.4 is a good engine but the 6.2 is build for abuse and the resulting compression ratio makes boosting more manageable on pump gas. Lately I have been seeing more recommendations to go with a 6.2 short block as opposed to a 6.4 if you want to make serious power. If you want NA power then I would go with a 6.4. Now street driveability is another thing. There are folks who want big power +1000hp and still want to use the car to get groceries and pic up the kids from school. They quickly find out that driving such a beast on the street becomes a chore. IMO 500-600 RWHP in a daily driver is more than enough power and that is what I like about superchargers....it provides power when you want it.
That's about what I'm going for, anywhere between the high 400's to high 500's at the wheels. Not looking for anything too crazy. I may or may not supercharge, I like the idea of a well-built NA 392 stroker.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way Chally, how do you like your Corsa Extreme? It's one of the exhaust options I'm considering, is it too loud while just cruising? Any drone? I switch back and forth between a family neighborhood and a student apartment complex, so it can't be too too loud.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
By the way Chally, how do you like your Corsa Extreme? It's one of the exhaust options I'm considering, is it too loud while just cruising? Any drone? I switch back and forth between a family neighborhood and a student apartment complex, so it can't be too too loud.
I am a big fan of corsa. It is not that loud until you take the mid mufflers off but it is drone free, with or without mufflers. It gives more of a raspy sports car tone than my the setup.

I looked up 2017 challenger RT on their site and I did not see any exhaust system for the 5.7.

I just wish they made a 3 inch version to match my headers.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I am a big fan of corsa. It is not that loud until you take the mid mufflers off but it is drone free, with or without mufflers. It gives more of a raspy sports car tone than my the setup.

I looked up 2017 challenger RT on their site and I did not see any exhaust system for the 5.7.

I just wish they made a 3 inch version to match my headers.
Trust me (for the OP as well) there is no need to replace a '17+ 5.7 R/T's factory active exhaust. It is louder and nastier than the Scat Pack/SRT system. I know, I've now owned both. Even one of the moderators on this site (think it was Hal?) posted on how it's actually designed slightly different than the SRT system to sound good. I had a Flowmaster American Thunder cat back system on my '13 5.7 R/T and my '18's factory exhaust is louder with MUCH less drone than the Flowmaster setup.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Trust me (for the OP as well) there is no need to replace a '17+ 5.7 R/T's factory active exhaust. It is louder and nastier than the Scat Pack/SRT system. I know, I've now owned both. Even one of the moderators on this site (think it was Hal?) posted on how it's actually designed slightly different than the SRT system to sound good. I had a Flowmaster American Thunder cat back system on my '13 5.7 R/T and my '18's factory exhaust is louder with MUCH less drone than the Flowmaster setup.
Good to know! When I looked at the 2017 mid muffler delete I thought the stock set-up sounded way better than my 2015 stock set-up. When I looked up the 2017 exhaust system it looks more like a scat pack system (the resos are not big suitcases). And I remember Hal mentioning the cat back is 2.75".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts