Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Home-link buttons work without the ignition/acc key being on or the FOB needing to be anywhere near the vehicle. This creates an unsafe situation where someone could break the window and push the button to gain access to your house through the garage door. Thankfully mines always inside the garage but they should have programmed this feature differently...
Justin

·
Registered
978 Posts
^^^ agreed.

I hated my Mazdaspeed because I'd park it in the garage and turn it off but then I couldn't close the garage door because the "home link" (Mazda's version) was dead unless the ignition was on.

The Challenger doesn't have that issue and I love that. Plus, my car is parked INSIDE the garage (where it belongs) so breaking into my car to open the garage door when you're already in the garage doesn't seem like much of a threat.

Not to mention my garage door (side door) is tied in to the alarm system so if you've broken in that far, chances are my gun is being loaded and you should leave in a hurry. :browsmiley:

·
Registered
726 Posts
yeah!

^^^ agreed.

I hated my Mazdaspeed because I'd park it in the garage and turn it off but then I couldn't close the garage door because the "home link" (Mazda's version) was dead unless the ignition was on.

The Challenger doesn't have that issue and I love that. Plus, my car is parked INSIDE the garage (where it belongs) so breaking into my car to open the garage door when you're already in the garage doesn't seem like much of a threat.

Not to mention my garage door (side door) is tied in to the alarm system so if you've broken in that far, chances are my gun is being loaded and you should leave in a hurry. :browsmiley:
Awesome ending Ironside!
1: Did I invite you over?
2: Do I know you?
3: May I help you or Are you lost?
4: What was that loud bang and why is your hand wrapped around my compressor? Not necessarily in that order.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread or anything, but how do you setup the homelink? I held down the #1 button until it said training, and held down the garage door opener, then the home link said trained. But when I hit it, the button just said training again, it never opened my door.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
No one should ever rely on their garage door to stop entry to their house. No one should ever leave their car unlocked in their garage either. I don't leave anything in my garage that would break my heart if it was stolen either. I understand your concern and it's good people are aware of it, so thanks for posting, but garages are very easy to get into anyway, certainly ones with automatic openers. Also, it is always easier to just break a window to gain access to homes anyway, now that's something to worry about. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
978 Posts
No one should ever rely on their garage door to stop entry to their house. No one should ever leave their car unlocked in their garage either. I don't leave anything in my garage that would break my heart if it was stolen either. I understand your concern and it's good people are aware of it, so thanks for posting, but garages are very easy to get into anyway, certainly ones with automatic openers. Also, it is always easier to just break a window to gain access to homes anyway, now that's something to worry about. Just my 2 cents...
Hence the need for security system, guard dog and hand gun! When it is your family involved you take NO chances! :bigthumb:

...To train homelink you have to click and hold your original garage door opener while holding the train button so Homelink can acquire the code.

It's in the "quick reference" manual included with your car.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Yes, the potential failure is relying on the overhead garage door to restrict entry to your home. The door inside your garage should have a dead bolt and you should use it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread or anything, but how do you setup the homelink? I held down the #1 button until it said training, and held down the garage door opener, then the home link said trained. But when I hit it, the button just said training again, it never opened my door.
You probably have a "rolling code" opener. Different procedure. Involves hitting a button on the actual mechanism (not the remote). Read the instructions again. :)

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I'd just be happy if I had a garage to put mine in!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Have a German Shepherd, full alarm system, several guns and my car stays in the garage. However I don't like the idea of the Homelink being powered all the time and giving someone an easy way in if the car happens to be in the driveway for the night while another project is inside, it's like leaving a key to the front door in a glass break in case of emergency housing. The garage door is a wisper quite which you literally cannot here inside and its set-up as a delayed entry so there's enough time to get to the panel for a disarm. I might not know they were in until it was to late. I can see how some may like it on all time but I bet most assume it's powered off with car, I did. Would be nice to have that as a Starscan or EVIC option to change it. I guess the other option is to Slide the lock out switch on the wall switch so the system won't respond to any remote openers...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Many newer garage door openers have a button that turns off the receiver for just this scenario-- I have one and it works great.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Er... if you didn't have the home link, then you would have a small door opener cliped to the visor or in the center console or something, and they could smash your window and use that? So whats the difference? Unless you always took the door opener inside the house with you before? (that said, my chunky door opener broke a couple months ago and I replaced it with a small key chain fob Amazon.com: Sears Craftsman Garage Door Opener Mini Key Chain Remote: Home Improvement)

·
Banned
162 Posts
Well,
I am a cop and let me just say this. They will just kick your door open, trust me, I have never seen someone use a garage door opener to gain access to a house or garage. Let me tell you, working in a rather large city as a cop for 8 years, I have only caught people in a house once, and it wasn't because the alarm was good or they had a dog.. it was because of neighbours who saw the S**t rat breaking in and called 911. Get to know your neighbours, keep you house exterior lights on, sensor lights and you should be okay for the most part.
A house alarm is a help, but if they want in, the greatest help is your watchful neighbours. Just a help to all us challenger owners , be safe, keep your heads up!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I agree HomeLink needs to work with ignition off, keys removed from car, whatever just like an opener you would have clipped on your visor. Dodge got this right.

We used to have a Mazda 3s but it didn't have Homelink. I'm so glad I didn't pay for that option now.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All good points but I think some may wrongly believe, as I did, that it wouldn't work with the ignition off providing one more "easy" way in. I wouldn't have a "clicker" in my car for just this reason and will be deprogramming my Homelink.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Remember the homelink button doesn't actually activate on a quick push release motion like it used to when using a "clicker" box on a visor. On mine i have to press and hold it pressed for a second or two before it actually activates the door.

If your opener has a rolling code system, there are extra steps to take to get it to learn the code. It will not learn the code by using the remote clicker like it will in standard openers. (most sears systems are rolling code these days) I tried it that way first myself, and it would not learn the correct code until i had to stand on a stool, press the 'test" button on the opener itself, then jump down and get in the car and go thru the steps to program the button. I think i had to go thru it two or three times before the code stuck in the system properly and worked...of course i had to figure out how long to hold the button pressed also.

A real thief isn't going to break into your car to get a garage door opener to gain access, they are more likely to jump the fence and go to a backdoor where they can just break the door in, or go thru a window, or they are going to go thru the front door, which is usually easy enough to get thru for most that break in houses for a living. I have no worries about someone breaking in while i'm home, all i need is for the dogs to bark twice at the noise, and a second to slide the shell into the chamber, then a few seconds afterward to insert a crowbar/knife into the palm of the dead intruder. (not really required in this state, but still helps to avoid lawsuits)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Doesn't matter. If someone wants to get in to your house they will.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 20 of 26 Posts