Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone powder coated their classic wheels. I have a buddy that offered to do my wheels. I have wanting a black rim, I think the matte black would look good. I would also paint the calipers red while I had the wheels off. Any pics or suggestions

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I do my own powdercoating, and while I won't tell you Im an expert, by any means, I will tell you that it is not real straight forward powdercoating the classic wheels.

I assume your buddy has more than just a kitchen oven to powdercoat in. The wheels will not fit in a standard kitchen oven. Need something bigger.

First off, all the clear coat that is on them will have to be removed, and the metal scuffed up to allow the powder to adhere properly, and in the right quantity. Once you do that, there may be no turning back.

If you're going to do the whole wheel, it's pretty straightforward, but doing just the rim or edge of the wheel, that again, will be tough to keep the line perfectly straight.

If it were me (and I've considered this), I would look at spraying my wheels with Plasti-Dip. I've seen one or two people do this, and it looks great. Plus, if you don't like it, you can just peel it off, and you're back to the original wheel.

I think you're idea sounds great and will really pop with the white/red stripe. Just want you to be prepared and offering a different approach that you can easily return from.

Mike

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, thanks for the quality info, I will certainly look into the plasti-dip. Any info on that. My buddy actually sends off all his stuff to a guy(local) who has a powder coating company. He says it will cost about 150$ a wheel. He did advise that it is a process, but the end result is worth it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I am no expert on this, but I believe they will strip the chrome off the rim by dipping it in some kind of solution, then prep it for powdercoating, then powdercoat, bake it. Like I said, not an expert, but this is the basic process.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Mike, thanks for the quality info, I will certainly look into the plasti-dip. Any info on that. My buddy actually sends off all his stuff to a guy(local) who has a powder coating company. He says it will cost about 150$ a wheel. He did advise that it is a process, but the end result is worth it.
I agree that in the end, it is worth it... you just won't be able to go back if you don't like it. $150 a wheel is a pretty good price. If I were you, I'd try to see some examples of their work. If you're sure that's what you want to do, I'd say go for it.

Plasti-Dip you can buy from Lowes or Home Depot. Comes in a spray can or a dip can. Get the spray can. Clean the wheels real good and then spray it on. It dries almost immediately. I used it on the window trim on my 66 Fairlane and it worked great.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts