Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Audio Gurus,

I need opinions on Power Acoustik Amplifiers. My Audio guy i trying to sell me on them but i cant find anything good about them online other than the raves on the website.

What do you guys think of there equipment?:silly:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Maybe a step up from flea market....maybe.

If this is what your audio guy is recommending, without you putting any qualifiers on the item you're looking for, then you need to find a new audio guy. What I mean is, if you told him you need 2000 watts for under $200, then he's doing the best he can. If you just said you need a new sub amp, and he recommended Power Acoustik, I wouldn't call him my audio guy anymore.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Im not so sure i trust the guy for audio stuff at this point. Hes been installing and selling for years and i have a budget i want to stick to, but i want quality stuff as well and will be willing to stretch budget a little to accommodate.

Plan is to Run 2 JL 13W3 in the truck, toss some Pioneer 4 way 6x9's and Pioneer 4 way 6.5's. JL Clean sweep for OEM integration. Then i asked what amps he would run and he suggested PA.. I had never heard of them. Thanks for the input though.

I will probably go with some JL amps for the subs and speakers.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
JL is a good brand, i just think their stuff is...over priced.

And why the hell are you wanting to run 4-way speakers? You are better off running components. There are so many brands out there and so many models of speakers and amps you can choose from that are better quality for less money. Give us some more info, we can point you in the right direct and give you helpful information.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What Kind of Info do you want?

My Box is being built for 2 JL13W3 2.8 Subs
Floating Amp Rack in Middle of trunk

I want to upgrade speakers inside, and still keep factory deck.

What are your Reccomendations?

·
Registered
89 Posts
As Subxero said the JL amps are good especially the HD series however a little pricey. I have a JL HD 900/5 waiting to be installed when its not so cold out. Definitely stay away from the 4 way speakers and just go with some good components up front and some two ways in the rear for rear fill. Let us know your price range and we can recommend some quality equipment. Me personally i would put all my $$$$ into a nice set of component speakers and add rear speakers later on if you really need them. I would steer clear of the clean sweep and look into either the JBL MS-8 or a Rockford 3Sixty.3 for processing.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
what are you looking to get out of your system, sound quality with some decent volume, good extension in your doors? or are you just looking for loud as hell?

·
Registered
956 Posts
The easier version of that question is, what are the last 5 songs you cranked up?

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am Def looking for Sound quality. Doesnt need to be crazy loud. I do enjoy hearing things. The Car is a show car so trunk is being totally taken up by sub box and Amp rack.
Here is a Rough Sketch of what the trunk will look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
2k is a decent amount of money to spend, buying JL that money will go fast, my JL equipment alone without the other equipment was just over $6,800

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I think if you concentrate on your front soundstage, you should be good. You will have the subs in the trunk which will create that filling sound effect. I tried just having fronts with nothing in the back and it was unsettling almost, just didnt feel right to me. Having a sub rounding out things in the back helped immensely.

$2000 can be a tight budget. The JL subs alone you chose, if you paid retail are setting you back around $500-$700, if you bought online it would be around $400. That's already a sizable portion of your budget.

SOmething you need to consider when choosing products is how you would like to be able to tweak your system. The stock headunit sucks. So then you could rely on a processor like the JBL MS8 which is ~$800 brand new or you can get something like the clean sweep to clean up the signals being sent to your amplifers. If you go the "clean sweep" route you are then relying more on the amplifiers crossover controls and gain controls etc to tweak your equipment. Some OEM interface stuff like the clean sweep give you some crossover control.

You budget is tight with the magnitude of your install. I have a tight budget too and as i have progressed with my install i have realized what i really need and what i dont. My headunit was a great choice given my budget. I got a Pioneer DEH-80PRS Pioneer DEH-80PRS CD receiver at Crutchfield.com and it is great for customization in an affordable package, tons of options. I know you dont want to swap out your headunit but with your budget, a quality processor isnt necessarily in your budget. The headunit allows for EQ work, time alignment, crossover settings down to 50hz (most only go to 60hz), you can do a 3-way crossover network with it too! By using a headunit like this it eliminates your "need" to have good internal crossovers on your amps. Unfortunately, better audiophile quality decks don't really have touchscreens which sucks, theres a give and take though. If you wanted a touchscreen deck, i'd go with a good process like the MS8 or an Audison.

Just to mention, with the crossover stuff, if you buy a component set with a crossover for the set, you dont need such high powered crossover ability because everything is already crossed for you. You can remove the crossover they gfive you and you can rely on the amps or Headunit to do that work. Ususally its more money this way because you are using more channels on your amp to power each driver individually because ieach needs to be crossed differently whereas using the factory external crossover would allow you to power all the drivers off of one channel. Make sense?

Equipment wise, sundown audio makes great gear although i prefer zed audio to them because their amps are more refined. Sundown still makes some good amps though, i have one in my car powering my sub and very satisfied with its sound quality.

I just bought the sundown component set and im awaiting to install it. It looks to be good quality. You can also look at hybrid audio and rainbow audio as other options but there are also less expensive brands out there. I chase sound quality whenever i can, i am a perfectionist.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Have to agree on $2000 being tight.

My breakdown so far is;
Focals and RF Subs $2000
RF Amps $1000
MS-8 Processor $400
Install costs $600
I am working on my amp rack this week but I still see possibly another $1000 ahead.

That's closer to $5000 even with getting the MS-8 at almost half off list price.

Your mileage may very but you get the idea. If you use quality components and pay someone else to install $2000 won't go very far. The elaborate amp rack you have drawn can't possibly be cheap.

Doing it in individual steps helps some but these upgrades can shoot north of $4000-$5000 easily. The sad part is that is still on top of the $2000+ spent on the factory setup in the first place

·
Registered
89 Posts
^_^ My thoughts exactly. A $2000 budget and having someone else do the work is not going to go far. Just to give you an idea I priced a piece of 3/8" plexiglass today 12"x24" at the local glass shop and they quoted me close to $300. This included some custom fab work cutting holes for my subs and rounding the ends. That's the price you pay when you are talking show quality install. On the other hand the sketch looks sick. Can't wait to see the finished product.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts