Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
If a shop is doing the work on that trunk, that's your $2k right there. A full trunk fiberglass install is going to run you at least $1000 in materials, wiring, and labor. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's the full $2000 without any equipment unless you work out a sponsorship deal. Do you already have a shop in mind? Have you talked to them about the trunk project yet? Your car is already show quality on the outside. You might be able to find someone locally that will sponsor you, but then you'll have stickers and logos all over the car.

Regarding equipment suggestions, SQ doesn't really describe it very well. There are different types of SQ. Some equipment is better tailored for different kinds of music. The substage suggestions would be heavily influenced by the genre of music you like, but the fronts will be too. In fact, if you're shooting for a show car, that alone can make a big difference in any recommendations. What a car show judge likes (that isn't a big audio guy) can be entirely different from what a car audio judge looks for. Bright tweeters are a fan favorite, but will give you a headache in long listening sessions.

The head unit too would be radically different based on if you want this car to win car shows or if you want it to give you adjustability. A single DIN like the 80prs SuBXeRo recommended is a great mid to upper level SQ deck, but it's not going to win on aesthetics. For a car show car I'd definitely want a double DIN loaded down with all the bells and whistles (navigation, DVD, voice command, bluetooth, iPhone support, multiple screen support, custom backgrounds, maybe even 5.1 surround). Right now that means you don't get 31 band EQ (1/3 octave) or even more than 3 parametric bands of EQ, active processing, DSP filtering, and narrows down your options for high voltage preamp outputs a good bit. A loaded double DIN is also going to retail for over a grand. It can make a big difference if you're looking for trophies at some of the bigger regional shows. The single DIN adapter bezel isn't great looking. It works fine and it's functional (mine's got a little cubby hole under the deck), but it doesn't flow the best with the interior.

·
Registered
956 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
www.tapplastics.com

Acrylic Sheets - Clear : TAP Plastics

$300? wtf it costs $30

Use the site above, i have used them before!

basically, we can help you devise a good system, we just need to know hardcore finances and expenditures. What exactly has been done? How deep are you into things? what have you purchased so far?
Thanks for the link. That's way better than any place I have found so far. What's the quality the plexi they sell? The cutting is where things get expensive. The local shop I got my quote from charges by the cut on glass. Most places won't sell you a small piece like I mentioned unless they have some drop stock left over from a previous customer. Hell for $30 I will try and cut the plexi on with my router.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i had purchased some plastics glue from them and then some acrylic tubes for cathodes at one point. The plastic seemed quality to me. I will tell you though, i did a ton of plexi work in high school for projects in the tech lab and you need to be concious of your cutting speed as it can melt the plexi, bandsaws with big teeth with kind of chatter and chip the plastic a little not giving the most smooth cut. You can definitly sand it to give a smooth finished product. I didnt really router plexi at all so i cant give you input on that at all.

If you are joining plexi to plexi, for the love of god, use the glue meant for it. The plexi will crack before the bond does. You absolutely need to be careful with it though while it sets. Too much glue will overflow and dry clear, if you touch it....fingerprints galor and if your try to blow on it to dry it faster it can cause it to turn white a bit. Let it air dry.

check this section out for some useful tools
Plastic Tools & Supplies : TAP Plastics

use one of these applicators with a needle end to apply the plastic adhesive
Hypo-Type Solvent Cement Applicators : TAP Plastics

i think i bought this adhesive the last time, its been like 7 years haha
IPS Weld-On 4 Cement : TAP Plastics

or this one
IPS Weld-On 3 Cement : TAP Plastics

Honestly, i think the hardest part of an audio install barring custom enclosures and and other like is the integration of aftermarket with OEM. Running new wires and stuff is easy, just be patient with removing panels etc etc and those are things you can easily learn to do yourself with a little bit of patience. fiberglassing work and what not isnt something i have ever done so you may want t a shop to do it for you or you can learn yourself, do some testing to learn how to do it then go for the gusto. Car stuff is often do or don't or have someone do for you.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts