Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Power door locks acting crazy

19K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  TheFrankenberry 
#1 ·
Is there a module or something that controls power door locks and the signal from the key fobs? Door locks acting very strange, locking and unlocking all by its self just sitting in the garage.

#2 ·
The key fobs are poor quality Chinese made junk. I had both mine fail the same day,one the dealer failed to program it. The other the internal contacts were bad and eventually ran my car battery down. Dealer replaced one and programmed the other but I was still under warranty.If you routinely carry your keys in your pocket, DON'T.Service advisor said to hold the key on the edge and not to press the buttons more than necessary.

#3 ·
So the actual fobs are causing this behavior? Is this what your car did? The thing will just lock and unlock sitting there like its possessed repeatedly. I am afraid to leave it parked anywhere. I wonder does it only do it if the fobs are in the vicinity of the car? I need to test that.

#7 ·
The following information from the service manual on the power door locks may offer information on your issue.
POWER LOCKS

The instrument cluster locks or unlocks the doors when an actuation input signal from a door lock switch or Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is received. The instrument cluster turns on the output drivers and provides a voltage level to the door lock motor for a specified time. All passenger doors locks or unlocks using a mechanical button mounted on the door trim panel. The drivers door locks or unlocks by using the key cylinder.

DOOR LOCK MOTORS

The door lock motors are controlled by the instrument cluster. A positive and negative battery connection to the two motor terminals, causes the motor to move in one direction. Reversing the current causes the motor to move in the opposite direction.

POWER LOCKS

The most reliable, efficient, and accurate means to diagnose the power lock system requires the use of a scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures information.
Refer to the appropriate wiring information.
Following are tests that will help to diagnose the hard wired components and circuits of the power lock system. However, these tests may not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of this system. In order to obtain conclusive testing of the power lock system, the CAN data bus network must be checked.

PRELIMINARY DIAGNOSIS

As a preliminary diagnosis for the power lock system, note the system operation while you actuate both the Lock and Unlock functions with the power lock switches and with the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter. Then, proceed as follows:

• If the entire power lock system fails to function with either the power lock switches or the RKE transmitter, check the fuse in the Junction Block (JB).
  • If the power lock system functions with both power lock switches, but not with the RKE transmitter, proceed to diagnosis of the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system.
  • If the power lock system functions with the RKE transmitter, but not with one or both power lock switches, proceed to diagnosis of the door lock switches.
  • If the driver side power lock switch operates only the driver side front door power lock motor, but all other power lock motors operate with the passenger side power lock switch or the RKE transmitter, use a scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information to diagnose the CAN data bus.
  • If only one power lock motor fails to operate with both power lock switches and the RKE transmitter, use a scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information to diagnose the CAN data bus.

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY

The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system locks and unlocks the doors and liftgate, turns on the interior lamps, and arms and disarms the Vehicle Theft Security System (if equipped). The RKE system operates on non-switched battery current through a fuse in the Integrated Power Module (IPM), so that the system remains operational regardless of the ignition switch position.

#8 ·
I have also noticed the door lock/unlock switched in the doors work and dont work intermittenly as well. Its like the thing has a mind of it's own.

#9 ·
Has anyone replaced their instrument cluster themselves? Does it need to go to dealer for a flash or something after? I assume it would need to to get the odometer? It ran battery down just sitting in garage

#10 ·
Once the fob contacts go bad the door lock or in my case the trunk lock will run until the car battery runs down.

#12 ·
I've had to open my key fob several times to stop my trunk from constantly opening. I even had to re-glue the bits of metal that make contact to the circuit board. so far, that has been the best fix for me. Before I had issues like the trunk opening, the doors unlocking and even the windows rolling down as I walked up. (that last one sucked in the rain!)

#14 ·
I even had to re-glue the bits of metal that make contact to the circuit board.
Mine was going crazy locking and unlocking and this was the solution (after replacing the battery twice to no avail). Once I fully opened the fob up the small contact discs for the buttons were all over. I put'em back in place with a dab of glue and haven't had a problem since.

#13 ·
Anyone else have this problem with random locking and unlocking of doors? Have replaced fob bateries and it will do it with both fobs 50 yards away in the house so 99% sure its not the fobs. Have been sitting in it when it has done it and notice instrument guage flicker at same time, needles bounce slightly and odometer flashes on and off for split second.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.