Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been having a problem lately. If I drive my 17 Challenger Scat Pack for more than 30-45 minutes and try to romp on the gas, I start to accelerate and then, at about 4,500rpm, the engine starts to stutter and loses power to the point that I have the pedal to the floor and it barely accelerates. I can feel the car shaking a bit when it happens. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
Pull fuse #31 to reset the PCM adaptives.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,215 Posts
I've been having a problem lately. If I drive my 17 Challenger Scat Pack for more than 30-45 minutes and try to romp on the gas, I start to accelerate and then, at about 4,500rpm, the engine starts to stutter and loses power to the point that I have the pedal to the floor and it barely accelerates. I can feel the car shaking a bit when it happens. Any help would be great.
Any mods?

No CEL? No warning on the dash? A Dodge diagnostic computer might be able to pull some Dodge specific codes that may not in them selves cause a CEL but are logged under extraordinary circumstances. (When I had my Hellcat in for a goofy +paddle shift problem the shop foreman connected a Dodge diagnostic computer to the car and found several low power error codes. There had been no CEL, no warning message indicating any problem with the power.)

Absent a CEL or some warning about the engine in limp mode, I'm thinking the behavior is fuel related.

Fuel supply ok? You sure the tank has enough fuel? Have you changed the fuel filter recently? Did the behavior appear after a fill up? (Thinking "bad" gasoline.)

Fuel pumps can fail a number of ways. Ideally just stop working is probably the best. Next (maybe) is if the fuel pump works but not 100% and the engine acts up from the git go. The last is when the fuel pump works ok for a while then acts up.

While I can't say for sure the symptoms suggest the last type of fuel pump problem.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,813 Posts
Is traction control on? If there is any wheel slip (you may not hear or feel it) torque management kicks to regain traction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 21 scat pack 6 speed and I noticed the same thing happening to me today. I only have 1100 miles on it. And honestly I’m terrified. I don’t think the fuse would do anything for me because it’s not automatic... have you found a way to fix it?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Does it happen at 4500 rpm in any gear?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,447 Posts
No Check Engine Light accompanies this behavior?

If no, that’s indeed a head-scratcher...

The behavior description paints a picture of an engine clearly operating abnormally, and given the hundreds of DTCs that the PCM can trip to signify abnormal operation, it is very strange that none are tripped during these incidents.

Im not not questioning anyone’s details here, I’m simply saying I’m at a loss to try to help diagnose what might be going on if the car itself doesn’t even think anything is out of the ordinary here.

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
6 Posts
You know as well as I do second gear is a monster. And today it was just blah... like nothing to it. It was only 67 here in Virginia so it’s definitely not the heat. I felt like I was driving my old maxima today. Just an FYI I have a K&N CAI and a Borla cat back. But I put those on pretty much immediately and the car drove great.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Are the M6 cars rpm limited until a certain # of miles has accrued?

For the OP, it's really odd there's no CEL. A loss of fuel from a bad fuel pump relay, fuel pump, filter, bad fuel, etc... would create a lean misfire that would set a code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No Check Engine Light accompanies this behavior?
No lights at all... I wish there was. Than I could at least take it to the dealership with proof of a problem. It is worth noting that early in the day it was wet But I lost power later when the sun was out and the roads were dry. I don’t know what’s going on but I know it’s not the same as it was yesterday.

Are the M6 cars rpm limited until a certain # of miles has accrued?

Yes I believe it’s somewhere around 700 miles. In the beginning launch mode was inaccessible. (Not that I would dare do that with a brand new car I was just messing with the different drive modes) even know it will let me I’ve still yet to do it.

·
Premium Member
9,447 Posts
Alright, this is a starting point at least I think. If you can recreate the behavior at will, that will make sure to avoid the dreaded “Cannot replicate customer complaint” response if you take it in to be looked at.

But before you do that, I think there is some steps you can try to help troubleshoot for yourself. What happens if you go WOT and make sure to shift before the tach hits 4.5K?

If this issue is somehow tied to that RPM, that would be significant. Confirming it is tied to a set RPM (and thus something to do with the PCM I would think), should be possible by shifting before it gets there, right?

In other words, the behavior could conceivably be tied to the engine and something being up with it operating at WOT, or it could be somehow induced, or a response to something, initiated by the PCM (a safety measure of sorts maybe).

Verifying the behavior only occurs at a set RPM would be one way to rule one of those out it seems like to me...

Reactions: Bac130

·
Premium Member
9,447 Posts
If you can record a video of the behavior, even if it’s just the audio portion that captures anything, that would be a big help I think to impart just what the behavior is like when it occurs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you can record a video of the behavior, even if it’s just the audio portion that captures anything, that would be a big help I think to impart just what the behavior is like when it occurs.
So I took her out a few times today and... nothing. Drove perfect. Admittedly I didn’t drive nearly as long today. I don’t know... now I feel dumb. Something was definitely up yesterday though. Thank you guys for your input and advice.

·
Premium Member
9,447 Posts
So I took her out a few times today and... nothing. Drove perfect. Admittedly I didn’t drive nearly as long today. I don’t know... now I feel dumb. Something was definitely up yesterday though. Thank you guys for your input and advice.
Well that’s good it isn’t acting up now, but now I’m REALLY curious as to what the culprit was. 🧐

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack, M6
52 Posts
So I think I had a similar issue happen today with my M6 Scat Pack. Didn't matter what gear I was in, if I put the pedal down to more than 50% throttle or so, it'd just lose all power and hardly accelerate, though it didn't matter what RPM I was at. I took a recording of it, but doing know an easy way to share it.

Regardless, I pulled over and shut the car off and turned it back on and it was fine. There were no CELs or anything. I noticed it began happening after I was shifting and getting on the gas pretty aggressively /quickly after the shift.

I too worry what it may have been.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack, M6
52 Posts
Yeah but I wasn't close to it lol. But it would limit the revs, wherever I happened to be when I got on it. It'd lock up at whatever RPM I was at when I leaned in past 50% throttle. It limit me at 2500, 3000, 4500, didn't matter

1 - 20 of 26 Posts