Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you power shift? I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. Feels like I'll mess up the tranny - just seems hard on it.

Rev matching - again any of you do this? I do but I don't do the heel toe method - with my manual just before I shift I blip the throttle. So maybe I'm doing it incorrectly.

I've heard of guys who powershift at the drag strip - yes?? Just seems like it will be really brutal on the tranny!

·
Vendor
12,940 Posts
Do any of you power shift? I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. Feels like I'll mess up the tranny - just seems hard on it.

Rev matching - again any of you do this? I do but I don't do the heel toe method - with my manual just before I shift I blip the throttle. So maybe I'm doing it incorrectly.

I've heard of guys who powershift at the drag strip - yes?? Just seems like it will be really brutal on the tranny!
https://www.auto-blip.com/

worth it if tracking the car
Luke

·
Registered
629 Posts
Probably the best way to learn proper shifting is with a non-synchro trans, not using the clutch.
Once you have mastered that, it's just a matter of speeding things up a bit, letting the synchros deal with what should be minor mismatches.

Like you, I couldn't speed shift. Not even a rental car.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Having a short shifter helps....thats for sure lol.

Our cars have big beefy tremecs. They might be heavy, noisy, and even want to fight you back some (2nd gear *cough*cough) , but mine has taken quite the beating. A couple of times wont hurt anything, but dont make it a habit. Also, dont wait untill redline if you’re gonna no lift shift, maybe rip into the next gear around 5500~ish

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,678 Posts

My first experience with power shifting was on a motorcycle that had fitted a kill button on the handle bar. The process was when time to shift leave the throttle wide open and hit the kill button and concurrently with this shift to the next higher gear then release the button. With the kill button which momentarily cut power to the engine the process was rather tame. Shift times were very quick.

It was sometime later when I got my first exposure to a power shift in a car when I got a ride in a pretty high performance car.

The driver launched the car then after the car left the start line and gained speed and I was anticipating the upshift I swear he stamped so hard/fast on the clutch pedal I thought he was going to put his foot through the floor and concurrently with this shifted the transmission to 2nd. He repeated this for 2nd to 3rd. And he just didn't delicately move the shift lever. The speed/force he used to shift, if the shift lever hadn't the strength of a skyscraper support beam he would have bent the thing.

I have never power shifted a car. In drag racing power shifting can be a winning technique but it can take a toll on the clutch and tranny. At other times I believe it uncalled for unless the driver hates his car.

On the subject of rev matching, I have rev matched when necessary but with my style of driving it is not that necessary. In general I drive in such a way the car is in a gear that can handle just about any situation. It is rare then that I have to down shift. Also, my cars are powerful enough that if I need to pass I can just press down on the gas pedal and get the pass over with in nearly no time.

Actually with the Hellcat which has plenty of power -- to state the obvious -- I do down shift, but it helps my car has the A8 automatic and with the -paddle I can get the gearbox down in a lower gear that has the engine screaming in the sweet spot of its power band and ready to go in just a fraction of a second.

To down shift the Hellcat like that and floor the gas pedal is to experience some brutal acceleration. Amazing. Actually scary too. The car gains speed at an ungodly rate.

My JCW is a 6-speed manual and it has built in rev matching. Kind of cool and I sometimes downshift for no reason other than I get to experience this. The down shifts are butter smooth with no lurch of the car or protest from the gearbox.

However, it took me a bit of time with the car to "unlearn" the habit I had of rev matching when downshifting.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Actually with the Hellcat which has plenty of power -- to state the obvious -- I do down shift, but it helps my car has the A8 automatic and with the -paddle I can get the gearbox down in a lower gear that has the engine screaming in the sweet spot of its power band and ready to go in just a fraction of a second.
That, I think, is the true beauty of the auto.

When behind a car, waiting for an opportunity to pass, there's no need to manually downshift in advance hoping that it turns out to be doable.
When it is clear to pass, quickly dropping a few gears with the paddle and stomping on it gets the job done.

The only downside is that turning on the blinker will have to wait until the downshifts are taken care of.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,678 Posts
That, I think, is the true beauty of the auto.

When behind a car, waiting for an opportunity to pass, there's no need to manually downshift in advance hoping that it turns out to be doable.
When it is clear to pass, quickly dropping a few gears with the paddle and stomping on it gets the job done.

The only downside is that turning on the blinker will have to wait until the downshifts are taken care of.

Very seldom am I in a situation where I have to really try very hard to pass another car. Most of my driving is on multi lane highways/freeways. I pass a number of vehicles every day with nothing more than a lane change and maybe just a bit of extra throttle. There is no drama that's for sure.

I have not been on a 2 lane highway since July 4 and the previous time was months prior. Even then often passing is not really that common. Where I live and drive and drive on 2 lane roads there are still too many driveways, cross streets, where a vehicle can come from at any time. There are orchards and such where some piece of farm or orchard equipment can appear at any time. Speed limits are low -- 50mph or less -- and there is enforcement. I don't run with my V1 in the Hellcat -- even if I did I would still not speed -- so I just cool my jets and go along with the flow. Often the slower vehicle will turn off soon anyhow. In those cases where I do pass almost invariably in not much time I end up behind another slow moving vehicle, so I have not gained anything

Even those rare times I do pass on a 2 lane road I do so with minimal drama. No high speed blast past the car being passed. Just a quick, safe, efficient pass is what I shoot for. If in auto mode the transmission doesn't even down shift. In manual mode I might take it down a gear not because of any real need just because I can.

When I down shift in the Hellcat then follow this with some spirited acceleration it is just for entertainment to experience the power if only for a few seconds. From a stop/low speed the car is limited by tire grip. At higher speeds -- well, as long as the speed is high enough -- tire spin is not a problem and the car isn't subjected to the loads a hard launch from a stop creates.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
https://www.auto-blip.com/

worth it if tracking the car
Luke
Are you currently using this?
I have thougt about it but was a little skeptical. The Camaros and Vette's come with it already. Kind of surprised FCA didn't implement it as well, but then again the challenger isn't technically considered a track ready car off the line. Still a nice to have even for some daily drving scenarios.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Even those rare times I do pass on a 2 lane road I do so with minimal drama. No high speed blast past the car being passed. Just a quick, safe, efficient pass is what I shoot for. If in auto mode the transmission doesn't even down shift. In manual mode I might take it down a gear not because of any real need just because I can.
Very different driving scenarios, obviously. I have nothing but 2-laners around here, and not many straight portions.
Then there are double yellows, line of sight, approaching traffic, etc. that limits the possibilities for passing.

Just a quick, safe, efficient pass is what I shoot for, too. That means downshifting several gears to get by as quickly as possible, not wanting to (or able to) stay in the wrong lane any longer than necessary.

Will I catch up to another vehicle within several miles? Most likely. Then the process starts over.
And with the Challenger the process is both painless and fun.

·
Vendor
12,940 Posts
Are you currently using this?
I have thougt about it but was a little skeptical. The Camaros and Vette's come with it already. Kind of surprised FCA didn't implement it as well, but then again the challenger isn't technically considered a track ready car off the line. Still a nice to have even for some daily drving scenarios.
yes at first had some issues, but got it squared away, biggest issue I didnt trust it, and the connections have to be soldered and perfect
Luke

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,734 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts