Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
Does the power steering work?

My knowledge about electric power steering systems is nil. I would refer you to the car's owners manual and what it says to do in the event of a power steering error message/warning light.

Here's what my 2020 Scat Pack owners manual has on this:

"This warning light will turn on when there's a fault with the Electric Power Steering (EPS) system. Refer to “Electric Power Steering” in “Starting And Operating” for further information."

And:

"The Electric Power Steering system will give you good vehicle response and increased ease of maneuverability in tight spaces. The system will vary its assist to provide light efforts while parking and good feel while driving. If the electric steering system experiences a fault that prevents it from providing assist, you will still have the ability to steer the vehicle manually."

Then:

"If the Electric Power Steering warning icon is displayed and the “SERVICE POWER STEERING” or the “POWER STEERING ASSIST OFF – SERVICE SYSTEM” message is displayed within the instrument cluster display, this indicates the vehicle needs to be taken to the dealer for service."

Of course all the above comes with a warning:

"Continued operation with reduced assist could pose a safety risk to yourself and others. Service should be obtained as soon as possible."

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,309 Posts
If you have no Power Steering at all then the Electric Power Steering Pump has Failed. It needs to be replaced which also includes flushing the Rack, new Special Electrical Power Steering Fluid and Pump always flush the system out, only use the Fluid designed for the Pump... You will need a shop to replace the unit unless your pretty advance with Mechanics and have the stuff to do it. The Pumps are pretty expensive.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
By diagnosing it and figuring it out? Or at the very least provide us with a few more details?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Can we do something about first time posters who don't introduce themselves, don't provide any details about their car whatsoever, only want free help, and never reply? With how often it is happening on this forum, it's pretty much just spam at this point.

I want to apologize in advance if that won't end up being the case here. I don't want to be rude. For all I know, maybe the OP actually intends on joining the forum as a contributing member. But this is not a very good introduction.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
Can we do something about first time posters who don't introduce themselves, don't provide any details about their car whatsoever, only want free help, and never reply? With how often it is happening on this forum, it's pretty much just spam at this point.

I want to apologize in advance if that won't end up being the case here. I don't want to be rude. For all I know, maybe the OP actually intends on joining the forum as a contributing member. But this is not a very good introduction.
Some come here in a panic and are focused on the car and its problems. They just want answers.

Also, they may have no real interest in cars as a door way to some social interaction even if it is just limited to being some part this site.

I don't really mind. I still want to help if I can. If the poster turns into a contributing member fine. If not that's fine too. In either case I do hope the OP reports back.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,701 Posts
Agreed, many just find as many forums related as they can, and post on them all to find answers. They may not be forum savvy, and language can also be a barrier (Dubai). Feel free to respond with helpful suggestions if you have them, or just roll your eyes and on to the next thread if it bothers you. It's life on any forum

A Guy

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Well it's little to no effort on the OP's part.

I think that if they really want help, they should at the very least provide a few details. The year and model for starters. Maybe when it happens? Any trouble codes?

He didn't reply after we asked for details. We need more to go on then just "How do I fix this?"

If it can't progress into an actually useful helpful thread for somebody, then otherwise it really is just spam. Sorry to say but we see this too often.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
737 Posts
Id go to Youtube. Always something there and maybe an easy fix.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,701 Posts
No, not spam. I hate spam with a passion, this doesn't even to begin to approach that. An annoyance perhaps...but no where near the level of spam

Is it good etiquette ? No. Would we all just appreciate a follow up? Certainly. But imagine someone who is having a problem, searches Google for somewhere to get help. Never been on a forum before. Joins several and posts the same question on all of them. Maybe he finds some help on one and sticks there. He doesn't return to all the others...likely didn't even note where he posted.

It's a quite common scenario. The idea that every one of them did this to irritate people is very unlikely. They just want help, and have no idea how to ask for it correctly, what info is needed, how to compose their question. Just imagine someone who is clueless about the whole situation, and just posts what they feel is the major issue

A Guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts