Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well comrades, I seem to have a peculiar situation on my 2011 Toxic Dodge Challenger ,that only has 163 miles ! This may sound strange and it is, but power steering fluid does not evaporate,right. I believe the Dodge Dealer said so too . See, about a year and a half ago I had to call a Dodge Dealer's mobile tech out to bring and install a new battery,since that was not only the OE ,but the Challenger had not been started up either for about 2 years before that ,too !!! Well,after installing a new MOPAR BATTERY it cranked up with no problem....I was surprised and the tech too. As I was about to put in gear the Steering [wheel] was quite stiff.... I mean I'm not real strong,but please..even the Mobile Tech saw this too. Now That cost about $300 and now I had to spend $180 for a tow to Dealer. They said the Pwr steering reservoir was EMPTY:surprise:,,, and that to really remedy would run about $1800 for a new Power steering pump !!! Great. Obvoiusly out of warranty,too !!! I was out of town for nearly two years and the Challenger was in the garage this whole time and when the car was backed out,there was no puddle of power steering fluid anywhere !!! So, this has been a mysterious incident.... Anyone have any thoughts ? Somewhat recently though I am beginning to wonder if the fluid was drained purposely,but see I had both key fobs and the Challenger was locked....So I'm guessing is it possible for the hood to be opened and/or the power steering fluid drained by underneath?

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,880 Posts
Never heard anything like this before. It can’t hurt to add fluid now and burp the pump and see what happens. Didn’t sound like you ran it dry for too long. At the very least you may be able to detect a leak. At the very best, it may remedy the problem? “Maybe” being the key word.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,710 Posts
Well comrades, I seem to have a peculiar situation on my 2011 Toxic Dodge Challenger ,that only has 163 miles ! This may sound strange and it is, but power steering fluid does not evaporate,right. I believe the Dodge Dealer said so too . See, about a year and a half ago I had to call ma Dodge Dealer's mobile tech out from the dealer to bring and install a new battery,since that was not only the OE ,but the Challenger had not been started up either for about 2 years before that ,too !!! Well,after installing a new MOPAR BATTERY it cranked up with no problem....I was surprised and the tech too. As I was about to put in gear the Steering [wheel] was quite stiff.... I mean I'm not real strong,but please..even the Mobile Tech saw this too. Now That cost about $300 and now I had to spend $180 for a tow to Dealer. They said the Pwr steering reservoir was EMPTY:surprise:,,, and that to really remedy would run about $1800 for a new Power steering pump !!! Great. Obvoiusly out of warranty,too !!! I was out of town for nearly two years and the Challenger was in the garage this whole time and when the car was backed out,there was no puddle of power steering fluid anywhere !!! So, this has been a mysterious incident.... Anyone have any thoughts ? Somewhat recently though I am beginning to wonder if the fluid was drained purposely,but see I had both key fobs and the Challenger was locked....So I'm guessing is it possible for the hood to be opened and/or the power steering fluid drained by underneath?

What I suspect happened is a valve in the powering steering system failed (or it was bad to begin with -- with just 163 miles the car is still quite new) and let fluid drain from the power steering reservoir into probably the rack.

In some cases the rack seal (or seals) can fail and the fluid seeps out past the bad seals -- this when the engine is running and the power steering rack is subjected to pressure when the wheel is turned in either direction and this could have happened the last time you had the car out -- but is caught by the dust boots. I watched a tech remove a dust boot from a rack that had a bad seal and he covered the dust boot with a shop rag cause when he removed the boot it popped off and sprayed some power steering fluid which would have made a mess had the rag not been over it.

Bottom line is there are more plausible explanations for what happened than someone going to the trouble to get into the engine compartment of a new car and only remove power steering fluid.

Might add I believe you will find the car doesn't like sitting unused and seals and gaskets will start to show the effects of lack of use. The effects will be leaks. I bought a 2003 car in 2009 with under 10K miles and as I drove the car it manifested various leaks: Rear main seal leak, water pump seal leak, hydraulic spoiler deployment/retraction system leaks, front diff axle flange seal leaks, radiator leaks, even the damn inside rear view mirror developed a leak.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Code:
Never heard anything like this before. It can’t hurt to add fluid now and burp the pump and see what happens. Didn’t sound like you ran it dry for too long. At the very least you may be able to detect a leak. At the very best, it may remedy the problem? “Maybe” being the key word.
Me neither.Well, I would have thought the dealer would have checked for a leak. It's been out of the dealer for at least a year now ,in a storage 10x20 garage. I start it up about twice a week...no oil on the piece of large carpet padding underneath.and the level in the res seems OK !...I'm going to reveal more of what I think may have happened !!:bandit:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What I suspect happened is a valve in the powering steering system failed (or it was bad to begin with -- with just 163 miles the car is still quite new) and let fluid drain from the power steering reservoir into probably the rack.

In some cases the rack seal (or seals) can fail and the fluid seeps out past the bad seals --

Bottom line is there are more plausible explanations for what happened than someone going to the trouble to get into the engine compartment of a new car and only remove power steering fluid.

Might add I believe you will find the car doesn't like sitting unused and seals and gaskets will start to show the effects of lack of use. The effects will be leaks.
I don't recall if I asked the dealer to contact Chrysler and see if they could fix it with an unusual event out of warranty with only 163 miles.Well you mean where ever the rack is,it would hold a whole reservoir amount of fluid ? Well,I'm beginning to suspect my wicked sister...at this point I do not put anything past her....See in Feb. of 2015 I,my brother were care-giving our Sweetheart 99 year old Mom and we wanted to get out of Chicagoland's Winter,since she had a level of Dementia as well as Parkinson's. My sister vehemently did not like that and there was a not nice incident at Aurelio's Pizza.She started a nasty Probate Guardianship court case in 2011. She even wondered ,' Where did you get the money for that Car ? See,with my pathetic financial history,she could not figure out how I got the $23,999 !! Well, we got a court order and she was not to have any contact with Mother.Well Mom's house got broken into, but we seem to have evidence that something happened several months before the so-called break-in !! The house was purposely damaged,it's uninhabitable and has extensive mold,,may be have to be demolished. The hot and cold faucets in the basement tubs were both turned FULL ON and we had a stand pipe in the floor drain,since we are on a flood plain and have got flooded many times in the 50 yrs we've been there. In April of 2016 the corrupt town's water dept called and said we had a $1700 water bill !! My common sense says that even if both toilet flappers were leaking since 5 months since I'd last been there would not amount to $1700.My brother told her to have the water shut off at the Buffalo Box.... Oh my this is getting long and Bad....Ok now our grass cutter calls and said to brother,' Didn't you have the water shut off ? Well yes,actually a month to that day...Why.. Well, he said, ' You've got water coming out of your basement windows...the basement is 6-7ft deep ..Like what the expletive is going on!! See, I believe but cannot prove [yet] that my sister was behind the break-in...See She did not know that I had Mother's signed Will in my possession....Mom was a coin collector too .Things were/are a big mess. I had also taken the computer and hid it in the house..in the basement actually! My Sansui stereo was still in my room. A brand new Sony LCD TV was very visible in the rec room and still there....Most of the light bulbs were removed....The lower bathroom shower pull on looks as though a Gorilla yanked the expletive out from the fixture,one of the little cold water tubes under the sink was removed and the kitchen faucets too were left on...Oh ,also 3 0f 4 gas stove burners were turned on....Now strange is one thing.that we got a reverse 911 call and said we'd been broken into but when any of us returned from California and before going into the house the Woman had told me to first come to the police station....Well, I never was able to get back home for over a year,since it was now taking both my brother and me to handle Mom....I firmly believe my sister was manipulating others like is her MO..She knows me too well and figured I don't like talking to Cops and so figured I'd go straight to house...if I had, I may have been Blown Up:frown:Also there was very strange damage to both levels of the roof. The upper roof was strangely damaged over Mom's and my bedrooms It's a tri-level house For months water/rain came in.Eventually straight down 3 levels to my Challenger,,which had a military parachute and another car cover over that as well as other items...Well we barely got home. There was water on the finish but it was/is OK....but would've not been in a short time !!! My sister became quite tight with both the Police and fire Chief. When we got home the houses across the street which were being bought out through FEMA/ILLINOIS FEMA [[ which ironically was my idea to the then Mayor for both sides of the street,but only the ones across were bought out]] were being used for Fire Dept training and they had very,very similar holes/damage to their roofs that ours had..We, unfortunately did not take pics of those and not ironically those homes very quickly demoed.My brother's corrupt attorney also called once and asked brother,'Is there a Dodge Charger in the Garage. My sister worked for 30+ years in the claims dept at State Farm Ins and also recently retired and ironically our local State Farm Agent hired her part time around the ironic time the house policy was canceled,but not before we attempted to file a claim, which has been denied and we don't have the funds to repair ,which is $150,000 min! We've gotten harrassed at least 3 times by the police and fire dept... I even heard one of the Expletive cops say to another,' Didn't you see that BOLO :notice posted at the station !!!Now, I've probably waited too long now to file a vandalism claim with , Yeh, you guessed it: State Farm . :crying:

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,710 Posts
Sorry, was not able to get through all that. (Needed some paragraphs...)

But from what I did read I guess the take away is someone out there might have a motive to go to the trouble of getting access to the car and attempting some vandalism.

In any case with the additional info/background of your situation I could then believe the problem was in fact due to someone removing the fluid.

You need to get a secure lock up for the car I think. There are worse things one can do than just removing the power steering fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts