Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil tonite and the rearmost power steering hose, parallell to the steering rack, is wet and there has been some leakage onto the belly pan. It appears to have been weeping for quite some time but it was dry at the last oil change 2,600 miles back. Also some oil has collected on the rack.

Has anyone else had this? SRT8 by the way...

D-

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
There is a recall on some cars I think it was on cars made in sumer of 10 for leaking power steering hoses. The Challengers were made between July 27-Aug26 2010

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a very early 09, built in November 08. I think the ones you refer to are 5.7 V8s.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
I seem to recall the recall of the power steering hose as well. It seems some would leak and could possibly cause a fire. Either way, it needs to be replaced. I believe it's a pressure hose. It should fall under warranty work.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I noticed the exact same thing when I changed my oil last weekend. I thought it was more the return line, but maybe the return line is wet only because it's next to the pressure line. Hard to say. I wiped them off as best I could so that I can go back and get a better idea where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I seem to recall the recall of the power steering hose as well. It seems some would leak and could possibly cause a fire. Either way, it needs to be replaced. I believe it's a pressure hose. It should fall under warranty work.

There is a recall, K26, but it relates to 2010 models with automatic transmissions and 5.7 V8s. That lets me out with a 6.1 and a manual.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mine is a 5.7 Manual, has the pressure hose with a seep at the crimp. Door panel trim cracking. Both will be taken care of soon at the dealer in a few weeks....

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed the exact same thing when I changed my oil last weekend. I thought it was more the return line, but maybe the return line is wet only because it's next to the pressure line. Hard to say. I wiped them off as best I could so that I can go back and get a better idea where the leak is coming from.

Was it the line closest to the rack? If so we may be chasing the same thing. I plan to take my camera to work with me tomorrow and put it up on a hoist and photograph it.

The service manager at my dealer is a friend of mine and I'm sure he will see to it but I want as much info as I can find to give to him.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is a 5.7 Manual, has the pressure hose with a seep at the crimp. Door panel trim cracking. Both will be taken care of soon at the dealer in a few weeks....
Is this down at the rack?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Was it the line closest to the rack? If so we may be chasing the same thing. I plan to take my camera to work with me tomorrow and put it up on a hoist and photograph it.

The service manager at my dealer is a friend of mine and I'm sure he will see to it but I want as much info as I can find to give to him.
I'm not sure which hose it was in relation to the rack. I can't picture it in my memory. But I do remember the hose that was most wet had a texture that made me think it was the return line rather than the pressure line. But I don't know for sure. If it dries up tomorrow, I'll get underneath tomorrow and take a look. Definitely post your pic tomorrow, I'll try to take one as well (I don't have a rack, though), and we'll compare notes.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Copy......

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had the same leak on mine. Just replaced a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Funny... mine isn't part of the recall, but my hose literally flew off last summer. I got in the car, started it up and heard this firehose sound, then watched fluid shooting out of my grill and spattering all over the garage wall. Scared the bejeebus out of me. Luckily I live like a mile from the Dodge dealer so I took it straight there (corners were fun...).

Turned out there was a bad clamp or something and the dang hose just shot off.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had a leak at the oil pressure switch that dripped on the oil filter that dripped on the power steering hoses and a few drops on the belly pan.

The fluid you saw was red in color right????

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a leak at the oil pressure switch that dripped on the oil filter that dripped on the power steering hoses and a few drops on the belly pan.

The fluid you saw was red in color right????
It wasn't possible to determine the color. The hose is covered with grime (dust from the graded road I live on) and I did not wipe the hose off because I want my dealer to see it in the original Greek.

I am planning to go into work tomorrow and get it up on the hoist and study it further. I was rushed last night and had to put it together and get home.

·
Registered
533 Posts
From where my hose was wet, it's not near enough to the oil filter and pressure switch to be motor oil. It is hard to tell, but I'm fairly certain it was power steering fluid. I, too, was unable to get underneath the car today to take photos. Tomorrow, I hope.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Autopsy complete

It's the return line.

The oil coating starts at the crimped return line connection at the RH K-frame, ahead of the rear K-frame cross member. The bellypan confirms it. PS fluid is leaking at the crimp and then migrating down the hose,toward the rack.

From left to right, the first photo shows the hoses at the rack. I wiped the return connection off before the photo was taken.
The second and fourth photos show the return line on the RH frame rail at the last crimped connection before the return line enters the cooler. The hose is dry above this point.
The third photo shows the top side of the rear belly pan, which shows fluid collection points below the rack (the lowest point in the hose) and the RH frame rail crimped connection.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts