Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009-2010 challenger owners: Has anyone ever ran into this issue?

I have a 2010 Challenger, 5.7 Hemi with the 6 speed manual transmission. Hydraulic power steering.
I start my car and at cold engine temps, my power steering works great, i have no problem. 15 minutes later when the engine is warmed up, it gets very tough to steer and whines really bad. However, when i raise my motor speed, the power steering seems to work smoother but still with a whine.
I have bled the system multiple times and put the correct fluid in it.
Now, 99% of the time, the power steering pump is bad.
However in this scenario I’m just afraid of getting an OEM mopar pump that is $400. You can’t find the part at any parts store. That’s why i’m a bit held back on getting a brand new pump and it wont fix he issue.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
2009-2010 challenger owners: Has anyone ever ran into this issue?

I have a 2010 Challenger, 5.7 Hemi with the 6 speed manual transmission. Hydraulic power steering.
I start my car and at cold engine temps, my power steering works great, i have no problem. 15 minutes later when the engine is warmed up, it gets very tough to steer and whines really bad. However, when i raise my motor speed, the power steering seems to work smoother but still with a whine.
I have bled the system multiple times and put the correct fluid in it.
Now, 99% of the time, the power steering pump is bad.
However in this scenario I’m just afraid of getting an OEM mopar pump that is $400. You can’t find the part at any parts store. That’s why i’m a bit held back on getting a brand new pump and it wont fix he issue.
Not sure if this applies to your car. Tried to upload a copy of the PDF but was unsuccessful. Search for TSB_LC_1900510.PDF.

·
Registered
448 Posts
On my 07 Charger RT, I ended up having to replace the power steering pump several times. Originally it was whining while cold, and then would quiet a bit when warm but still there - but the overall function of steering was intact. That being said, at the time this happened - I did a decent amount of research and found that it was common to have to replace the power steering pump on that era of LXs. If you do it, get the OEM pump - its WORTH it. I went through two different piece of shit rebuilt pumps that still whined BADLY, even after having professionally bled the steering rack and system.

Reactions: 5.7 HEMI

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,552 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts