Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooooooooooo... whos had one of those????

fkn car hasent even hit 8000 kms yet, and trannys already been taken apart, heater controls have been replaced, rear diff "rebuilt" and now the PS is gone..

go for a nice cruise since the weather is nice tonight, pull into the gas station, and for the life of me, cant get the wheel to turn.

i rev the car up, and steering feels better, but once rpms drop, [email protected]#t hits the fan again....

i give up with this car...... tomorrows this things getting traded in for a 5.0

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bud its honestly useless for me to have this car. i gave up a 1300+hp drag car for new toys, and yet these toys are crap.......

dealer wont service because of " lowered suspension and aftermarket wheel tire combo "

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
i had a ps pump fail but only after a few thousand miles after my KB was installed.

This will be my last dodge/chrysler unless the new Viper comes out sweet.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive had chryslers all my life, yet this is the one that dissapoints me.

my magnum went 197,000 kms without a single problem EVER!!!!! not even tierods or tension rods.......

my ram... i couldnt break that thing even if i tried.... ( went through a 4 foot ditch at 60+mph. and drive home no problems )

ive phoned head office, as the one dealer down here is saying GTFO because of the lowered suspension as well as my wheels.

ive also had it to the point , ive called my Engineer into play. LEGALLY, if i have an Engineers Statement regards to failure, Chrysler Canada will have to look back into my claim and have to take the Engineers word over their 16 year old mechanic, who doesnt know his dick from his 19mm.

AND TO ADD TO THIS, chrysler wants me to pay for the roadside because this was not a warranty issue....

great call chrysler.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Yes sounds like you got a lemon and should try a Ford next time.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine gets very hard to steer in parking lot situtations, but only once in a while and only when it is hot outside and I have been driving it a while and pull in to park. It is nowhere near consistent enough to take to a dealer becuase I know if I do it wouldnt show up.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine just lost all power to the steering.

also, i have not been doing any high speed runs. i just take it out time to time to wash it or get gas, or worst case grab a bite to eat.

once the dealers done the warranty, ive asked my buddy to give me the old pump back before he sends it out for a core.... i shall do the investigating my self...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I guess the question is, how low is it and how big are your aftermarket wheels? Anyway, ive never had any problems with the PS pump in my SRT8 Charger that had a Procharger on it. It saw hundreds or more 6400 RPM runs.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
When I was a the SRT Track Experience late 2010 they guys there said the only chronic problem they had to deal with on these cars besides tire wear :eek: is P/S pump failures.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The pstering pump one my 2009 6 speed started howling within a few thousand miles.

After the third trip to the dealer they finally had all the parts required to fix.

You are not the only one.

Red

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I'm thinking that it would be a one for one swap for the new HD power steering pump in the 2011s. If so, this might be my next change.

At the same time, it gets the hot power steering lines away from the air intake.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Mine failed but dodge didn't warranty it becasue of my blower, but the dealer was cool and only charged $200 bucks to do the swap instead of the $650 they originally would have charged.

Still, this is a problem that happening to stock cars, I could have made it a big deal but I didn't want ChryCo to know what was under my hood

·
Registered
4 Posts
As of 17k miles on mine I had 3 power steering pumps go out. Trading it off for a 2012 model.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting post here... I just purchased my 2009 SRT8 a few months ago (I am the 2nd owner). One of the first things I do with all of my cars it change/check the main fluids. The power steering fluid in mine was almost bone dry!!!!! I replaced it but remain suspect that the steering may have been compromised. Any suggestions for a great replacement part?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just checked mine today and it is low still on dip stick but at the lowest hatch at cold level. No leaks that I know of only 8,000 miles. I'm thinking it wasn't filled properly at factory. Will be adding some more ATF +4 in the a.m.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
The 2010 and earlier pumps are known for frequent failures, check out some of the road racing threads. One of the folks close to SRT team whispered to me the 2011 pump is revised and fixes the issue. I was lead to believe it is just a bracket that was needed to make the new pump work. I bought one and have since learned it requires a pulley change. My pulley should be done at the machine shop in a few days. Stay tuned for a new thread once it is installed.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
your car being lowered and aftermarket wheels wouldnt have anything to do with the pump going out .. and if thats their claim then they have to prove the the rims and being lowered is what caused it to go out .... thats such bs that the dealer blows paople off like that when they still get paid for the warranty work they perform ... we have a couple dealership here that are mod freindly .. thank god

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
09Plym, I would be interested in said pulley if you get it to work. With my car being lowered, 22inch rims and the KB, I think I need all the help I can get.

Any idea if the pulley is the same diameter just different design? The reason I ask is because I don't want it to compromise the KB.

Thanx bud

1 - 20 of 22 Posts