Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 17 and just got my first Hemi and I have a problem with my power steering. At first it was the hose (which I replaced). But there is something more. Whenever I start up the car, I still hear squeaky sounds as if my hose didn’t work, but it does. There is no fluid being lost, there’s no leaks, and my steering wheel still does not have any power. I feel like I’m using all my strength to turn it. Any help?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Edit: Please say what year and model your car is when asking for technical help

Based on your pic, looks like a 2009 or 2010 R/T 5.7L

So what you're saying is, the power steering is noisy and you have little to no assist?

So if you have no leaks, and your fluid level is ok, that only leaves a few things: A restriction in one of the lines, a weak/worn out power steering pump, or a bad rack+pinion gear. The only way to be sure would be to measure the pump output using a power steering analyzer. But I'm guessing you don't really have access to one.

So assuming you've covered those basics, my guess is a bad power steering pump, based on what you've described. Keep in mind, this is an educated guess, NOT a diagnosis. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
177 Posts
Im 17 and just got my first Hemi and I have a problem with my power steering. At first it was the hose (which I replaced). But there is something more. Whenever I start up the car, I still hear squeaky sounds as if my hose didn’t work, but it does.
Please take it to a shop and do not make any other changes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kind of curious why you changed the hose. If it was for a leak and the pump has ran dry as a result of that leak, I’d be leaning toward the pump assuming you’ve already confirmed the belt is properly tensioned and not glazed over. If you changed the hose thinking that would cure a squeal, it might be a good idea to take it to a shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts