Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered and received front pads for my SRT. Getting ready to change pads I checked out a couple of videos. Common to all the videos is one metal bracket per wheel held in place with two pins. When I opened the box, and in addition to the four pads were four metal brackets, two being slightly smaller than the other. Why do I have four brackets when all the videos I've seen indicate just one per wheel? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Looks like you got a couple extra. I'd just hang on to them. PowerStop are one of the few that actually give you the new pins and clips with their pads. Everyone else makes you use the old ones. The pair with the little tongue protruding from the top should match existing. One of the pins slide through there if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
Just checked my old Z23 box where I have my OEM Brembos stored and in the box is a pair of new clips and my old OEM ones so I must have had two pairs in the box too. I just picked the new clips that matched the OEM and saved the other ones. Install of these pads was a breeze.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Same here. I never asked Powerstop why. I just used the ones that looked just like the ones I took out. When you grease the back of the pads, you only need to cover the areas that contact the round brake "pucks." As you know the pads are HUGE. Just check the contact marks on the old pads to see just where to put the grease.

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
I changed to Z23s at 16,000 miles and never touched the rotors and brakes are still perfect.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No need to touch the rotors. Lots of great info online: google "bed in brakes." Here's an example: CLICKY
Some guys are meticulous about this, taking steel wool and scrubbing the film deposited by the old brake pads off each rotor. Some scrub 'em down with brake-kleen. I don't bother with most of that stuff. But I do follow the instructions for bedding them in (supplied with the pads). My new pads are working perfectly.

You might want to paint the hubs of the rotors while you've got everything apart. They do rust over time.

Turning the rotors. You might actually wear out your rotors before they ever need turning. However, when the time does come for this, if it ever comes, you might be hard pressed to find a shop that will do them. Your two piece slotted rotors don't play well with the typical brake machine. I was told by more than one shop that they won't do two piece rotors. Dodge will cut them for you, and their machine does them right on the car. However, you might be shocked at what they charge, and they might have rules about letting you put aftermarket brakes on the car. You'd have to call your dealer to find out. The guy at my local O'Reily's said he'd do mine if I ever needed them done, but that's no guarantee that they'll come out all right. That's a lot of money if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installed my Power Stop pads yesterday. Pretty straight forward. Not having done this before I did check out a couple of You Tube videos. Curious to me about the videos is reference to metric socket sizes for both lugs and the bolt that runs through the caliper. I used 7/8 and 1/2 sockets, respectively. Are some using metric?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Installed my Power Stop pads yesterday. Pretty straight forward. Not having done this before I did check out a couple of You Tube videos. Curious to me about the videos is reference to metric socket sizes for both lugs and the bolt that runs through the caliper. I used 7/8 and 1/2 sockets, respectively. Are some using metric?
Diego,

You said, "not having done this before." Did you mean that this is your first brake job?

They are indeed metric. As you noticed, your 1/2 socket fit pretty tight. That's because the 13mm bolt is actually .511, or slightly larger than 1/2 inch. And your 7/8 socket fit a bit loose on the lug nuts. The 7/8 socket, which is actually .840, was a bit loose, as the 21mm lug nut is actually about .827

Yup, sometimes our SAE tools will fit metric items. Case in point is the 3/4 socket. It is EXACTLY the same as a 19mm.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Diego,

You said, "not having done this before." Did you mean that this is your first brake job?

They are indeed metric. As you noticed, your 1/2 socket fit pretty tight. That's because the 13mm bolt is actually .511, or slightly larger than 1/2 inch. And your 7/8 socket fit a bit loose on the lug nuts. The 7/8 socket, which is actually .840, was a bit loose, as the 21mm lug nut is actually about .827

Yup, sometimes our SAE tools will fit metric items. Case in point is the 3/4 socket. It is EXACTLY the same as a 19mm.
First time changing pads on a non 1960's car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,782 Posts
Haven't checked every nut and bolt but yeah, seems like it! :D

When you are through checking them all, get back to us >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Washed my car for the first time since the Power Stop install. What a difference! Some mods just work out so well.
Indeed it pays to do your research on this forum. No more nasty surprises after ya spend all yer hard earned money. Glad they are working out for ya. Just checked my front wheels as well. What a difference those Z23's make...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts