Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I bought my 2012 challenger used back in February from a pretty reputable used car place (aka not some corner lot) and its been treating me pretty well. I had a steering pump changed a month ago but it was under warranty so thats fine. Now I'm having an issue with the power windows. If the driver's window is up all the way, it will drop and then raise 1/4inch by itself, whether the car is on or off (like it does when we open the door). It does this repeatedly every 10 seconds or so. This is getting to be a huge problem because I brought it into the dealer and they changed the window motor under warranty. However, the window motor went bad as an effect of it working every 10 seconds throughout the night. I'm also afraid it will kill my battery if it keeps doing that.
My temporary solution is to keep the window down all the way, because that's the only way it doesn't move up and down.
The dealer (Bettenhausen Dodge) told me that the door looks scratched up on the inside and looks like someone tried breaking into it or its been in a minor accident. I don't believe that because if there was a problem with the scissor lift, it wouldnt go up and down like it does now. Also, it worked perfectly fine from feb until late june. It has to be some recalibration/sensor or something. The dealer is telling me they cant do anything, and I should take it to a body shop. The body shop told me it needs to be on a dodge scanner and its not something wrong with the car.
Oh, and Bettenhausen told me the only solution is to get a whole new door. They're out of their minds and if it was up to them, They'd have me in a whole new car.
Does anyone have a similar experience/ know what's happening? So far I'm having to tape a garbage bag to the window when it rains, and water still gets in there. I'm starting to lose my mind :bash:

·
Super Moderator
17,338 Posts
its the Smart Glass window switch (integrated into the door latch mech.)

this was an issue that turned up on some '11/'12 cars.

Reactions: drluck

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its the Smart Glass window switch (integrated into the door latch mech.)

this was an issue that turned up on some '11/'12 cars.
How can it be fixed? because the 19-25 year old "mechanic" at the dealer needs everything spoon fed to him.
just switch the switch out?
Thanks Hal

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Reactions: drluck

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f89/dodge-challenger-tsbs-2008-2014-models-5609/

10/06/11 … 2011 … #23-039-11 …. Door Smart Glass Self Cycling And/Or Battery Drain

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Challenger/TSB/ChallengerTalk_dot_com/TSB_LC_2303911.pdf

Then take the documentation and TSB number to a dealer. Your car may just be covered.
Thanks guys.
just got back from the dealer. The conversation went like this
-"Heyyy Drluck, I was just about to call you!"
"Oh Really, did you guys finally figure out what was wrong?"
-"Yeah, we had another customer with a similar problem."
"Lemme guess, the smart glass switch? Because I have a letter from chrysler right here..."
-"yeah, its the latch. we've ordered the parts and we'll call you when they come in"
"alright thanks"
I wanted to chew them out. these are the same guys that BS'ed me and tried telling me the door is scratched up on the inside, and that I should buy a new door, which is not covered under the warranty. If i didnt do the research and they didnt find it, it would have been a $2000 fix if it was up to them (which I would have never done- theres no way its not the door).
The only reason I didn't chew them out is because the service person, Jake, has been nice to me and its not his fault anyways. Its the peanut brains mechanic who gave up and decided to tell me I needed a new door. If you cant figure it out, just say so. dont tell me I need a $2000 fix.

Thanks again everyone for pointing that out to me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hi, I bought my 2012 challenger used back in February from a pretty reputable used car place (aka not some corner lot) and its been treating me pretty well. I had a steering pump changed a month ago but it was under warranty so thats fine. Now I'm having an issue with the power windows. If the driver's window is up all the way, it will drop and then raise 1/4inch by itself, whether the car is on or off (like it does when we open the door). It does this repeatedly every 10 seconds or so. This is getting to be a huge problem because I brought it into the dealer and they changed the window motor under warranty. However, the window motor went bad as an effect of it working every 10 seconds throughout the night. I'm also afraid it will kill my battery if it keeps doing that.
My temporary solution is to keep the window down all the way, because that's the only way it doesn't move up and down.
The dealer (Bettenhausen Dodge) told me that the door looks scratched up on the inside and looks like someone tried breaking into it or its been in a minor accident. I don't believe that because if there was a problem with the scissor lift, it wouldnt go up and down like it does now. Also, it worked perfectly fine from feb until late june. It has to be some recalibration/sensor or something. The dealer is telling me they cant do anything, and I should take it to a body shop. The body shop told me it needs to be on a dodge scanner and its not something wrong with the car.
Oh, and Bettenhausen told me the only solution is to get a whole new door. They're out of their minds and if it was up to them, They'd have me in a whole new car.
Does anyone have a similar experience/ know what's happening? So far I'm having to tape a garbage bag to the window when it rains, and water still gets in there. I'm starting to lose my mind :bash:
The biggest problem I see here is that you are going to Bettenhausen Dodge, I live 1 mile from Bettenhausen and have bought 1 R/T and 2 SRT8's from Bosak in Merrillville In. All have been 6 speeds, Bettenhausen actually told me back in 11 when I bought my first one that they didn't make them in 6 speeds because all he had was autos and didn't have the car I wanted. Bosaks has an excellent service dept also, call Tony the service manager and ask him to help you, tell him the chromer sent you. Order banks opened today for the 15 Challenger so I will be there tomorrow to order my B5 blue 392 R/T.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The biggest problem I see here is that you are going to Bettenhausen Dodge, I live 1 mile from Bettenhausen and have bought 1 R/T and 2 SRT8's from Bosak in Merrillville In. All have been 6 speeds, Bettenhausen actually told me back in 11 when I bought my first one that they didn't make them in 6 speeds because all he had was autos and didn't have the car I wanted. Bosaks has an excellent service dept also, call Tony the service manager and ask him to help you, tell him the chromer sent you. Order banks opened today for the 15 Challenger so I will be there tomorrow to order my B5 blue 392 R/T.
I'm about 4 miles west from bettenhausen. Im kind of in between bettenhausen and Tyson dodge, and I go to bettenhausen because they're supposed to have a good rating. After they fix this mess up, I'm heading to tyson. I know the mechanic there (he used to work at bettenhausen, they accidentally totaled his mustang while backing up with a 4x4 in the snow, and now he works at Tyson, with a new Ram truck courtesy of the guy who can't drive at Bettenhausen)
He's a friend of a friend and I know he'll give it to me straight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts