Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 challenger rt with the 7 speaker Boston Acoustics package. I want to add a aftermarket powered subwoofer. Can I splice into the rear speakers even though they are on factory amplifier or do I have to splice behind the head unit with my loc ? Does anyone know the colors of speaker wires at head unit ? Thanks !

·
Registered
690 Posts
Mines a 2015 with alpine I spliced into the rear. I'm sure you could do the same.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,619 Posts
2012 challenger rt with the 7 speaker Boston Acoustics package. I want to add a aftermarket powered subwoofer. Can I splice into the rear speakers even though they are on factory amplifier or do I have to splice behind the head unit with my loc ? Does anyone know the colors of speaker wires at head unit ? Thanks !
Yes, you can tap the rear speaker(s) for the LOC’s sound signals. Although, check the specs of whatever powered sub you plan on buying. Many will have a built-in LOC of sorts allowing the speaker wire from tapped source to be directly input into sub unit’s chassis. Kinda like the amps that have high level inputs (with proprietary adapter plug).

There are some that would say using a separate LOC to feed the low level inputs on the powered sub will sound better than using the high level inputs on the powered sub to eliminate the need for the LOC. I will say this could be true, but it’s likely highly dependent upon the quality of the powered sub.

I ran a powered sub in each of my previous Challengers, one was fed by its onboard high level inputs, and the other was fed by a separate 2 channel LOC. I could discern no real advantage the LOC setup had in sound quality over the other method, but my equipment was far from the high end stuff, so there likely wasn’t a noticeable difference to be had.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts