Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s only about a $80 difference between them. I don’t do any crazy driving or racing, but I would like a little better braking performance over stock. Is the Z23 setup good enough to be better than stock or should I go Z26?

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
The Z37 Top Cop pads stop better, the other two more like stock.

And don't understand any difference in price between them, they both have the same pad material.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
The Z37 Top Cop pads stop better, the other two more like stock.

And don't understand any difference in price between them, they both have the same pad material.

The main difference is the z23 uses rubberized shims while z26 uses stainless for higher temp scenarios. Honestly the best option for better braking on a street car R/T is to upgrade to the 4 piston brembos. More pistons and larger rotors means more stopping power.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main difference is the z23 uses rubberized shims while z26 uses stainless for higher temp scenarios. Honestly the best option for better braking on a street car R/T is to upgrade to the 4 piston brembos. More pistons and larger rotors means more stopping power.
Sure but aren’t those thousands of dollars? I’m not looking to spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
Sure but aren’t those thousands of dollars? I’m not looking to spend that kind of money.
I believe most guys spend $1000-1500 using used calipers off an SRT. There's no cheap way to better braking

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
With an R/T you would need the SRT spindles and knuckles to do the Brembo conversion so a lot more money unless you can find a smoking deal on used parts.

You said you wanted a little better braking and the Z37 pads will do that. They are closer to the BR6 pads used with Super Track Pack, you have the standard R/T BR5 brakes.

Next up would be the BR9 conversion, these would be the 14.5" Charger Pursuit brakes and these work about the same as Brembos for far less.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Had them on 4 different Challengers. Used both. The Z26’s on my M6 Cat and on my M6 Scatpack. I ran the Z23’s on my SRT8 6m and currently on my A8 Redeye. I can’t tell the difference. But I would check around. I think they were only a few dollars difference. $20. at the most for both sets?

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
But R/T brakes are much smaller so can't afford to lose braking force. I've got the Z23's too and with 6-pistons they're OK with those big brakes.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
659 Posts
Don't forget the cost of wheels if upgrading to Brembo's as the OEM R/T wheels won't fit. I figured about $2800 for a full swap when I had to include buying wheels.

The BR9 swap is a decent low cost option to upgrade to 4 piston Brembo level braking, but finding the calipers is getting really difficult. Most parts houses seem to show the parts until you pay for them and then they magically become back ordered with no ETA. I bought used calipers front and back, and have the dust shields and hoses, just sitting on them until I can drum up the cash for rotors/pads.

As I understand it, the BR6 brakes really are just BR5 brakes with a more aggressive pad. So if you want better braking without the hassle of a full swap, I would look at figuring out were to buy BR6 pads and go from there.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,521 Posts
I installed the Z23 pad and rotor kit about a year (20k miles) before I traded for a Scat Pack. The Z23 was a noticeable improvement over stock.

Reactions: RobsRTplus

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
I installed the Z23 pad and rotor kit about a year (20k miles) before I traded for a Scat Pack. The Z23 was a noticeable improvement over stock.
Agreed. Unless you're pushing the car to it's limits on a track the z23 kit is fine. If you need more than what they offer than the best option is to just get bigger brakes. Bigger brakes means less brake fade, and better braking force.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s the info I was looking for, thanks. Just wanted to know if it’s improvement over stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts