Dodge Challenger Forum banner

PPF and bugs... [front!]

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Beemerchef 
#1 ·
Within a couple days of my 2019 Scat Pack Shaker I took it in for a PPF wrap. Tired of dealing with swirls, rock chips, you name it. Getting too old to paint correct constantly as OCD as I am.

"Solar Guard 'Pro Shield' Hydro+", self healing, infused layers unlike the sandwiched layers the other products on the market. 10 years warranty [in writing!]

Bug season is upon us. My instructions to wash the car were simple enough.

Rinse, foam gun, gently massage the car properly, rinse, blow dry with a 180mph blower, dry the little remaining water, Spray and wipe [one towel deal] some "Lucas Spray Wax" [even smells great!

Well, I live a mile away from the start of many Mountain road loops, a 100 miles is close to a pound of bugs... and where do they end their lives for their next journey? Front bumper.
I am "supposed to" remove those bugs ASAP but of course I don't while slowly realizing that those bug adhere much more to the PPF than they would to unprotected clear coat. They are like "glued" and was also told that the bird sized ones will make an imprint of their generous body.

I did not want to start getting into the variety of chemicals available and labeled "Bug and Tar remover". I tried hot water with my soap and it was a no go until I read somewhere on a "PPF Forum" about using a lubricant with "blue clay". Something I am familiar with which is the first step of a paint correction. I have "yellow clay" and so I ordered the "blue clay" which is gentler. Kind of like different grits of a sandpaper.

Using Griot's "Speed Shine" as a lubricant [you can also use plain soapy water], concentrating on small areas of the front bumper... the bugs are gone and the PPF has not lost its characteristics.

Big relief. I am going to try to get to those bugs more often before they turn into mummies, but, I thought I would share this on my end "discovery"....

Always "research and more research"!

See less See more
#2 ·
Years ago an old detailer told me that he used dryer sheets and warm water for Love Bug removal. Darn, if it didn't work.

Reactions: Beemerchef
#3 ·
That's right! I forgot about that...

I would have to check the "chemical" aspect of those sheets applied to the PPF. It is just that "pesky" front bumper!... and the grill as you know on which I use a soft brush. I call it "brushing its teeth"... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks

Reactions: Wizard of Iz
#5 ·
The Meguiers Blue seems to coat well and make insect removal easy. I’m putting a home made bug screen on the front before the Bondurant trip.
Make sure that the bug screen does not start swirling the clear coat.

My issue is the PPF which is a double edge sword. Love the car being protected and at the same time if I don't remove the bugs right away it is much harder. I cannot use any chemicals.

Luckily this "Blue Clay" works really well with soapy water as a lubricant. [more soap than for a normal car wash]

Thanks...

Reactions: Dennis H
#6 ·
Reactions: Beemerchef
#7 ·
Thank You "A Guy"... You seem to be more up to date on current "anything" available! This is not the first time. So it is very much appreciated.

The PPF installers, really nice people and very well managed, the head installer with 25 years experience, unfortunately, besides soap/water/Lucas Spray wax have never had any knowledge regarding taking care of it. Once I am situated with "Detailed Image" I am actually going to share the care with them. It would be to their advantage for sure even with the 10 year warranty they procure.
I like "Detailed Image". I like their articles which is rare. Tons of information. Also, anyone that carries "Menzerna", "Gyeon", "3D"... has to be good! They are top products. I used "Menzerna" [also used by Mercedes to finish their cars]. Tell you the truth, I "almost" miss the days when my car did not have PPF and I would spend hours buffing, correcting and more... [well, maybe not!!! too hot out there these days].

The Car Pro "Immolube" sounds like the perfect product to use with the blue clay. The Gyeon "Maintain" also. The PPF is only 5 months old [so is the car!] and too early for the "Gyeon PPF Renew". I must say that the hydrophobic properties of this Solar Guard PPF are incredible. I can drive through a storm and it will actually wash the car without a single water stain left behind and glossy as ever matching the properties of the original paint.

Of course here, just a personal opinion, [and rambling!] but I so much cringe towards car owners when they spend so much money for a new exhaust, or bling, or a new set of $2000 wheels when the stock wheels are just fine and never address protecting the paint while ending up in such a very short time with swirls, rock chips and dents. Or even worse thinking that "ceramic coating" is protection when it is not and strictly a cosmetic function. Function which actually down the road needs to be removed to be re-applied. While on the subject of exhausts, and I need to find this 30 minute video again from the Head Dodge Engineer/Designer of exhausts, plainly coming to the conclusion that any exhaust modification is going to drop the performance of the car. It is a fact he demonstrated. I personally did not know there was so much calculation to the 100th of an inch taking in consideration to 100th of a second regarding the flow and back flow of exhaust air. That was video was truly an eye opener.

Anyhow... Thank You again... Hoping I can return the favor somehow. Need cooking tips?.... ah!ah!ah!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.