Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 R/T M6. Obviously a VVT engine with Eagle heads. There is a Pre-Eagle 5.7 for sale locally. I have been looking for a second engine to forge and then just do an engine swap so I don't have my car down for an extended period. What are the pros and cons, if any, of picking up a Pre-Eagle 5.7, forging and stroking it and swapping it? Are there any differences in the block? I have PWR(Thitek) heads and a 392 cam on/in my current engine and will most likely re-use them if able. Can I just use the bare Pre-Eagle block and make my own long block from the VVT currently in my car at the time of swap?

Actually at this point I feel that I know so little as to know what all it is I need to be asking. So in general anyone know of any pitfalls I may come across if I buy a pre-eagle to forge and stroke and ultimately replace my VVT Eagle engine?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have been looking into strokers for a very long time so I'll share some knowledge and tell you what I still don't know. I believe the blocks are essentially the same, in terms of bore and stroke, they have different features though. The main difference between the pre and eagle blocks is the cam. The pre doesn't have vvt while the eagle does. So your cam would not work in a pre vvt motor. The heads I believe should work or can be modified to work. There are lot of other things to consider too. Your timing chain and many accessories from your motor would not work on a pre vvt motor. Pushrods I believe changed between the two as well as many other things that would have to be looked into (possibly whole wiring harness). You definitely would need a new pcm, one that doesn't contain any of the vvt content. Obviously the motor itself would need tuning and you couldn't use your pcm for that.

Your best bet is to find an eagle block and do as you were saying and build it and swap, if you wanted to build it yourself. If you went the other direction it is possible but is going to be a long process and lots more money. Doing an eagle block, all your current motor's accessories would carry over so no real extra purchases. On any serious stroker though, that 392 cam will not get you the results you are looking for, you need to go bigger. Even though cams are limited for vvt, the vvt feature is very good. It really helps with down low power. I don't know if you swapped lifters when you did the cam but you would need to do that too when doing a stroker (get rid of mds). There are several companies that build short blocks (in vvt and non) for rather reasonable prices if you just wanted to take it to a shop and have them swap everything over and tune it. They can also get you set up with the right off-the-shelf cam or do a custom one.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Disregard the lifters, forgot it was a manual.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts