Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been able to get the rear tires spinning unless I power brake the car. Today, with the cooler temperatures which means less grip, I am able to smoke 'em just by stomping it. So, now I have a "details" question. I don't have a Predator. . . yet.

Stock, whether in Drive or Autostick, the car automatically up-shifts when it gets near redline. That is a great feature, unless you want to wind it out and hold first gear for awhile. I also know that the computer actually anticipates when you will hit redline and makes the shift early enough so you don't even reach the rev limiter.

I know that you can turn off the automatic up-shift with the Predator. What I would like to know is: If you turn that off. Does the computer still anticipate when you will hit the rev limiter or does the rev limiter not kick in until the engine reaches that rpm?

Why I'm asking is: When the engine speed is rising very quickly, like when the tires break free, that spinning mass of weight will have a lot of momentum. If the computer no longer anticipates when it will hit the rev limiter, and if the rev limiter doesn't kick in until the engine actually reaches that set rpm, that momentum will actually carry the engine past the rev limiter set point, over-reving the engine.

So, what I would like to know is: With the Predator, and the auto up-shift turned off, will the computer anticipate when the engine will reach the rev limiter and back it down before it reaches that set point, or will the rev limiter not kick in until the rpm's reach the rev limiter's set point (which could allow the engine to over rev)?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Uhh... I don't have the auto but I'm pretty sure you can't turn off the auto up-shift even with the predator. You can make it shift firmer but you can't turn off auto up-shift. If I am wrong someone will surely tell me but I have seen on several threads it isn't possible to turn it off.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I've got a predator, and an auto, and I do not see any option to disable the up-shift. Firmer, yes... back to stock.. yes, those are the only two options that Im aware of.

Mike

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
In the transmission options menu of the predator, you will see option1, and option2 as well as firmer. One of the two options, either 1 or 2 will disable auto up shift, but each car is different and you will have to set it on one of them and try it out. If lets say option1 is the first you try and that one doesn't do anything to stop auto up shift. try the option2. One of them will stop auto up shift. At least that is my understanding. I like my car to shift on its own, so I haven't disabled the auto up shift.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i hope i can disable the auto up shift. i hate it when i down shift to first and punch it and when i manually shift the computer shifts at the same time and then i end up in third. and then i just look stupid with the car falling on its face. i don't have a predator yet either but i thought you could disable it and from the advertisements it says auto up shift can be disabled. so i really don't know yet either but i hope it can.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is it even making any power past that point? I think if you just leave it in first it'll rev out plenty before it auto shifts. I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Is it even making any power past that point? I think if you just leave it in first it'll rev out plenty before it auto shifts. I may be wrong.
according to chryslers own data 5700 rpm is peak h.p. /torque. that is without custom tunes and aftermarket.

·
Registered
44 Posts
At what RPM will it (auto) shift when left in first? I don't drive mine like that enough to know.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i hope i can disable the auto up shift. i hate it when i down shift to first and punch it and when i manually shift the computer shifts at the same time and then i end up in third. and then i just look stupid with the car falling on its face. i don't have a predator yet either but i thought you could disable it and from the advertisements it says auto up shift can be disabled. so i really don't know yet either but i hope it can.
In my Charger SRT8 (same predator) I was able to disable the auto upshift and when you hit redline the rev limiter will kick in.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
challengers auto up-shift cannot be disabled the computer was changed. only the older chargers 300.... can disable it. you also cannot change the rev limiter. the options are there but have no affect on the car at all due to the computer being changed when the challenger came out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
challengers auto up-shift cannot be disabled the computer was changed. only the older chargers 300.... can disable it. you also cannot change the rev limiter. the options are there but have no affect on the car at all due to the computer being changed when the challenger came out.
that's too bad. I could launch the my Auto Charger hard, lots of wheel spin when wanted. With what you said - Now I'm even happier that I bought the 6 speed.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Auto upshift disable

Yeah you can do it on the SRT but not the R/T but if it hits the rev limiter it will start to cut off fuel

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Challenger RT
46 Posts
Just wondering if there has been any update to this? I have an 2010 R/T and I'm getting tired of the auto upshift in manual mode. Does the predator 2 or intune fix this issue? I'm sick of 2 second burnouts then it upshifts into 2nd and nothing. Any help is appreciated!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts