Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of a gain does the Predator or Diablo software/recalibration offer the 6.1 vs 5.7? I've only mainly read of people using it on the RT's and it helping a good bit. Read some custom tuning by KRC and RDP that may even be better.... Anything for the 6.1? I haven't heard of anything for the 392 yet either, anyone know anything different?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The 6.1s pick up great power, +20 rwhp or so.

It also wakes the car up to be the performance car you would have expected in the first place...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I gained three tenths in the 1/8 mile with it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay, if I purchase a 6.1 car I"m going to do it now! still on the fence on which car though....

I called HPP ( I think its them) and spoke with them about their email tunes that can get even more out of the Diablo/6.1, I think he said closer to 40hp as long as you already did the CAI and exhaust. I thought the Challengers had good exhaust though already?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Not wanting to start a war, but consider the source and use some common sense. The r/t is factory tuned to run on 87 octane,the srt is factory tuned to run on 91 octane, as in some parts of the country 91 is the highest you can buy.I've read hundreds of dynos on four different sites. The r/t with a 93 cai tune will pick up on average 30 rwhp, custom tune might get you 10 more hp.The srt on average dyno on average 380 hp with a 93cai tune.Most believe the six speed loses less through the driveline than the A-5 autostick.I havent seen enough examples to make a definitive judgement.I believe their is little difference between the two.I base this on extensive testing done by Bob Cosby a world record holder driving his 99 and 01 Mustang Cobra's.The tremec t-45 is the standard transmission on the Cobra's. Bob destroyed about a half dozen of them in his quest for more speed.He then tried a tremec 6-speed known for their strength and durability.Found they indeed stayed together, but internal losses were 30 or more hp than the tremec T-45, and he couldn't come close to the times he had previously run with the t-45. I at first thought that the six speeds suffered mostly from poor drivers and that's true in some cases, but even the above average driver has to overcome the loss of 60 hp in the drive train, whereas the autostick seems to only lose 30 hp. Admittedly the r/t is underated. The 5.7 rt in the Ram 1500 is rated at 390 hp, my Challenger r/t with the identical engine is rated at 370 hp. If Dodge had been more truthful there is no doubt they would have sold far fewer of the high dollar Srt Challengers. Back to the original question, will a tuned Srt Challenger pickup 40 hp, I don't think so.But if I sold Predators I might fudge the numbers a bit.Will a custom tuned r/t pickup 40 hp. You betcha! Too many examples of canned tuned Challengers making 30 hp more.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Here were my gains:

Stock: 325 RWHP
Canned 93oct w CAI tune: 332 RWHP
Custom CMR tune, based on 93 CAI tune: 349 RWHP

Now the "stock" figure above isn't truely stock, as I already had the Corsa Xtreme exhaust and the Mopar CAI. So a 24hp gain with the custom tune, considering the exhaust and CAI it was indeed in the neighborhood a 40hp gain. The SRT has better stock exhaust than the R/T, but both benefit from aftermarket exhaust.

More than just HP, the other stuff it changes like gear ratios make a huge difference, the car feels sooo much more alive than it ever did, even at low speeds you can feel the added aggression! I do fear it will be harder on the brakes lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't Have any numbers to back it up but the CAI 93 tune on my 2010 SRT8 Challenger made it "feel" more torqey on the low end. I am not sorry I sept the dough for the predator programer but shop around prices seem to vary widely!
YLRSRT

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
I don't have any before dyno numbers, but the diablo definitely woke up my R/T. I gained about 5 tenths using the 91oct tune. Ram a 12.56 with only the canned tune, mbrp catback, and M&H drag radials

1 - 10 of 10 Posts