Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I install a tune with the Predator and go back to the original tune for warranty service or California Smog Check will the fact that the ECU was modified be traceable?

IOW, is there a tattletale built into the factory ECU to detect tampering?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Some info on this topic in the DS/Predator threads. From everything I've read, along with what's on the DS website, answer is "no." When you put the stock tune back on, it essentially reimages your car's computer back to stock - pretty much the same as reimaging the hard drive on your home PC. Nothing to really see other than the current image.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had problems with it.

I used the diablosport tuner and shortly after had weird engine codes popping up. I flashed the ECU back to factorty tune and took her to the dealership. I'm not saying it was the tuner, but it is a little more than a possibility. The dealership said that my ECU was fried and replaced it under warranty. So if the fact that it was fried kept them from seeing it or if there is a "tattletale" I don't know, but I didn't get caught, luckily.

·
Registered
688 Posts
From what I understand, something about the 2010's and up have something like you are saying.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I belive they can tell if it's been flashed but not by who or what was done...
^^^exactly what he said^^^

the ECU will record and save the last flash. the dealers are required to record and save any flashes they do too. now if you bring your car in for some major warranty claim, they may look into the flash history of your car. if there are any unauthorized flashes, they can void your warranty.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

the ECU will record and save the last flash. the dealers are required to record and save any flashes they do too. now if you bring your car in for some major warranty claim, they may look into the flash history of your car. if there are any unauthorized flashes, they can void your warranty.
Just because the dealer is supposed to record PCM updates that they perform, doesn't mean they always will. So an undocumented flash doesn't always mean it was done by a Diablo predator or automatically cause a warranty denial.

·
Registered
363 Posts

This is EXACTLY why I'm waiting to do any ECU or other major mods until AFTER the warranty expires...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just because the dealer is supposed to record PCM updates that they perform, doesn't mean they always will. So an undocumented flash doesn't always mean it was done by a Diablo predator or automatically cause a warranty denial.

that is true but if it came down to something expensive to repair under warantee and the shop was trying to skimp on it, it could be brought up.

if it does show up all they likely will know was that the ecu was flashed. they wouldn't know what for or why.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts