Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having difficulty with my Predator and I'm looking for opinions, help, and others that may have experienced this issue. I have a 2010 R/T auto. The car is bone stock, no other mods but the Predator. I'm in CA, so the best fuel I have available to me is 91 octane. I've tried out the 91 Performance canned tune with a tankful of 91 octane, and I'm getting audible knock at part throttle, below 2000 RPM and below 20% throttle, and I'm seeing KR of up to 15 degrees when I hear it ping.

I'm seeing no KR at all on the stock tune. On the stock tune, the car is fine, runs great.

After the first tankful of fuel I tried, I ran it out and filled up at different station, different brand, but I'm experiencing the same issue on the 91 canned tune.

·
Registered
72 Posts
try a catch can, maybe oil mist killing your octane. add a 180 t stat easy and cheap.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response high line. I'm planning on trying a catch can. But, I'm not confident that it will help for a part throttle issue. Is the PCV valve even open at part throttle at that low of RPM?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Get a catch can,try pulling timing 1 degree at a time &logging for knock, of course that is only for knock at Wide Open Throttle. If that doesn't work you may need a custom tune. There is a lot of info on the Diablo forum you can also email Mike or Johan with questions. Mine does the same thing with 92 up here in WA. Also keep trying different gas mine seems to like Chevron better.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have been over to the DS forum, and I have had an email conversation with Mike, but unfortunately no one has been able to provide much help. I was wary of this idea of a "canned tune". I'm not new to modding cars and this idea of a one-size-fits-all tune makes me nervous, so I find it as no surprise that I would run into problems with it. I suspect the canned tunes are a bit aggressive with the timing and just not going to work on everyones' motors. I also wonder how many less than savvy people are running these tunes and actually have the same problem, but don't know what ping sounds like and haven't bothered to do any datalogging.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Car

I would try the 89 tune even with the 91 gas in it and see what it does. 91 is the best I can get here in Oklahoma too. when ya can get the cai and the t-stat then try the 91 cai tune with the fans set lower and see how it works for ya. my car really likes have the fans turned down and running cooler.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But, there is no 89 tune. I can only remove timing at WOT in my Predator; however, the issue here is tip in detonation, i.e. part throttle.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you must have lousy gas. try a different gas station. the one youre using is putting 87 in their 91 tanks
I've already tried 2 different stations and brands. I'm not going to risk running this tune on my car again, that would be foolish.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Foolish indeed! Not all gas is going to be bad. That's a cop out I've seen way too often with DiabloSport issues. Cop out!!!!

HemiSam

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Crap. If you believe that, buy a can of Torco and toss enough in there to get you to 93 octane. The math isn't too hard on how much you'll need. You'll have to test it again, though.

HemiSam

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
well what else could it be? we all have the same engine, the same comptression ration, the same tune. What would make HIS car more susceptible to pinging? it has to be the gas. unless he somehow gow high compression pistons in his car... and i doubt that happened.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Or the canned tune not being up to snuff....hello! No problems until he puts the canned tune in and they haven't offered reflashing the Pred.

HemiSam

·
Banned
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I sent a copy of the canned tune to Mike after the last time I installed it in my car (last written tune), he said it looked fine. So, I don't think I'm going to get any sort of reflash of my Predator from DS.

9r28 was released yesterday, and along with that the latest CalID for the Challenger from Dodge. I originally was on that CalID, I had to downgrade my CalID to run the Predator. I'm definitely going to use my Predator to get me back to the latest CalID. I am curious how the canned tune does after that, but I am just not sure I want to go there at this point. I'll probably hang on to the Predator in case I decide to get a custom tune done in the future. There are a number of CMR tuners in my area.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts