Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...in MY opinion.

Before you Predator loyalists flame me, YOUR results may vary. As of this moment, my 2010 SE is still completely stock including air silencer. (Can't seem to get a break in the weather or find time on weekends to remove that puppy.)

I've tried the Predator 91 Tune, with the "Firmer" transmission setting using 93 octane gas for a couple of weeks now. The car actually felt heavier, as if it lost it's pep. There MAY have been some WOT improvement, but very minimal from my perspective. Plus, the trans seems to whine more and the shift firmness is barely noticeable. Not at all what I was expecting. :disgust:

Perhaps, once I get the drop in K&N filter, remove the air silencer, and install my Flomaster Cat-Back system (which is sitting in the trunk - yet another project that the weather seems to be slowing me down on) I'll reload the Predator Tune and try again. Though I may just modify the stock tune to advance the timing a bit. It also sucks that I had to "downgrade" my car's Calid from 68054123D to 68054123C to take advantage of the Predator.

I could be wrong, but I assume the PCM adapts to the individual driver's driving habits and makes adjustments to maximize performance. If that's the case, then the whole Predator issue may be moot. I dunno. With cdhd2001's fried PCM ordeal, I guess I just don't trust it anymore.

Now, I've done mods to cars in the past. Nothing major, but the usual things...
On my '94 T-Bird 4.6L V8, I made the following mods: replaced the intake with a custom intake tube (talk about restrictive, check out the stock intake on that bird); drop-in K&N; custom chip; 80mm MAF Sensor; and modified the transmission valve body, including replacing a pair of broken springs and a couple of valve body actuators. I had REAL inprovements in both speed and driveability. I could chirp the tires on the 1-2 AND 2-3 shifts. (Unfortunately, the best I could do with all those improvements was 16.01 1/4, which was up from 16.54. Oh well, different era.)

Unfortunately, for me the Predator has turned out to be just an expensive code reader. Snake Oil. :mad:

Again, YOUR results may vary.

It's too bad the Predator seems to be the only game in town, especially for SE owners. Perhaps some real competition would force Diablosport to step it up.

Ok, that's my rant for the day. :headbang: Let the flames begin.

JoeyV

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Well, for 1 I do disagree entirely. Second you should probably be using the 93 tune if you have 93 gas, or get 91 gas and use the 91 tune. Thats why they're named that way.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey, I want to remove my air silencer, but all I can find is for the charger, is it basically the same thing? or is different?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Joey,

For my car the Predator 93 tune did make noticeable difference in part and full throttle driving. Trans was definitely firmer.

My situation is currently undermined. Could have been a couple of things. Crap happens. It's just not always fun.:(

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Hey, I want to remove my air silencer, but all I can find is for the charger, is it basically the same thing? or is different?
not sure on charger but on 3.5L, at least 09 SE's, it's connected under the stock air box. have to go through the fender well to get to it.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Sorry to hear you are not happy with the predator. Hope you like your other mods, however the predator is going to give you much more of a performance gain than either of the other two.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
using my predator with the 93 tune and a tank fo 93 gas I was able to get mine into the 15's at the track, in 89 tune it was a mid 16 sec car.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
no, cant afford the $100 bucks to run it, money getting tight just for the trip. Gas,hotel, food, other expenses.

but I will be taking plenty of pics and videos of you fools running and barking back and forth with each other...hehehe

but the above post was referring to my SE that I traded off.

btw Rick, you going to Mopar Nationals in Shreveport at the end of the month?

·
Registered
145 Posts
not sure on charger but on 3.5L, at least 09 SE's, it's connected under the stock air box. have to go through the fender well to get to it.
THanks, yeah, when I replaced the stock intake with a k/n cai, I was perplexed at the random black tube at the bottom. Thanks for the info, so i gotta just remove the wheel, then the fender, and there's a bolt holding it in place?

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
1 measly bolt is all there is, you cant miss it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
No flames here - but, in the "expectation" arena...some things to consider. It won't turn an SE into a 13 second quarter mile car anymore than it will make a 6.1 into an 11 second car. The Predator is just going to optimize what you've already got - most agree there is very noticeable performance improvement (plenty of dyno charts show this for the 5.7s and 6.1s). The power to weight ratio of these cars is another factor that impacts peformance. Challengers weigh over 4,000 lbs - that's a lot of car for an engine that puts less than 300 HP and torque to the rear wheels (talking SE) to push around - even with mods. BTW, DiabloSport recently released an update that supports the AD CalID, so no need to downgrade any more.

On the "adaptive" feature of the computer, it adjusts to the way the car is driven over time and doesn't necessarily do anything to maximize performance - the reason people periodically pull the #2 fuse, to reset the adaptive control memory. For example, if you spend a lot of time driving in traffic, it "adapts" the car to that driving style. Some notice a certain "sluggishness" over time under those conditions - hence resetting the feature. It works.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You probably would have had more luck if you would have put the intake and exhaust on first, just my thought.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never expected to see tire burning inprovements by using any tuner. However, I did notice an improvement in WOT and I did feel the trans firm up somewhat. But they don't improve overall driveability. 1/4 mile times are meaningless for daily driving, and having to slam the throttle to the floor to get the optimized performance isn't practical. Where the 3.5L needs improvements is in part throttle response. From 1.5k to 3K rpms. Above 3K it screams with or without the Predator tune at WOT. But at part throttle I didn't feel any difference. In fact with the shift firmed up it seemed to lose performance.

There's a dead zone from 2-3k at part throttle with the shift firmed up (and surprizingly a lot of drone out of the stock exhaust in that range). It takes that much more throttle to kick it down and get the RPMs into it power band. The Predator tunes are optimized for WOT. There's no way to optimize part throttle response. Which is really what the 3.5L needs. Of course that may not be possible without MAJOR mods, but there should be an option for that on the Predator, even if it's a marginal improvement.

Apparently, Diablosport's latest update isn't an official release. I tried downloading the crom, but it's the same 9r06 version that's been posted for a quite some time. I don't want to beta test an unreleased version for obvious reasons.

On the positive side, the SE is a much better ride than my previous '05 Monte Carlo. It's as fun to drive as my '94 T-Bird was. And overall I'm really happy with it.

Anyway, after all the praise others have given the Predator, my experience with it, so far, has been dissapointing. Perhaps, in combination with the other mods I will be doing I'll have a different perspective of it.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
no dog in this fight since I don't own a pred yet but...

I have read numerous testimonials from people who swear by it.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
thanks for the honest write up.
Shame it's the only game in town.
Did you do before and after dnyo testing or track testing?
On both my SRT8's there is a noticable difference both at the track and on the dnyo.
The car put down 405 with the predator cat back and cai and picked up 3 to 4 tenths at the track.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think some just expect mind blowing performance improvements from the predator. It just doesn't do that

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I probably wouldn't have recommended it for the SE. Nothing wrong with the SE, it's a fine car.

The Predator tune will give you a little bit, but where it's essential is when you get into custom tunes. I can't say much about the 3.5, but the 5.7's and 6.1's really respond to getting more air in/out of the thing, and also a cam. Totally different car at that point, and the custom tunes require more than one pass (for most).

Think of your investment this way; if you need to look at problem codes, data log your car and etc, it's a great tool. I'd not tell you it'll turn your SE into a monster or even something that will surprise you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
One thing you might try, is putting the stock tune back on, start the car and let it sit and Idle for a few minutes (3-5 should be fine) then turn the car off and re-load the tune with proper tune that matches the octane level you have in the tank. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts