Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a predator and I have tried all the tunes and they all feel the same I keep it on 89 because I can't tell a difference what is everyone else using thanks

·
Registered
607 Posts
Havent got the predator yet. Still waiting for them to make it for the '11. If I get it soon and can tell anything, Ill let you know.

·
Registered
145 Posts
aside from the throttle boost setting, you won't notice much down low but it'll be a bit more potent above 4k

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
I have a 09 RT, the difference to me is night and day. Some on here have said there is not much change with the 6 speeds, so is yours a 6-speed or auto? I use the 93 tune and then had it custom tuned from there, need to really change the Fuel/air mixture. When I take it to the dealer and take the tune off, back to factory tune, I can really tell the difference, especially in the throttle response.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have a 09 RT, the difference to me is night and day. Some on here have said there is not much change with the 6 speeds, so is yours a 6-speed or auto? I use the 93 tune and then had it custom tuned from there, need to really change the Fuel/air mixture. When I take it to the dealer and take the tune off, back to factory tune, I can really tell the difference, especially in the throttle response.

*Check's the board name....* Ayep I bet he's the auto. Then again who knows, they haven't said what year car they have either.

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
*Check's the board name....* Ayep I bet he's the auto. Then again who knows, they haven't said what year car they have either.
Point taken, I didnt check to see that it was for an SE. That being the case, I have no advice to give, other than I wouldnt get a Predator for an SE.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Point taken, I didnt check to see that it was for an SE. That being the case, I have no advice to give, other than I wouldnt get a Predator for an SE.
Why? I have found that fuel mileage has increased, power is up, throttle response is fantastic, and as stated above when the rpms get above 3000 it really is a different car. I run with several R/T, SRT's and they have noticed too. I use the 91 w/CAI tune and am now getting average 27 mpg on a mix of hwy/city tanks. I never broke 25 mpg even on the hwy before. And most of all, YES I can spin the rear tires when I want. The biggest change is in throttle response on low rpm take off. Before, the car would just drop then pick up and go. If you have an S/E you know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Why? I have found that fuel mileage has increased, power is up, throttle response is fantastic, and as stated above when the rpms get above 3000 it really is a different car. I run with several R/T, SRT's and they have noticed too. I use the 91 w/CAI tune and am now getting average 27 mpg on a mix of hwy/city tanks. I never broke 25 mpg even on the hwy before. And most of all, YES I can spin the rear tires when I want. The biggest change is in throttle response on low rpm take off. Before, the car would just drop then pick up and go. If you have an S/E you know what I am talking about.
But Hess from a MPG standpoint buying the higher grade gas will offset alot of the savings that you net with higher MPG. I think you'll still be a bit in the plus with the predator but not a whole lot. And it will take quite a while in saving on that gas to offset the price of the predator to begin with.

However, with the Pred you also get the added benefit of spinning tires, increased throttle response etc (fun factor) :)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It helps with the auto, not very noticable if you use 89 octane gas on a 91 tune though. Add some 93 on the 91 cai tune and it does feel different. It will spin on launch which mine would not do before loading the tune, Feels more responsive across whole rpm range, but was not a night and day difference when using lower octane fuel. Wasn't until i put 93 octane in that i noticed a difference. (we have 87, 89 and 93 octane here) I usually use 89 for around town commuting, and put 93 in every couple fillups.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok I have a couple of questions , 1) when buying a programmer I'm pretty sure its between the trinity and preditor both from diablosport, which is a better fit ? 2) when I go to the dealer is there a way I can put back to stock ? And 3) switching from tune to tune wouldn't that mess up the car's computer ? Thanks :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HesseR

Hesser you said 91 cai tune how do I get that I just have 91 and also do you use throttle boost thanks

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
Ok I have a couple of questions , 1) when buying a programmer I'm pretty sure its between the trinity and preditor both from diablosport, which is a better fit ? 2) when I go to the dealer is there a way I can put back to stock ? And 3) switching from tune to tune wouldn't that mess up the car's computer ? Thanks :)
When you first plug the tuner into the car, it will download the factory tune to the tool. It will also VIN lock to your VIN, you cant use it on another car. If you are using the "can" tune, which is the basic installed tune, you load it into the car. When ever you need to take it to the dealer, you reinstall the factory tune, the tool saves that. bring it home from the dealer and then merely reinstall your canned tune. That answers question 2, as far as which is better I have no idea, I have the predator. Question 3 is no, it is a computer like any other, it is just telling the systems to do certain things.

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
I guess my point was based on my personal preference, when I was trying to decide between the SE and RT. When I was considing the SE my thought was that I would never race the car, why did I need the Hemi? I also thought, I am buying the car for the looks, so I can use the extra money to mod the car visually how I wanted. So in my opinion I wasnt buying the car for performence, so there is no need for the predator.

Well that all changed when I first drove the RT, turns out I didnt figure in the "fun Factor" when first deciding. Nothing against the SE, I came about 1 day away from buying one. And once I made the decision to get the RT, all consideration for MPG was not relevent. I bought this for performence, not gas mileage. I get 18mpg and am very happy to get it, I drive her really hard. So for me the predator was to get extra performance, not better mileage. That was my reason for the comment.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The Predator VIN locks itself to each car? DAMN! I was hoping to just borrow someone's Predator and pay them a few bucks. And save a lot of money. Guess not.

Just as well, it'd be a real pain for me to have to work around someone else's schedule to get things done my way.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok ok thanks for the info , I'm going to do a little more research between both tunners if anyone has used the trinity form diablosport let me know how it runs

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The trinity should load the same tunes in as the predator will, the trinity has added features similar to a gtech performance meter built in, and it costs more. If you don't plan on using the 0-60, 1/4 mile time measuring tools (an r/t with evic has a 0-60 timer, the srt8 has the 1/4 mile as well) the predator is the best buy. The trinity is prettier though, i don't go around with the predator plugged in all the time.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
In Houston, we have a club that one of our members is Service Director at a dealer. He has no problem with running a tuner on our cars and we dont have to back out any tunes and go to stock before service work. I decided on the tune and the DSP from advise from other members in the club. Yes, most are R/T's but there are some geeks that love to play with this stuff and helped set up my tune. A car show, predator in hand and about 30 minutes later it was done. I sat in the passenger seat and watched everything he did and I still have no idea exactly what all was set. He just called it a DSP91 w/CAI tune. I used the 93 tune for one 180 mile cruise with other Challengers and was a bit on the edge with some of the things the car did. The difference in stock / DSP 89 / DSP 91 / DSP93 are suttle when going up just one at a time but the car just feels quicker yet more in control with the 91 for me. One other thing I noticed was before the tune, 120 mph was a *****, now its just a 4th gear option when needed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts