Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will a predator tuner do to a stock car or one with just a K&N and exhaust system? What's the best model to get? Can you screw it up and will it show up on the computer history if you need warranty service? Have been reading up on them but prefer the cheapest gas I can run without listening to then engine complain like an ex wife. Why did you purchase a predator or like tuber and how much will they evolve in coming times?

·
Registered
474 Posts
What will a predator tuner do to a stock car or one with just a K&N and exhaust system? What's the best model to get? Can you screw it up and will it show up on the computer history if you need warranty service? Have been reading up on them but prefer the cheapest gas I can run without listening to then engine complain like an ex wife. Why did you purchase a predator or like tuber and how much will they evolve in coming times?
I say go for it! After putting on the 91 octane CAI tune its like a whole different car! Most people just get the Predator which will load tunes and has a datalogging ability for custom tunes, but theres also the trinity which is more expensive which allows for live viewing of important data. If you take your car to a dealer with a predator tune on it and they flash the computer (which they usually do) it will render the predator useless and you'll have to call Diablosport to fix it, I can't recall if it sets your tune back to stock or not however, I believe it does. If you have an R/T or SRT the engine calls for 91 octane and if you run the 91 octane tune, thats what you should use. If you use the 93 octane tune, then use 93. Some will say that the 93 octane tune works best with 91 octane gas, but I'm not gonna try it and find out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I myself was not happy with the performance of my 08, after the predator tuner I can't say anything bad! 93 octane tune with mopar intake and exhaust woke my car right up! 100% difference! I also love the feature that lets us turn the abs and traction control off! This is nice when you want to show off to your friends and lay down some serious rubber, Not a good idea If you are new to these cars and taking it fast in the corners or are at your local track days ripping it around the road course! It does help hold the over 4k car on the track and you should be an experienced track driver to have all these assist off when driving the car at its limit .

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you wanna run cheap gas dont do it. theres no point, nothing to gain running 87 or 89. It is a great thing to have though not just for the 91/93 oct tunes, there are a whole load of other functions on there to play with (if you know how). And once you get deeper into mods it only gets more handy.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I see a lot of people have a 180 thermostat with the tuner. Is this a requirement or just a precaution?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't have a 180 T Stat and I have the Predator. The Predator will allow you to adjust your fans in the event that you do decide to go with a cooler T Stat. I will suggest getting a catch can though. It's recommended by Diablo and aids in reducing Knock Retard (KR). It's also a good investment for keeping gunk (oil vapor build up) out of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have ordered a Predator from maryland co. I am not interested in custom tuning not data logging at this time. I want to plug it in, and have it work, with NO issues... no codes....no sending it back, etc.

I have a company car so I don't drive the Challenger much, I dont mind pumping premium. I have read many posts, some are so old I tend to discount them. Does anyone have any issues with a recent canned tune install?, if so, which one?

thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much do these things cost? Do they hook in the car forever or do they hook up to tune and then remove? Can I have someone who owns one tune my car? How much more power would it have with a 93 tune? Will I hurt my dealer bumper to bumper warenty?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
They are about $280 and up to ship to your door. They hook up, tune, and then you remove it. Sure you can always have someone else tune it, but if it's a shop they will probably charge you. It comes with preset tunes so all you would have to do is select 91 tune, or 93, 91 CAI, 93 CAI, etc.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It sounds like you are totally new to warranties and car modifications. Rule of thumb: any performance mod can void your warranty. Plain and simple. Typically, the dealer/Dodge would need to show that what you did to the car caused or is correlated to the problem you are getting serviced. Given that...

The predator is basically a hand held computer. You plug it into your vehicles diagnostic outlet and its fairly simple from there. Just follow the directions on screen.

If you need to take your car into the dealer, then you plug in the predator, and swap out the predator tune for your stock tune. Done deal. The predator is fairly easy to follow, its all done via step by step on screen instructions. Can the dealer "see" that you've been playing with the tunes? No... not that I've ever been aware of. But, when I had the original predator for the SRT8, I always told the dealer to not re-flash my car when it went in for service... its my understanding you predator will only save ONE tune, and if your car's stock tune gets re-flashed, you have to call predator to help you out.

If you are nervous about using the tuner, find someone local to you who has experience with them. It won't take a mechanic... but find some other enthusiast to assist you locally.

But its really simple. The tuner turns on (lights up), you scroll to the tune you want, select upload... basically its that easy.

As for performance... yes, you will notice a significant difference, especially in throttle response (at least it was that way with my 07 Charger SRT8).

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If you return your car to the stock tune before taking it into the dealer, and the dealer reflashes the computer, won't the Predator save the new stock tune when you go to reinstall the custom tune?

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you return your car to the stock tune before taking it into the dealer, and the dealer reflashes the computer, won't the Predator save the new stock tune when you go to reinstall the custom tune?
The predator ditches your saved stock tune when you reinstall it, so it would be free to resave the 'new' stock tune when you go to put a custom tune back on.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
The answer is yes. When you plug it in it backs up whatever tune is in the ECU at the time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had DRLs activated at the dealer and this got me thinking about reflashes. How can I verify which tune is present in the ECU with my Predator?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I'm sure it says in the directions, but I am curious, where do they hook up to the car? Where is the interface located?
Right under the steering column between your knees and your feet..

I had DRLs activated at the dealer and this got me thinking about reflashes. How can I verify which tune is present in the ECU with my Predator?
The Predator will only work with one tune in the ECU at one time. It either has the stock tune or the one you downloaded into the ECU from the Predator. The Predator will operate based on which tune file is in the ECU, either 91oct w/CAI or 93oct w/CAI etc. Once you download the tune to the ECU you can make changes to the operating parameters of idle speed, shift point and firmness (if you have an Auto), rev limiter, radiator fan settings, fuel air mixture, spark advance etc. I don't believe you can make changes to the factory tune, when you first plug the unit in it will want to back up the factory tune at which point it will give the option to choose which tune you want to push out to the ECU. Your factory tune will be held inside the Predator until such time when you plug it back in and choose to swap the installed tune for the factory tune it backed up previously. I went a step further and purchased me an interface cable for the Predator which allows you to plug the Predator into to a PC whereby you can then back up the factory tune to the PC for safe keeping. I'm just paranoid that way.
I hope I didn't confuse the matter even further.. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Will the Predator lose it's memory if you change the batteries or if the batteries go dead? I have a PDA for work that this happens to and that is why I'm asking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts