Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Jet 180 stat w/gasket for the 2010 6.1L. I'm on the fence about the programmer to get Trinity or Predator etc. seems to be some back and forth concerning them on the forum, until I get opinion on that I wait. So fan adjustment will remain stock. In the mean time would it be pointless or detrimental in any way to go ahead and install the stat? Without ability to adj fan duty time? And, with the engine stonecold will there be alot of fluid loss,curious. Appreciate experienced feedback Eric

5,134 Posts
On the highway, your engine will run cooler since your car is getting air. When you come to a stop, since it's cooler already, it will take it longer to reach 220. So there are advantages to getting a lower tstat even if you don't program the fans.

Yes, there will be fluid loss. Clean up the surfaces below nice and clean and use a big ziploc bag to catch escaping fluid.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Never do anything half way...

I've got a Jet 180 stat w/gasket for the 2010 6.1L. I'm on the fence about the programmer to get Trinity or Predator etc. seems to be some back and forth concerning them on the forum, until I get opinion on that I wait. So fan adjustment will remain stock. In the mean time would it be pointless or detrimental in any way to go ahead and install the stat? Without ability to adj fan duty time? And, with the engine stonecold will there be alot of fluid loss,curious. Appreciate experienced feedback Eric
dodgetime;

Installing the 180 Tstat and not moving the fan settings is kinda like buying
one shoe.

Its simply not going to be effective and worth the effort.

Once the engine heats up enough to open the Tstat, the engine will now
heat the radiator until the stock fan settings kick the LO/HI on......

Don't waste your time doing something halfway....

:smokin:

·
Registered
688 Posts
One other thing to note is that without a Predator or Trinity, you will have no way of clearing the infamous P0128 cel. Most likely, you will get this code at some point. It just means that your car didn't heat up as fast as expected by the puter. I get them quite often in the colder months. No biggie if you don't mind looking at that little engine light up on your instrument cluster.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
appreciate and understand all points. Then what is the latest opinions on the better proggrammer to buy. Willing to pay whatever it takes to get the right one first.

5,134 Posts
Predator vs. Trinity depends on what you want to do. Both have the same 'programming' abilities. Trinity has a colour touch screen and much more memory, so you can use it as a real-time gauge monitor, to datalog tons of stuff and to do 0-60, 0-100 and 1/4 mile times if your car doesn't have the EVIC.

In other words, if all you want to do is program your car, get the Predator. If you want to program AND monitor gauges, datalog, and use the Racing functions, get the Trinity.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do have EVIC. So programming functions about equal. I dont see datalogging being useful yet. But if I do decide to go racing down the road, with this car or another challenger maybe nice to have. When tuning/dyno is the owners programmer the portal to make changes in AF? for the tuner, and either would suffice?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
do have EVIC. So programming functions about equal. I dont see datalogging being useful yet. But if I do decide to go racing down the road, with this car or another challenger maybe nice to have. When tuning/dyno is the owners programmer the portal to make changes in AF? for the tuner, and either would suffice?
The predator or trinity is the portal to make changes to the tune. Even if you go to the dyno shop, you'll need the programmer.

Your first initial bang for buck on the Challenger is the 180 t-stat and a predator. Utilize the canned tunes. Raise the shift points. Reset the TCM adaptives every so often.

I would then say look into a A/F gauge so you can tune the WOT settings on your own.

Dyno tune from here. Or if you plan to upgrade in the future to different internals and CAI etc, then save the money until after the mods are done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts