Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting on my GWE. Not sure what grade fuel is required for these beasts! What grade is recommended from dodge? What do you guys use?
Is it also true that it comes with ,and requires synthetic oil?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Waiting on my GWE. Not sure what grade fuel is required for these beasts! What grade is recommended from dodge? What do you guys use?
Is it also true that it comes with ,and requires synthetic oil?

Thanks!!
Grade fuel required: 91 octane
Grade fuel recommended: 91 octane
What I used: 93 octane (the place I use no has no 91)
Type oil vehicle comes with: API Certified SAE 5W-40 full synthetic engine oil, API Certified. (Probably Pennzoil)

I'd always use synthetic. 0W - 30 to 10W - 50 is fine.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Mobile one 0/40 is what is in the SRT
Mobile 1 was put into previous SRT8s. But, the Mobile 1 contract was ceased when Chrysler went Bankrupt. That's why the oil filler cap doesn't call out the use of Mobile 1 oil.

The new oil contract was given to Pennzoil; hence, one of Penske's NASCAR Dodge teams is sponsored by Pennzoil this year instead of the old Mobile 1 sponsorship.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm almost certain the window visor SRT label recommends 93. I'll check tomorrow to be sure.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
From the "Component Fluid, Lubricant, or Genuine Part Capacities" Section in the 2011 Challenger User's Guide:

Fuel Selection:
3.6L - 87 Octane Acceptable. 89 Octane Recommended.
5.7L - 87 Octane Acceptable. 89 Octane Recommended.
6.4L - Premium Unleaded 91 Octane or higher.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The SRT8 technician at the local Dodge dealer says the 392 will pull so much timing on 87 octane that it will be down at least 30 HP compared to 93 octane. The engine is rated for HP/TQ on 91 octane and will make even more power on 93 octane.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Woops.... I put 87 in mine the last time because they were out of premium and mid grade!

Can't wait to get some 93 back in her tank!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i think almost every new car uses synthetic now...my wifes new Chevy crossover does too.....Synthetic is not just for performance cars anymore

i try to find 93 octane......i think i can feel the 2 HP difference between 91 and 93

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
i try to find 93 octane......i think i can feel the 2 HP difference between 91 and 93
Seriously, the SRT engineers say 93 lops off about 2-3 tenths to 60 MPH, as compared to 91 octane.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
I think the old days were better. People bought performance cars that required premium (leaded as it should be) and tried to cheap out a few bucks by using regular and the engine self destructed.:guiness:

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
I think the old days were better. People bought performance cars that required premium (leaded as it should be) and tried to cheap out a few bucks by using regular and the engine self destructed.:guiness:

Yeah, superior metallurgy and computers made that a thing of the past.. Try running an "old school" motor with 11.0:1 static CR on pump gas.... Computers are GRrrrrrrrrrEAT! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Seriously, the SRT engineers say 93 lops off about 2-3 tenths to 60 MPH, as compared to 91 octane.
i dont doubt it does something....something that could be measured, but to say it drops .3 of a second 0-60 has to be BS....think about it....

going from a 6.1 to a 6.4 gets you .4 faster, Buuuuut going 6.4 w/ 93 octane gets you another .3????

when your in the 4 second range .1 is huge.... .3 is a lot

now i dont doubt its .03 of a second.....but not .3......id have to see it to believe that one....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
actually in the old days you just had to retard timing if you used lower octane gas, to minimize detonation. I've used regular in my 440 magnum before, a 1/2 wrench and 3 seconds and can turn the distributor slightly to retard the timing and it runs fine. Sure performance is decreased, but i've never exploded a motor due to the octane rating of fuel. (failure of the oil pump drive shaft killed two of them though). You just don't want to race with regular in the tank. The 440s (10.25:1) were very hardy, a little detonation isn't going to make it fail.

Keep in mind that premium back in the old days was 98-100 octane, regular was 90 or so. (and we didn't have a mid grade unless you counted gasahol)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I love how the car calls for 91 or higher, but when the dealer dilevers it to you, its full of 87....I would have paid the difference in price. The car is running fine, but the weather here has been sooo crappy I only have 100 miles on her. At this rate with the weather that tank will last me until July.LOL

By the way.. If the 87 is causing it to drop 30hp.... Holy shizbutt... Can't wait to put the 93 in it...Wahoooo

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
I love how the car calls for 91 or higher, but when the dealer dilevers it to you, its full of 87....I would have paid the difference in price. The car is running fine, but the weather here has been sooo crappy I only have 100 miles on her. At this rate with the weather that tank will last me until July.LOL

By the way.. If the 87 is causing it to drop 30hp.... Holy shizbutt... Can't wait to put the 93 in it...Wahoooo

LOL ain't that the truth? :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 First Drive: Dodge Challenger Review

I was going from memory and thought it was 0.2-0.3 (sorry). It's actually 0.1-0.2 second improvement 0-60 going from 91 to 93 octane, according to Chief SRT Engineer Tom McCarthy.

"Even quicker times might be possible outside of California, where the pumps only serve premium rated at 91 octane. McCarthy figures the car can improve by a tenth or two to 60."

1 - 20 of 36 Posts