Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
SKEPTICAL
I'll be honest, I'm feeling a little skeptical here. You've posted dyno charts showing significant gains, especially with the 2018 392 that you tested with the touring edition of your cat back exhaust system. These gains seem too good to be true. For years guys have been searching on this forum for the holy grail of increasing power to the wheels. We have looked at every possible way to do this, and my concern is that the approximate 7 1/2 percent power gain you've posted is too good to be true.

REALLY?
You are advertising that your system can produce an additional 30 lb/ft of torque and 27 hp to the rear wheels. You also claimed something about a certain percentage of power gains. But the only information you give is that this is an "average of valid runs" on the dyno.

QUESTIONS
As I said, these are some pretty significant numbers. I've learned over the years to be skeptical about advertiser's claims both on this forum and others as well. We have proven more than once that facts and manufacturer's claims are not the same thing. So I have a couple questions. Can you post some actual tests you've run rather than these averaged or modified or doctored (not sure what to call them) dyno tests that you've provided? Have these cars had any other work done, such as what we would call a "tune?"
look we all know that the 2 gains from a Cat Back are:
1.) Increase Noise
2.) weight loss over the oem set up.

But if AWE wants to participate in the same "puffery" that used car salesmen and exhaust and CAI manufactures indulge in that is fine. Honestly I prefer the sound of an "H" pipe (more old school) over that of an "X" pipe (more Euro and rice) and both do the exact same thing.

·
Vendor
11 Posts
REALLY?
You are advertising that your system can produce an additional 30 lb/ft of torque and 27 hp to the rear wheels. You also claimed something about a certain percentage of power gains. But the only information you give is that this is an "average of valid runs" on the dyno.
From our website:
  • Charger 392: Max gains of 15 hp and 12 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels
  • Charger Hellcat: Max gains of 10 hp and 9 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels
Are you seeing different information somewhere? Here's the listing for these exhausts on our site. Let us know if you have any other questions.

·
Vendor
11 Posts
Honestly I prefer the sound of an "H" pipe (more old school) over that of an "X" pipe (more Euro and rice) and both do the exact same thing.
Thanks for your candid response, Frank. We tested both H and X pipes for the sound we preferred here at AWE. We chose the H-Pipe route for our goals. Having roots in the Euro-space and having developed a lot of stuff for other Modern Muscle from the blue oval and the bowtie crowd, we went this direction for the MOPAR line. Everything about this system was specifically developed for these engines and chassis (like the clearance for larger rears, etc). Hope this helps out other people here on the forum and keep the questions coming!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
I would be interested in seeing the power curves of the 5.7. Everything I have seen on the internet states 3" exhaust will result in some low end loss. Good thing I run headers, SC and 6.2 cam. Love the tone but my biggest concern would be drone.

·
Vendor
11 Posts
I would be interested in seeing the power curves of the 5.7. Everything I have seen on the internet states 3" exhaust will result in some low end loss. Good thing I run headers, SC and 6.2 cam. Love the tone but my biggest concern would be drone.
When we launch the 5.7 line the dyno sheets will be part of the usual package we publish. I have driven the 5.7 with all configurations as well as the Hellcat, and I would say you might consider the resonated Touring system for you mods and in-cabin livability. Keep in mind that our Touring system does not add a muffler or restriction, but we do add our 180 Technology™ resonators. Here is the comparable system for the 392/HC. Note the additional resonators after the H-Pipe. That is going to be the key difference between the Touring options- Resonated adds theses, Non-Resonated deletes these.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
When we launch the 5.7 line the dyno sheets will be part of the usual package we publish. I have driven the 5.7 with all configurations as well as the Hellcat, and I would say you might consider the resonated Touring system for you mods and in-cabin livability. Keep in mind that our Touring system does not add a muffler or restriction, but we do add our 180 Technology™ resonators. Here is the comparable system for the 392/HC. Note the additional resonators after the H-Pipe. That is going to be the key difference between the Touring options- Resonated adds theses, Non-Resonated deletes these.

Damn, you are like 5 hours away. I'd volunteer to have you dyno my car at OST Dyno before and after install.... :D LOL

And screw those resonators

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
From our website:
  • Charger 392: Max gains of 15 hp and 12 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels
  • Charger Hellcat: Max gains of 10 hp and 9 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels
Are you seeing different information somewhere? Here's the listing for these exhausts on our site. Let us know if you have any other questions.
I stand by what I said. To answer you question, yes indeed I am seeing some different information. You need to look at what you posted a little more carefully. I was talking about your dyno run. If it helps you, you posted several dyno charts. The one I'm referring to is for the 392 as I said: it was the FIRST dyno chart of the ones you posted. It specifically lists the horsepower and torque gains. My numbers were accurate sir.

·
Vendor
11 Posts
My numbers were accurate sir.
I wanted to follow up with some clarification:

Here is our claim from our site:

Here is our dyno chart we posted above as referenced above:

Here's how we did our math (Charger 392):
Blue is TORQUE: T2 - T1 = Total Gain or Loss Torque: 410 - 398 = 12 tq
Red is Horsepower: H2 - H1 = Total Gain or Loss Horsepower: 440 - 425 = 15 hp

Hope this is helpful!

·
Vendor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I stand by what I said. To answer you question, yes indeed I am seeing some different information. You need to look at what you posted a little more carefully. I was talking about your dyno run. If it helps you, you posted several dyno charts. The one I'm referring to is for the 392 as I said: it was the FIRST dyno chart of the ones you posted. It specifically lists the horsepower and torque gains. My numbers were accurate sir.
Hi, Gary. While I can understand one's position of being skeptical of power figures (regardless of the application or area of the vehicle it's being applied to) I can ensure you we're very anti-fluff here. Since '91 we have been in the business of proven, and repeatable performance. With that comes some impressive moments, while also rendering some incidents where feelings can be hurt. We're one of the few manufacturers that truly torture tests products on our in-house dyno to ensure designs are successful. They make what they make, and the deltas are very much a reality (and repeatable!) :)

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I'm thinking 3" may be too big for stock applications on the 5.7l between it's smaller cubic inch and lower max. RPM you may lose too much exit velocity on the exhaust at lower RPMs. But you guys will dyno it and will see for sure how it does.
Oh and the first person that comes on here and says, "You won't have enough back pressure" better just stick to driving a Tesla.

·
Vendor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm thinking 3" may be too big for stock applications on the 5.7l between it's smaller cubic inch and lower max. RPM you may lose too much exit velocity on the exhaust at lower RPMs. But you guys will dyno it and will see for sure how it does.
Oh and the first person that comes on here and says, "You won't have enough back pressure" better just stick to driving a Tesla.
Already been tortured on the rollers and the results were solid! (y)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
So there was an old thread here I saw the other day and a member thought the same thing until he took it in for a dyno run.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well it depends
2015-2016 have the 2.5 exhaust pipe
The 2017 have 2.75 due to active exhaust valves
My car is a 17 and has the 2.75 size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 63 Posts