Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a pressure washer to help keep my car clean. I'm getting it ceramic coated next week and didn't know if a pressure washer would be needed or if a normal garden hose will be sufficient. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Are you talking about generally washing the car or using high pressure on the wheels and under the fenders?
Personally, I wouldn't allow a pressure washer near my car. It gets washed with nice, fluffy, soft microfiber towels and high quality car wash liquid.

I don't know why anyone would ever need high pressure to wash a car.
But, that's just me.

·
Registered
960 Posts
A pressure washer is fine, just don't be stupid with it.

With that said, I don't know why you would need one unless you live on something like a dirt road.

Most of your cars have likely been pressure washed dozens of times. Many dealers have a contracted crew that comes in, very early in the morning, and washes all the cars on the lot, a couple times a month. A pressure washer is used for speed.

I actually looked at a new T/A 392 about 3 weeks ago that had paint damage on the hood from a pressure washer. That flat clear does not like a close range attack from a pressure washer.

·
Registered
66 Posts

With that said, I don't know why you would need one unless you live on something like a dirt road.

Most of your cars have likely been pressure washed dozens of times. Many dealers have a contracted crew that comes in, very early in the morning, and washes all the cars on the lot, a couple times a month. A pressure washer is used for speed.

I actually looked at a new T/A 392 about 3 weeks ago that had paint damage on the hood from a pressure washer. That flat clear does not like a close range attack from a pressure washer.
That's key right there. Don't be stupid with it. Keep it a foot away from the paint and you'll be fine.

Why would you need one? Well you don't, BUT when your vehicle is ceramic coated, a pressure washer will move so much dirt off the surface that by the time you're done rinsing and ready to start the wash there is hardly any dirt left on the car. That being said, NEVER pressure wash it and just wipe it down dry. Always do an actual wash.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I rinse my car with a hose, then use my pressure washer just to run a cheap foam gun. I foam the car an inch thick in foam then I go over the car with two mitts dunked in soapy water, using one for the top and one for the bottom foot or so. A separate bucket for to rinse the dirty mitts, followed by a rinse with the hose before redipping in the soap. Then I rinse with a hose with no sprayer on it at all. The soap will just sheet off if the car's wax is in good shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm not planning on using a high pressure nozzle, just the fan nozzle. I wasn't sure if it would do a better job than a garden hose. I guess I'll try the hose first and see.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,073 Posts
I'd think for washing the car a pressure washer would really only good to run a foam cannon. You can find foamers for the garden hose. You may not get the fun full on foam covered car effect, but you'll still get the advantages.

You can find these on detailing sites, and branded, but they are all the same, and this is cheaper

https://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Foamaster-II-Cleaning-Sprayer/dp/B000Y190WE

Comes with the quick release nozzle

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,470 Posts
I know there are a lot of purists on the site that are meticulous about maintaining the finish of their cars and I respect that. I use a pressure washer about 1/2 the time when washing my cars. Of course I don't get the nozzle too close and I use a fan type nozzle. I find that it works well and actually uses less water than with a standard nozzle on a garden hose. I get the surface stuff off first, soap, then rinse. And it does a great job removing brake dust and bug bodies too. I'm pretty sure one could look at the paint on my car and not be able to tell how it is washed. To each his own though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nothing wrong with a karcher car unit-great for wheels and wheel wells
Foam gun and the goodies-Adams products work mighty fine

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
641 Posts
Nothing wrong with using a pressure washer as long as a little common sense is used as several members have suggested. The pressure washer can remove things that you wouldn't want to be pushing across the paint surface with a wash mitt.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Nothing wrong with using a pressure washer as long as a little common sense is used as several members have suggested. The pressure washer can remove things that you wouldn't want to be pushing across the paint surface with a wash mitt.
Yeah, if your car looks like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 R/T
496 Posts
I only use water-less spray wash and wax on my car no hose or pressure washer will come near mine. But mine is garage kept and doesn't see dirt roads or rain or snow

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,073 Posts
I'm not saying you can't use a pressure washer to wash the car...I'm saying you don't need a pressure washer just for washing the car. If you also want to wash your patio, the siding on your house, etc. Then get a foaming attachment and have at it. Just more of an outlay than you need for just washing the car. A Guy

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've been known to use one to rinse bugs and brake dust off my car. These Brembos leave so much brake dust I like to sometimes knock a bit of it off before washing. As others have said, a little common sense goes a long way.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts

I indeed live on a dirt road. I have a pressure washer and used it to wash some of my other cars years ago. The one I have is a commercial unit with a 13 horse Honda engine and can develop some pretty strong spray. Needless to say, I've got more sense than to hold it one inch away and start blasting. Here's what I learned:

It gets the crud off a little faster, but considering the time it takes to unwind a 50 foot pressure washer hose and wheel the thing back out to the shed when I'm done, it doesn't actually save me any time.

Pressure washer hoses don't flex like garden hoses, and when ya twist 'em just right, the spring off the ground and bounce against the side of your car: they don't play well with others.

The car is still dirty when I'm done. Dirt residue remains on the car even under serious pressure. It leaves streaks. It removes heavier stuff great: for example if you were out mudding with your Jeep. But there's no substitute for a soft sponge, quality soap and the garden hose.

So... don't waste your time. A garden hose with 60 psi will do just fine.

Gary

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
I use the GreenWorks 1600 psi pressure washer, with the white 40* nozzle. This powerwasher is great for other things around the house, but especially good for a foam cannon, which produces far greater suds than a hose-equipped foam gun.

I have never had issues with the 40* nozzle being too harsh; it wets the car nicely from a distance, and up close gets the drag strip crud out of the wheel wells, and baked on bugs, dirt and grime without harming the paint.

At the end of the day, it's not what you use to spray water, but what you've done to protect your paint that will make the biggest difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts