Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Flowmaster,
As a Xmas gift my wife got me the American Thunder system for my 6 spd R/T Classic. I just finished installing it today and I have to say I am very pleased with the way it turned out. The biggest pain was removing my stock system then aligning your system. I gotta tell you I was a little nervous at first during the install. The pipes seemed way too but after I clamped everything down it firmed up nicely. The only real concern I have is drive shaft clearance with the passenger side muffler. I have about 3/4 of an inch of clearance between a bolt on the drive shaft coupler and the muffler. Looks like it will stay clear and there shouldn't be any issues but the car is on jacks right now till spring so I won't know for sure till after I lower it and put a load back on it. One small improvment to make would be on the drivers side tail pipe. The first hangar is a little short. I had to compress the rubber isolator a bit in order to get the retaining ring on it. I made it work though and no issues. Thanks again. Great system.
JC:thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Warning to future buyers!!!

I feel the need to add a caveat to my initial posting on this system. I am still very pleased with the sound and quality of the sytem but I want to warn all future buyers that they should be aware of a potential install problem that Flowmaster should address.
On the drivers side muffler there is a very high likelyhood that the muffler can make rubbing contact with the driveshaft coupler. I have had to readjust the system twice so far to get the minimum 1/2 inch clearance Flowmaster recommends to keep the drive shaft from rubbing the muffler. I litterally had to smack the muffler with a rubber mallet to get it to seat in the x pipe far enough to clear it. Suffice to say it was a royal biach to get done. I then had to torque the clamps down as hard as humanly possible with hand tools to keep the vibration from losening the muffler back up. So far my last attempt has no rubbing but I will still probably take it to a exhaust shop for a final adjustment just to make sure.
You guys at Flowmaster need to address this in your install instructions. The mufflers are very tight up under the body and though the backyard mechanic can do this install some people may find this very difficult. Still all in all I am pleased with the system and love the sound and the added power the motor is getting from the highflow. Just do a better job please with your design next time and realize that if you advertise this as a bolt on system then make sure the clearances are more easily achievable. Thank you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Would also like to add that I installed mine as well and my American Thunder system also experienced the muffler hitting the driveshaft bolts on a left turn. So I decided to cut 3/4 of an inch off the driver side back of the X pipe and 1/3 inch off the passenger side and this gave the clearance it should have come with. Even as good as it fits now I still put a couple tack welds on the inlet/outlet of the mufflers along with the clamps to make sure. Don't let this discourage anyone from buying the system as it still sounds great :bigthumb:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey guys,
Thanks for sharing, we're glad you were able to get your AT systems installed. Did you get a chance to call our tech line when you were experiencing these issues? We’re always open to feedback and also willing to help during installation. The number is toll free. 1-800-544-4761

We’ll pass your comments along and we’re glad you like the sound!

7,359 Posts
Im beyond pleased I went with a flow master cat back on my new 392 and had to get another cat back for my 6.1 when I returned from a cross country trip to SF6 to replace my corsa I thought I liked :p The min I got home I ordered up a system thru Bob Frederick and it was at my door in 1 day!The guys at the shop where just freaking how bad azz the 3 inch exhaust sounded so I had to leave a big pile of rubber in the lot for em ,and man did it sound and feel so much better.I notcied I hit my shifts better as well,win win..Oh and one more thing with the ram air and 3 inch exhaust this car is a raped ape now there is no more studder when I start the car on cold days when it would studder dropping to idle.No more of that like with the corsa system ...I noticed it running better right off the bat just what the Dr ordered the car plain breaths better more air ,and it runs a bit leaner = more HP!
Cant wait to dyno it soon.
Heres a video from the drivers seat of Kowalski Edition 1 pulling into host hotel ,and man it sounds great TY Flowmaster I found what I was looking for after 3 cat back systems its Flowmaster all the way if you want that true old school ROAR !
Ill post vid of the 6.1 and its new Flow Master cat back asap..Enjoy the sound in the video below and there is no drone what so ever on both the 2011 392 or the 2009 6.1

·
Registered
585 Posts
the flowmaster sounds great, my pick also, when I do it. The backroun music also was choice, some real old time all time tune CCR is, makes the head and legs move. appreciate the vid notsure. Nice rides

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey guys,
Thanks for sharing, we're glad you were able to get your AT systems installed. Did you get a chance to call our tech line when you were experiencing these issues? We’re always open to feedback and also willing to help during installation. The number is toll free. 1-800-544-4761

Nah I never would have called the tech line cause honestly it's an issue that can be fixed by any "do it your selfer" and any muffler shop would no doubt trim the extra. Again I love the flowmaster chambered sound it really is the american v8 sound. I was thinking today as I was driving my car taking the wife to work and had the windows down "man these mufflers are sure soundin good"

7,359 Posts
Hell yeah the videos speak louder then words! My pleasure for when I come across a product like this that is a perfect match for our vehicles I will do what I can to help assist other buyers anytime.
Here's some video of in the cabin and its very comfortable!
6.1 video to soon follow the 6.1 sound better than the 392 with a flow master cat back on it ..Say Hi to Larry for us all tell him to wash his bad ass rig! Great guy as well nice meeting him at Challenger Fest in Bowling Green last year he and I judged the car show,cool guy no doubt !

K-1 car with Flow master cat back Beach Burger SF6 so cool to see the car from the other prepective not driving ...

Hey guys,

7,359 Posts
My 6.1 with the new flowmaster exhuast and new OEM clutch.!! Holy ****
The new OEM Clutch hooks up like the 392 cutch did!

No more drive train slop launching what so ever!
Sounds wicked as hell! Ram air and 3" exhaust the only way !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts