Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 300 plus mile road trip in my 2011 Challenger. Had the cruise set on 75 mph and got 30.6 mpg on the evic readout and that includes about 45 miles of two lane mountain roads. VERY satisfied with that. Car has 1458 miles on it, so it should be pretty well broken in.

Devildog

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just got back from a 300 plus mile road trip in my 2011 Challenger. Had the cruise set on 75 mph and got 30.6 mpg on the evic readout and that includes about 45 miles of two lane mountain roads. VERY satisfied with that. Car has 1458 miles on it, so it should be pretty well broken in.

Devildog
In my experiences with new cars, the mileage wont top out until you have about 5-6K miles. Pretty good right out of the box though....imagine if it had an 8 speed trans.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
check it against paper and pen. those electronics can either be dead on or wildly off.
hope it's correct though cause that would be excellent mileage.
I'm averaging at 25 now with mostly highway with my 3.5L

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
check it against paper and pen. those electronics can either be dead on or wildly off.
hope it's correct though cause that would be excellent mileage.
I'm averaging at 25 now with mostly highway with my 3.5L
Actually did that this afternoon when I filled up. 342 miles and 11.6 gals = 29.5 mpg, the evic is reading 29.9 mpg. Pretty close.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I filled mine last night 395.1 miles 16.28 gals = 24.27mpg, the evic read 24.10 mpg average. The car has the 3.6 and about 1100 miles, the trip miles were probably 85% highway. My last tank full was below 25mpg also.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Resurrecting an older thread....

I've been surprisingly pleased with the mileage on my 2011 SE, to date. I have just under 1000 miles on it and have had it for 3 weeks or so.
The VAST majority of my miles are commute, heavy traffic, stop and go, both ways to and from work.

I reset the EVIC at about 700 miles and started playing the 'eco game' with my foot and try to keep the lighted message on as often as possible, just out of curiousity.
So....for the last 200+ miles commuting, I've been between 21.5 to 22.0 and as high as 22.6.:thumbsup: As boring as it may be, I wanted a benchmark for my commute. "Best case scenario", so to speak.

Then....I had to swap rigs with Mrs 2LZ. I needed her 4WD truck for a couple days in the mountains Thursday and Friday of last week. I got back early last Saturday morning and we go out to breakfast. Couldn't wait to drive my new car!:)
I clicked over to the eco screen....18.2! WTH!?:scratchhead:

She just grinned........:disgust:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Resurrecting an older thread....

I've been surprisingly pleased with the mileage on my 2011 SE, to date. I have just under 1000 miles on it and have had it for 3 weeks or so.
The VAST majority of my miles are commute, heavy traffic, stop and go, both ways to and from work.

I reset the EVIC at about 700 miles and started playing the 'eco game' with my foot and try to keep the lighted message on as often as possible, just out of curiousity.
So....for the last 200+ miles commuting, I've been between 21.5 to 22.0 and as high as 22.6.:thumbsup: As boring as it may be, I wanted a benchmark for my commute. "Best case scenario", so to speak.

Then....I had to swap rigs with Mrs 2LZ. I needed her 4WD truck for a couple days in the mountains Thursday and Friday of last week. I got back early last Saturday morning and we go out to breakfast. Couldn't wait to drive my new car!:)
I clicked over to the eco screen....18.2! WTH!?:scratchhead:

She just grinned........:disgust:

Mopar ladies. Nothing like them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,024 Posts
For what it is worth, I just had a rental 2011 dodge challenger v-6 for 5 days and 1,000 miles. My best tank full (Brainerd to fargo and back, about 300 miles) was 33 mpg and over all for the whole rental period 31 mpg. I verified a couple times doing the math and it was within 2/10 mpg.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't know how u guys r getting the great 30 mpg. I get around 18-20. R u all using mid grade gas? I just changed from low to mid and I'm getting a few miles better, and better performance. I also live in the hills of West Virginia so that might be part of it. But what do I guys do?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't know how u guys r getting the great 30 mpg. I get around 18-20. R u all using mid grade gas? I just changed from low to mid and I'm getting a few miles better, and better performance. I also live in the hills of West Virginia so that might be part of it. But what do I guys do?
Maybe it's your hills....I don't know.
I will say this though. We left a friends house in Pine Grove (2000 feet) this morning after staying the night....roads clear, open HWY 16 coming back to Sac.
I got gas in Martell, at the top of the hill and hit the highway. I reset my EVIC MPG screen and was PAINFULLY concious of how I was feathering the pedal all the way down....it was early, no real traffic, open road and Mrs 2LZ was reading, so I went 'anal' on it to see how good of MPG I could get.
I did 65-70 mph all the way down the hill till I hit Sac. The only drawback was a slight headwind. Other than that, perfect conditions.
I was at about 35 miles into the trip when I came to my first stop light. I clicked the button and much to my surprise....35.6 MPG.
Made my morning.........then I jumped on it!:pimp:

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 2013 challenger should come available with the new 8 speed auto which will be good for another 15% increase in mileage. The 2012 charger with it is rated 18/31 compared to 17/27 with the 5 speed

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
92 Posts
8 speed

The 2013 challenger should come available with the new 8 speed auto which will be good for another 15% increase in mileage. The 2012 charger with it is rated 18/31 compared to 17/27 with the 5 speed

would the 8 speed keep the aggressive drive the 5 does? cuz if the challenger rides like a luxury car i dont want it...even though the gas mileage would be nice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The reviews of the charger with it looks good with additional lower gears for better low end performance and more steep gears for improved highway mileage. Very smooth and quick shifts

·
Registered
538 Posts
The reviews of the charger with it looks good with additional lower gears for better low end performance and more steep gears for improved highway mileage. Very smooth and quick shifts

I was thinking about this just this morning. If the 8 speed hangs onto shifts like the 5 speed, it'll do 500 mph!:smokin:

I'd imagine there's gonna be a lot of constant shifting going on shuffling 8 gears between 0 and 75 mph, which is where we generally drive 95% of the time. With that much activity, I hope it's almost CV smooth.

It'll also be nice to let them get whatever bugs worked out in the Charger before dropping it in the Challenger.
How many years did it take GM to work the bugs out of the 700-R4?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe it's a dual clutch setup so it's really smooth. As I understand it, they extensively tested it before dropping it into the production models.

If they offer it next year I'll be looking into trading my '10 rallye for a 2013 rallye ss with 55 more hp, and 30% better mileage with the srt rear end. Hopefully they also will offer a limited slip setup for it as well then it would be the perfect setup

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was maintaining 28-30MPG for the first 5000 miles on my 2011 Se. I if it dropped down below 28 I just drove my 70 mile round trip commute at 60 MPH and it would get right back up to 30. But then..........I started DRIVING it lol. Now I am at about 26-27 MPG and not afraid to play a little and mash the gas. So yes these can get great mileage but if you drive aggressive and play a bit it can drop fast.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was maintaining 28-30MPG for the first 5000 miles on my 2011 Se. I if it dropped down below 28 I just drove my 70 mile round trip commute at 60 MPH and it would get right back up to 30. But then..........I started DRIVING it lol. Now I am at about 26-27 MPG and not afraid to play a little and mash the gas. So yes these can get great mileage but if you drive aggressive and play a bit it can drop fast.
Concidering it's rated at 18/27.....that's awesome...especially driving it aggressively. I told my dealer on Friday that "Whoever at EPA rated the MPG on the car horribly undersold the numbers."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Concidering it's rated at 18/27.....that's awesome...especially driving it aggressively. I told my dealer on Friday that "Whoever at EPA rated the MPG on the car horribly undersold the numbers."
Under promise and over deliver....you'll never go wrong. I do drive a lot of highway miles though so I am sure that brings my average MPG up. I got the Car June 7th and I have 10,500 miles on it as of today and a lot of that is highway miles.

I'll tell you what I see that really kills the mileage is the remote start. That wreaks havoc on the mileage. I'd be at 29.3 and then remote start it while I was getting dressed and I'd get in it to leave 10 min later and it would be at 27.5! That idling kills the mileage fast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts