Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to the safety girl at my work. Turns out she has an older model WS6 TransAm. We decided it was a good idea to take our vehicles to the track once it opens to see what they will do. My RT is brand new, only mod is the 1-4 skip shift eliminator.

I thought hers was stock too. Turns out it's not. Headers, exhaust, intake and some tune work. Used to be her son's, and she claims it's pushing 420hp and running somewhere in the 12 second range. She hasn't personally raced it since taking ownership.

Both vehicles are 6-speeds, she has the Hurst. Due to weight differences, I anticipated stock vs stock would maybe give me a slight advantage assuming we both took off well and shifted right. With the extra ponies I'm hearing about I'm a little nervous. Still want to race, just don't want to get beat by a girl, lol.

Any ideas how to boost myself into the 12's for cheap and to do it fast? Will probably be going the end of this month or next month.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you want quick then this is the way to go.
ZEX Hemi Challenger Nitrous Kit

You can get the system from our CT vendors. Price is around $600-$1000 depending on if you want to have the blacked out kit, bottle heater, etc.

You should get into the 11's with traction.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
drag radials, predator tune, 180 degree t-stat, and some very quick shifting!

·
Registered
645 Posts
If she has never raced before, you may have some advantage, if she has, I guess it depends how well of drivers you both are. Slicks will help considerably. If she doesnt have slicks, she will spin badly and you will be able to launch well and take her from the line.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, since she hasnt raced it since taking ownership, possibly she wont run anywhere near where that WS6 potentially should.

Id just run your car how it sits so you can get a feel for it, hopefully you can put down some good times.

Her car could have 500 horsepower, and if she doesnt know how to race it well, then you still can win :)

Beat here at the lights and make her work for that win!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
she claims it's pushing 420hp and running somewhere in the 12 second range. QUOTE]

I doubt she is pushing that much rwhp without a cam change and head swap. I had a 99 SS (one of the 300 Hugger Orange SS cars) and it had all bolt ons plus a small cam swap. It made 375 rwhp. Also had a 125 shot on it just in case. :browsmiley:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im going to call bs on her numbers.. And jus cause she has some mods doesnt mean it still cant be a drivers race..

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want quick then this is the way to go.
ZEX Hemi Challenger Nitrous Kit

You can get the system from our CT vendors. Price is around $600-$1000 depending on if you want to have the blacked out kit, bottle heater, etc.

You should get into the 11's with traction.
Interesting. I've never been on the juice. Didn't realize you could get a setup so cheap. From what I was reading, the kit is adjustable giving me a 75hp shot with stock and going way up from there as the engine gets built out.

drag radials, predator tune, 180 degree t-stat, and some very quick shifting!
I was considering the predator and t-stat already. Any idea how much HP or time gains I can expect using them? I suspect fairly minimal, but truthfully, every little bit helps. From what I've read the predator really wakes up the auto, but I haven't heard much about the 6-speeds.

If she has never raced before, you may have some advantage, if she has, I guess it depends how well of drivers you both are. Slicks will help considerably. If she doesnt have slicks, she will spin badly and you will be able to launch well and take her from the line.
I don't get the impression she has drag radials. In fact she was talking about her new Z-rated tires she just put on. She's running an aftermarket 18" rim with some big meats. I thought those cars came with 16's so unless she has some radials on smaller rims stored in a closet somewhere that is one thing I can think will hurt her.

Of course, I am running the stock 18 RT wheels with stock Michelin rubber. Seriously doubt I will get a set of DR's unless a pair just fall into my lap before the event.

Davi☠Rotten;759364 said:
Im going to call bs on her numbers.. And jus cause she has some mods doesnt mean it still cant be a drivers race..
I am inclined to think BS too. However, I do know when she fires it up, it sounds very mean. Of course, that could just be a result of the headers and exhaust. It didn't sound like it had a big cam or anything. And for all I know, the "tuning" she talked about could be a handheld, lol. Of course, she implied a shop tweaked things and it was more.

I am definitely hoping this comes down to a drivers race, as I think I can win that part. Never saw her drive, but I know I've done well in years past.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I'd run her heads up and see where the chips fall as you said she hasn't had it at the strip, go get some seat time and practice, practice practice... if you go with the juice you should get a tune for it and make sure it's installed correctly DodgeTony used to run a 100 shot and a 125 shot on his R/T.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I was considering the predator and t-stat already. Any idea how much HP or time gains I can expect using them? I suspect fairly minimal, but truthfully, every little bit helps. From what I've read the predator really wakes up the auto, but I haven't heard much about the 6-speeds.
it seems like its 50/50 when i talk to other 6 speed guys on whether or not the canned tunes do much...however, if you get a custom tune, you will definitely feel a difference. i also threw the predator in that list because you will need it to adjust the fan settings for the cooler t-stat. you will come to notice that after sitting in traffic in your challenger, when you get on it after its fully warmed up and hot, it wont feel as snappy as when its just reaching fully operating temps. make sure you dont run against her if your engine is heat soaked!

to be honest, i would just get a good set of wider rubber for the rear if you are time strapped and need something you can just throw on and go. for my first time running my car at the track bone stock (and first time at a drag strip for me), i was only .1 or .2 tenths off a GTO with intake/exhaust and DRs and a tune. not sure how those WS6's stack up, but its probably close, although she isnt stock anymore :). the only thing that kept me from beating the guy was all the spinning i did off the line. if i could have hooked, i would have gotten him at least once.

EDIT: just saw in your post that you doubt you can get tires...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd run her heads up and see where the chips fall as you said she hasn't had it at the strip, go get some seat time and practice, practice practice... if you go with the juice you should get a tune for it and make sure it's installed correctly DodgeTony used to run a 100 shot and a 125 shot on his R/T.
How fast was his car running on juice?

·
Banned
642 Posts
Buddy has this same car in a convertible. Went to the strip with him a number of times and the best he could do was 13.7's just so you have a base line number (he is bone stock and was running his original street tires).

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
How fast was his car running on juice?
I got in the 11.6's a few times and 11.70s all the time spraying 100 horse right off the line. Dont be afraid of the ZEX system, it is really safe and easy to use.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just wanted to touch base and tell everyone thank you for the straight up advice. Because of time and budget constraints, I think I will do as many suggested and log some practice time and run her straight up. If I get spanked, well worst things could happen.

I know my RT won't be staying at stock trim forever. I just haven't decided which way to go. Stroked, blown or juiced. Or a combo of some sort. Really thinking stroked & blown if I can do it within reason and not kill the life of the engine. But all that is WAY down the road for me. Although, those are killer times with stock engines and ZEX systems.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I just wanted to touch base and tell everyone thank you for the straight up advice. Because of time and budget constraints, I think I will do as many suggested and log some practice time and run her straight up. If I get spanked, well worst things could happen.

I know my RT won't be staying at stock trim forever. I just haven't decided which way to go. Stroked, blown or juiced. Or a combo of some sort. Really thinking stroked & blown if I can do it within reason and not kill the life of the engine. But all that is WAY down the road for me. Although, those are killer times with stock engines and ZEX systems.
Safety girl, right? Just post a 70mph speed limit at the track and you'll easily win this one. :browsmiley:

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Track opens up tonight. More of the big boys will be there running. Tomorrow night is the midnight drags. I am going to try to get a few trial runs in before I call her to the track. Hopefully I will have some good news to report here soon.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
after reading this thread , two things are obvious here :
1. original poster has little or no track experience (won't matter what she has if you can't launch it )
2. the vast majority of info given here was useless or b.s.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Track opens up tonight. More of the big boys will be there running. Tomorrow night is the midnight drags. I am going to try to get a few trial runs in before I call her to the track. Hopefully I will have some good news to report here soon.
I had a 2002 WS6 bone stock and it would have eaten my stock R/T for dinner. The difference in acceleration sent me straight to magnusson.

The 2002 did have an upgraded manifold and a bit more more HP than prior year LS1 engines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts