Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

I was worried about having my wheels/tires stolen, I got the upgraded Hellcat setup on my scatpack. I was originally considering the tilt sensor and shock sensor alarms so that i'll know if the car has been jacked up or if someone has tried to break into the wheel locks.

Someone told me that stolen wheels/tires aren't as common these days and I shouldn't worry. I live in Orange County and go to LA once a week, but would like to travel more often take the car out on road trips and not worry. The alarm system will cost a bit of money and the wheel locks aren't that good looking. I stumbled upon these colored lug caps that you could customize your car with different colors. The black would look good I think on my black car. It basically makes it more of an effort to remove to steal, slight deterrent.

What do you guys do to prevent tire/wheel theft besides a firearm?

What do you guys think about lug caps in general, or these in particular?

https://www.colorlugs.com/products/lugcap-21-23mm?variant=30798701123 < these ones fits the challengers

< where I got the inspiration

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not go with a quality Gorilla locking lug nut system? Each lug nut is locking.

If they want your wheels bad enough, they will get them, but these locking lug nuts will help to deter or make the wheels a lot more difficult to steal.

The guy in the video around the 1:30 mark, he says the Gorilla locking lug nut doesn't work as well and they vibrate or something. Do you guys have that issue?

With the wheel lock you also need to carry around the key or often times leave it in the glove compartment, which gets broken into to retrieve the keys. I think with these lug covers they won't offer the same protection as the wheel looks like the Gorilla but it's a slight deterrent that is quick to install and remove with the extractor. They look more snug and less distracting. I think with the Gorilla it's a hassle to install all 20 and remove when you need to but if u only put 1 on each, it stands out a bit.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Why not go with a quality Gorilla locking lug nut system? Each lug nut is locking.

If they want your wheels bad enough, they will get them, but these locking lug nuts will help to deter or make the wheels a lot more difficult to steal.

The guy in the video around the 1:30 mark, he says the Gorilla locking lug nut doesn't work as well and they vibrate or something. Do you guys have that issue?

With the wheel lock you also need to carry around the key or often times leave it in the glove compartment, which gets broken into to retrieve the keys. I think with these lug covers they won't offer the same protection as the wheel looks like the Gorilla but it's a slight deterrent that is quick to install and remove with the extractor. They look more snug and less distracting. I think with the Gorilla it's a hassle to install all 20 and remove when you need to but if u only put 1 on each, it stands out a bit.

First of all, that is the most ridiculous video I have ever watched.
A lug nut CAP is going to deter a thief from stealing your wheels. You cannot be serious.

If you have not figured it out by now, the guy is trying to sell you those caps. It is a sales pitch full of misinformation.

As for the Gorilla lug nuts that "don't work" per his video, he is full of shit, plain and simple.

Don't believe everything the youtube channel idiots say, do your own research.

All they really want is you to subscribe to their channels to make more money and spew more misinformation.

Gorilla lug nuts are one of the top rated quality automotive lug nuts on the market for a reason.

By the way, this is also the guy telling people his summer performance Continental tires have better grip than Nitto NT555R drag radials:
315 35 20 on 10.5" reps? | SRT Hellcat Forum

"You should follow my YouTube channel and instagram. I have 315/35/20 continentals on my charger. They don't rub, they fit great and traction is a million times better. They are better in the rain and dry than any other tire I have tested included NT555R." :icon_rolleyes:

"I have been running NATO NT555R tires for over eight years on multiple vehicles. They don't grab that well.":huh:

They don't grab??? They are a drag radial that is made with high-grip compound and semi-racing construction to provide increased traction.

"Dollar for dollar, value for value for all around driving and even going to the Drag Strip I cannot recommend the NITTO tires over the continentals." :notallthere:

So this guy recommends running a summer performance tire, rather than a drag radial at the drag strip. :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
A good set of locks that are plain to see before they damage the car trying to get the wheels off. If they want them bad enough, they will take the whole car. A tilt sensor just lets you know they damaged the body hacking it up and you don’t want a confrontation as it will get ugly even if you’re armed.

·
Registered
Challenger Scat Pack
35 Posts
This is what I have on my 15 Scat. I keep the lock key under the hood in the fuse compartment wrapped up in paper so it doesn't move around. Gorilla guard locks with the spinning sleeve as previously mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
I have the Gorilla locking lugs. Every lug a lock. You hide the key in the car. Most thieves want to get in and get out, fighting 20 wheel locks is not on their schedule. Once he made his remarks about the Gorillas not fitting, I stopped watching. You get the right year, and the cone is the exact same size and shape.

A Guy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good evening,

I was worried about having my wheels/tires stolen, I got the upgraded Hellcat setup on my scatpack. I was originally considering the tilt sensor and shock sensor alarms so that i'll know if the car has been jacked up or if someone has tried to break into the wheel locks.

Someone told me that stolen wheels/tires aren't as common these days and I shouldn't worry. I live in Orange County and go to LA once a week, but would like to travel more often take the car out on road trips and not worry. The alarm system will cost a bit of money and the wheel locks aren't that good looking. I stumbled upon these colored lug caps that you could customize your car with different colors. The black would look good I think on my black car. It basically makes it more of an effort to remove to steal, slight deterrent.

What do you guys do to prevent tire/wheel theft besides a firearm?

What do you guys think about lug caps in general, or these in particular?

https://www.colorlugs.com/products/lugcap-21-23mm?variant=30798701123 < these ones fits the challengers

Color Lugs Review/Install. Protect Your Lugs, Hide Chrome, Choose Color. Charger/Challenger/Hellcat - YouTube < where I got the inspiration
SRT8outtaLA,

What everyone else has said is right on the money. I have the Gorilla system on every vehicle I own and have never had a problem with them. Just order an extra key from Gorilla and keep one in your toolbox at home and the other stashed in your car and you're good to go.

I also have to agree with Booky the video is B.S. At 2:02 he says "I am officially sponsored by Brian and I have all of their goodies here." If that isn't bias, I don't know what is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SRT8outtaLA,

What everyone else has said is right on the money. I have the Gorilla system on every vehicle I own and have never had a problem with them. Just order an extra key from Gorilla and keep one in your toolbox at home and the other stashed in your car and you're good to go.

I also have to agree with Booky the video is B.S. At 2:02 he says "I am officially sponsored by Brian and I have all of their goodies here." If that isn't bias, I don't know what is.
Thank you all for the input. If I take my car to get tires rotated and what not would it be a problem? Would I have to remove all the wheel locks first? What do you guys do? Do you just give them the key and they have no issue with removing it with that and rotating the tires?

The ones you have on look nice. I'm not sure what size is the correct one for me. I want to make sure I get the right one. Are these the best fit or the right ones for a black wheel lock?

https://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/gor-96643bdx.htm

I have the scat pack with the upgraded package they are the same as the 2017 hellcat.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thank you all for the input. If I take my car to get tires rotated and what not would it be a problem? Would I have to remove all the wheel locks first? What do you guys do? Do you just give them the key and they have no issue with removing it with that and rotating the tires?

The ones you have on look nice. I'm not sure what size is the correct one for me. I want to make sure I get the right one. Are these the best fit or the right ones for a black wheel lock?

https://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/gor-96643bdx.htm

I have the scat pack with the upgraded package they are the same as the 2017 hellcat.

This should Not be a problem at all. Just let them know you have wheel locks and give the tire tech the "key" and they take care of the rest.
The tire shop should be used to seeing and dealing with wheel locks almost on a daily basis. If they are not, you are at the wrong tire shop and you should look for a different one.

As for the correct lug nuts, give Speedlogix a call (888-773-5649), tell them what kind of wheels you are running and they will tell you exactly what you need. Their customer service is excellent.

Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gorilla all the way

I have the Gorilla locking lugs. Every lug a lock. You hide the key in the car. Most thieves want to get in and get out, fighting 20 wheel locks is not on their schedule. Once he made his remarks about the Gorillas not fitting, I stopped watching. You get the right year, and the cone is the exact same size and shape.

A Guy
What he said! I bought these for my '16 Challenger SRT with stock wheels. Love them! Wouldn't use anything else. And they look better with my wheels than the factory chrome lug nuts. The set comes with 20 lug nuts and I used all of them. When I heard that thieves can break one lug off by removing the four non-locking lug nuts, jack up the car, put a brick (or whatever is nearby) under the wheel and drop the car and snap the one lug with the locking lug nut on it, I was sold with the 5 locking lug nuts per wheel. If they want my wheels they will have to work for it!!:armed:Gorilla Wheel Locks 96643BDX

I paid $113.97 with free shipping from Summit Racing.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
I swear when I bought mine 1 1/2 ago, they were $60!

A Guy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Gorilla makes a couple of different locking lug nuts depending on what type of factory wheel you have. One is around $60.00 the other over $100.00. Best way to describe them is that one has a much larger conical seat. That larger one (96643BDX) is more expensive and of course is what I needed for my 2018 T/A 392. I attached some pics so you can see the difference.

Check your factory lug nuts and see if they have a large conical seat. I would bet you need the larger more expensive one. They fit my T/A perfect and I love the black over the factory chrome/stainless. Can they be defeated - sure but it will take longer, have to make more noise so hopefully they leave my car alone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gorilla makes a couple of different locking lug nuts depending on what type of factory wheel you have. One is around $60.00 the other over $100.00. Best way to describe them is that one has a much larger conical seat. That larger one (96643BDX) is more expensive and of course is what I needed for my 2018 T/A 392. I attached some pics so you can see the difference.

Check your factory lug nuts and see if they have a large conical seat. I would bet you need the larger more expensive one. They fit my T/A perfect and I love the black over the factory chrome/stainless. Can they be defeated - sure but it will take longer, have to make more noise so hopefully they leave my car alone.
I called Speedlogix and they recommended the same one for the Hellcat-styled set up I have on my upgraded Scat Pack. He says it's between gloss and flat. I hope it matches well. Can you have too much black on a blacked out car?

Gorilla OEM Black Locking Set 2005-2018 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum

·
Registered
31 Posts
The wheels look real good with the black lug nuts. The factory are the same ones that are on my 2016 Ram truck. Dodge puts them on to save money - not for looks. They stood out before now they disappear and I think it is perfect. If I get a chance I will post a pic later.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
The chrome lugs add a contrast some may like, but I think black wheels look better with black lugs. Actually black lugs look good with Chrome and aluminum wheels too ;)

DSCN4491a.jpg

A Guy

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Black Valve Caps?

Here are my wheels with the Gorilla Locks. Pics aren't the best - was starting to get dark but you will get threw idea.
that looks pretty good! I notice you also have black valve caps for your tires. Is that OEM or did you buy them? I have like grey colored ones. Do you have the link for where you got it? I hear you need to use plastic ones because the other materials might cause corrosion, get stuck, or something like that. Don't know if that's true

1 - 20 of 29 Posts