Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a way I can change the title of this thread to 'PRICE ADVICE'?

Hi everyone, I introduced myself a few days back. I may have mentioned at that time that I am selling my 2002 Corvette Z06. I was going to buy a Mustang GT because of its power for the dollar, however, I find myself drawn to the Challenger. I've driven a Challenger RT and SRT8. I like them both very much especially the ride and the comfort. I must admit though I was very impressed with the power of the 392. I'm trying to figure out which would give me the best bang for the buck, either an RT or a 392 with low mileage. I guess I'm wondering if I can live without the benefits of the 392 in the long run. Coming from a Z06 I'm sure you understand I'm used to a lot of power and great sound. I also mentioned in another post about the used 392 I drove that I thought was extremely loud for a stock vehicle. The dealer swears that it was stock but I do not believe him, partly from what I learned on this forum. How much different is the sound of a stock 392 compared to a 5.7? How about every day driving? I did notice a big difference between the mustang and the 5.7 as far as power is concerned. Both of course, sound good.
Hope I don't come across as overly confused! I appreciate all the advice I have already gotten from this forum. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you could do a full SRT (not just a core) go for that. You'll have no regrets. With the 392 Core you're giving up on a lot of the creature comforts.

If you don't like loud cars then a stock 5.7 should be great. But that's why I have a resonator delete kit.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I have the same vehicle as AwesomeBobX64. Although minus the performance exhaust and its an automatic. I'm 55 with back issues and shifting is out. I have put the diablo 91 Octane canned tune in her and I enjoy the power available tremendously. I could have bought the SRT as I payed cash for my R/T, so money was not an issue. I believe you would be happy with and R/T, but either way, as mentioned in the previous post by Awesome Bob, get the creature comforts. I have made some upgrade to my suspension and chassis. Both tower braces and upgraded end links to the sway bars. These items have increased the cornering capabilities of the car considerably. Not like a lowering kit, yet still better than stock. The SRT would still out handle me, through power and its upgraded suspension, yet I am comfortable with what I have. You will find that the Mustang is more of a track car, but the room and the comforts of the Challenger are much greater. Your Corvette I am sure has been an awesome car for you, but as I am sure you have found out already, interior wise you will be going from an F-16 fighter ****pit to and Boeing 747 ****pit. I am 6ft 5in and I have always, up to my Challenger, been a Chevy man, but getting in and out of a Vette was a challenge. A corvette was always in my selection process, yet my previous was a 99 Z-28 of which I spent numerous dollars in hop ups. It was a rocket with a lot of suspension upgrade so it would not only move in the quarter (mid 12's) but would corner quite nicely. Enough of that. Which ever you chose, R/T or SRT, I am sure you will be quite satisfied. Either one will move very well for you, but believe me when I say, you will miss you Vette. Good shopping and choose slowly and smartly. Make sure you get what you want and will have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
My 392 stock was not loud at all. The system most likely was altered or replaced.An R/T is a great car but choosing between that and a 392 depends on needs and your finances. Whatever you choose don't bury yourself in debt for a car. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great advice from all, thanks! To elaborate, I want the 6spd manual, that Tremec trans. Is very nice to shift! Regarding noise, I want that American rumble, but the SRT8 I drove had drone at all speeds and even at steady highway speeds. The RT I drove had a great, deep sound but was a tad quiet. (Not enough to turn me away from the car). Seems that the low mileage used market might be a viable alternative for either car. I also read a thread that discussed the advantages/disadvantages of the 6.1 hemi. There are low mileage examples of them out there as well. I'd love more input on that as well. Please understand that I have no intentions of parting with this car for a long time, since the ability to drive me grand kids around is an important one, as well as my wife's comfort.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. After 2 cruise nites, and talking to a few Challenger and Charger owners, and listening to their cars, I'm sure I 'want' the 392, but since I have a budget ($40K)I need to make some comparisons.
Given the likelihood that there are low mileage used versions for each model, what would be the better choice, a 6.1 SRT, a 392, or perhaps a new '14 RT(there's $3000 in rebates)? Since I'm keeping the car for a long time, I want it to be right. Has the SRT8 evolved since it came out so that a newer 392 just has more enhancements? I prefer newer cars for many reasons. Would it be better to get a brand new RT because it will be a better buy? Problem is, as a Z06 owner, I'm spoiled by having the most powerful engine offered in that model. I finally joined the car hobby after observing for 50 years, and I 'want' to know I've got the baddest engine I can get for that model. (sorry, not enough $$ to wait for a Hellcat!)
;)
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
The exhausts in an auto sound completely different in a manual car even with the same aftermarket systems.
On the highway in 6th gear my Magnaflow cat back can be very quiet just cruising along until you step on it.
We are all different in perceiving sound and what annoys me may not even bother you or your Mrs.
In your location I see it says Morristown and am assuming that's Morristown NJ? Which cruise nights do you frequent?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Z is no shrinking violet, which confirms my findings so far about the one SRT8 I drove. Every Challenger/Charger I've heard in person except that one sounded fine. Funny, I also happen to like Magnaflows the best.
I go to the Galloping Hill Cruise in Kenilworth Mondays, Roxbury on Tuesday, Cops N Rodders occasional Thursdays, Boonton on Friday, and Cars 'N Croissants on alternating weekends. I'd love to see your car.

·
Registered
382 Posts
why not wait and build a new Scat Pack to the exact specifications you want. it come with a 392 and you can add leather and whatever else you want.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I happen to like magnaflow mufflers myself. I do understand that sound is a subjective topic. However after hearing a number of challengers since I drove that first loud one, I am sure that most 392 are not offensively loud.
The cruise nights I go to our galloping Hill in Kenilworth, Roxbury Tuesday nights Wednesday when Wendy's on route 46 in Denville. I occasionally go to the cops and rodders cruise night on Thursdays near Lowe's in Hackettstown and I regularly go to cars and croissants which is based out of Chatham on alternating weekends.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure any new 392 will be too much for my budget, which is why I'm looking at low mileage used. Do the rebates apply to 392's?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Needing some encouragement here guys. Just had a white 2012 SRT8 with 1300 miles slip thru my fingers. It was listed at $36995. I'm seeing some 2010's for decent prices and low miles, but my question again is what am I giving up going from a 2010 to a 2011-12 as far as the engine and interior details with cars of close to identical mileage?
I only want a manual trans.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Needing some encouragement here guys. Just had a white 2012 SRT8 with 1300 miles slip thru my fingers. It was listed at $36995. I'm seeing some 2010's for decent prices and low miles, but my question again is what am I giving up going from a 2010 to a 2011-12 as far as the engine and interior details with cars of close to identical mileage?

2011 was when the 392 was introduced. Much more power over the 6.1. The only downside is if you get the automatic it will have the MDS.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nearly every model year the improvements (cosmetic or engine/suspension) get better and better. The SRT is an unbelievable machine. Go for the latest model SRT you can, you will NOT regret it. I've got a 14' and every time I drive it I get people pulling up to me complimenting the look and character of my car! Phantom Black, 6 spd., roof, 50% tinted glass and vapor wheels. She's a BEAUTY!! Good Luck

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going to look at a well equipped dark gray/silver stripe 2012 tomorrow with 2500 miles. They are asking 38,990. How does that price seem? How much room do they usually bargain? It's not a Dodge dealer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Search Auto Trader, KBB and Cars.com with the cars options and you'll get a base to go off of. Not knowing the details I would guess that 37 or 37,500 would be close (imo). If you go the last day of the month you have a better advantage to get the best price. All new cars dealerships need to meet a certain number of sales to meet their monthly goal. Not sure on the used end however they all look at the end of month numbers. Keep us informed on how it goes...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts