Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's with these prices? I thought the US dollar and the Canadian dollar were getting pretty close. Do you guys in Canada really have to fork out this much cash to buy a car, or are your salaries comparable to the prices that are charged so your auto expenses are pretty much in line percentage wise with us below the Mason-Dixon line?

Sherwood Park Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ltd.*located in*Sherwood Park,*Alberta,*Canada

What really got me looking, I was looking for a dealer to look at window stickers to see if the SE has a 25G or 26G package. However, the above website is completely non-standard to American dealer websites.

But to have 19 Challengers in inventory, wow, what eye candy if you live in that town.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the Canadian dollar is worth more, then it should buy more and the price of the car should be cheaper, right? Sorry, the summer I took Economics, I spent too many nights in a tavern and class was at 7:30 a.m. No, Accounting was at 7:30, Economics was at 8:30. Doesn't matter, got a D in both.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Its a joke, trust me. I live here, was looking at a Torred SRT at this dealership. Yes, those prices are real, no typo. The cars are made in Canada to boot! Sure am glad the Free Trade Agreement is working well for the US....

Yes, the Canadian dollar is ABOVE the US dollar, and we still pay 10-20K more for an SRT than Americans do. I think our wages are slightly higher on average, but not that much. Average Canadian annual wage is 37,700, I think US is similar. My wife and I were just talking a couple hours ago about how expensive Canada is to live (taxes, cost of living) compared to friends of ours in Australia, US and Europe. You guys. in the US get all your gas and oil from Fort Macmurray, we produce it, and yet, your gas is stlll way cheaper than ours here!

I was looking at buying a car in the US to save the money, but we lose the whole warranty when we import it to Canada, you can't win. I see SRT's in the US for way less than I can buy a stripper RT here! Its whack.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The price difference in all good in CA are found in the taxes. Your fuel taxes are much higher than ours, even though ours are way too high.

Shame really but that is what they call voting with your suitcase. If you don't like it, I suppose you can move. Although, give us a little while, our slackers in Washington will be happy to bring us up to your pricing levels.

·
Registered
526 Posts
This is a subject that can get bounced around like a beach ball
and the end result will be no winner or loser
As a Canuck myself living in the GTA one thing you have to consider with with Canada are population to date is 36-37 million the US just plain huge,because of that reason alone a lot more tax rev can be collected,in order for us to enjoy the social services we have namely health care the money has to come from somewhere,its a ***** but it is what it is..I for one dont want a price tag put on my health
The best way to save money on a new car is have a good trade in and you"ll pay the tax on the net difference or a good down payment :bigthumb: The other method is to buy used and you will save HUUUGE! even with 13 thousand km its still A HUGE! SAVINGS over new
Love tripping to the USA but Canadas my home and always will be.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yup it is hard to swallow when you see the price gap on the same item when you compare in both countries. But like previous posters have said , someone has to pay for universal healthcare .Light up a smoke, grab a beer and thank god when your sick its all paid for

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yes the prices are higher. I do think that an average of 36k a year is a little low though.

That dealership is the dealership I bought mine from. The prices in Alberta are a little higher, but there is a hidden provincial sales tax. Other provinces pay 5% GST, and 5% provincial sales tax as well. The prices at the Sherwood Park Dealership already have the provincial 5% in the price.

Also Alberta is the oil capital of Canada. If your in constuction as a skilled ticketed tradesmen, you'll generally make 80/90k working 40 hrs a week and closer to 140k with more overtime.

Basically if you price a car on Dodge Canada, you can add about 7k for taxes and all the other stuff over MSRP when all said and done.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yup it is hard to swallow when you see the price gap on the same item when you compare in both countries. But like previous posters have said , someone has to pay for universal healthcare .Light up a smoke, grab a beer and thank god when your sick its all paid for
Give it time,...our health care system has been declining little by little ,...year after year.The bastards at the big house in Ottawa will make sure they sell off the majoraty to the private sector,...and when they do,we'll all be on the same playing field as the USA in terms of their current health care system,...which however may take a turn for the better,...lets hope it does.

Oh sure,...if you break a leg,finger,cut off a toe,get in an accident or need stiches you'll be taken care of,...after sitting in emergency for 6 to 8 hours,...on a good day!

However,get real sick with a life threatening illness and it's a whole different story,...and I'm speaking from experience.You will wait until it's almost too late,...or too late before you get proper treatment.I was lucky as I refused to sit around and fall victim to a faltering medical system so I drove to Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit,Michigan where the top notch medical staff saved my ass.

On the other hand a very dear friend of mine elected to stay in London,Ontario and wait for his turn to have treatment for his illness.

We buried him 11 months ago.

Unfortuneately these stories are told all to often now in this country,...a bloody shame.

Make no mistake,we have a two tier system here in Canada,...one for the wealthy and one for the rest of us.Just think of what's in store for our children if things do not turn around soon.

If we in Canada want to keep justice and freedom as we have known it in the past we had better get off our duffs and demand it from our leaders,...as others around the world are currently doing,...but with as little violence as possible,...to start off with.

Like John Cougar says,..."You gotta stand for something,...or you'll fall for anything".

Ok,...this rant is over,...back too the regular scheduled forum discussions.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Give it time,...our health care system has been declining little by little ,...year after year.The bastards at the big house in Ottawa will make sure they sell off the majoraty to the private sector,...and when they do,we'll all be on the same playing field as the USA in terms of their current health care system,...which however may take a turn for the better,...lets hope it does.

Oh sure,...if you break a leg,finger,cut off a toe,get in an accident or need stiches you'll be taken care of,...after sitting in emergency for 6 to 8 hours,...on a good day!

However,get real sick with a life threatening illness and it's a whole different story,...and I'm speaking from experience.You will wait until it's almost too late,...or too late before you get proper treatment.I was lucky as I refused to sit around and fall victim to a faltering medical system so I drove to Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit,Michigan where the top notch medical staff saved my ass.

On the other hand a very dear friend of mine elected to stay in London,Ontario and wait for his turn to have treatment for his illness.

We buried him 11 months ago.

Unfortuneately these stories are told all to often now in this country,...a bloody shame.

Make no mistake,we have a two tier system here in Canada,...one for the wealthy and one for the rest of us.Just think of what's in store for our children if things do not turn around soon.

If we in Canada want to keep justice and freedom as we have known it in the past we had better get off our duffs and demand it from our leaders,...as others around the world are currently doing,...but with as little violence as possible,...to start off with.

Like John Cougar says,..."You gotta stand for something,...or you'll fall for anything".

Ok,...this rant is over,...back too the regular scheduled forum discussions.
The ole adage of "you get what you pay for doesnt apply in Canada anymore thanks to the fat cats in Ottawa and the abuse of the health care system by a segment of the population is just nuts..its that word "free"its not free.
Having several relatives that live in the US in their experience you better have a good paying job that has health care coverage otherwhise should the shite hit the fan you are royally screwed..not to many cdns I know of that had to put a second mortage on their house to cover health cost
Okay thats my 2 cents,great to hear your O.K R/TPony

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yes the prices are higher. I do think that an average of 36k a year is a little low though.

That dealership is the dealership I bought mine from. The prices in Alberta are a little higher, but there is a hidden provincial sales tax. Other provinces pay 5% GST, and 5% provincial sales tax as well. The prices at the Sherwood Park Dealership already have the provincial 5% in the price.

Also Alberta is the oil capital of Canada. If your in constuction as a skilled ticketed tradesmen, you'll generally make 80/90k working 40 hrs a week and closer to 140k with more overtime.

Basically if you price a car on Dodge Canada, you can add about 7k for taxes and all the other stuff over MSRP when all said and done.
37,700 a year was a number recently released in the news. Not everyone is a ticketed tradesman.

So tell me about this 'hidden' prov sales tax. Just moved here from BC, haven't paid PST yet. Trust me, prices are not higher here.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Won't see PST in Alberta. As you've seen, just GST. The PST is in the price already. I'm not even sure what % it might be? There is also no harmonizing tax either.

I agree, with BC having high prices. Just saying that there is a lot more income for toys in Alberta than almost any other province in Canada due to the oil money and construction.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Night and day the amount of extra money people in AB have compared to BC. I work in the construction industry and am amazed at what some people make here, especially some of the husband/wife teams working here from out of province. The toys here amaze me. I'm not a materialistic person and find better uses for my money, but yes, money is flowing here.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Night and day the amount of extra money people in AB have compared to BC. I work in the construction industry and am amazed at what some people make here, especially some of the husband/wife teams working here from out of province. The toys here amaze me. I'm not a materialistic person and find better uses for my money, but yes, money is flowing here.
Myself I work in the costruction trades in Ontario Alberta as always go through a "boom and bust" time,then when the economy in Alberta goes in the "Crapper"which it will mark my words.the husband and wife teams you speak of will be on the plane back to Newfoundland to collect their U.I
The only reason trades leave Ontario so journeyman who are single can crank out the hours get their papers and header back to Ontario
This is nothing new been this way since day#1
If you think Alberta consrustion trades are big it pales to the GTA
Its the single biggest employer of people in Canada:thumbsup:

·
Registered
891 Posts
I don't disagree with you, but we have several people in our office from Ontario and they all say there is no work in Ontario, too much competition, too many people?!?

Alberta is not in a boom just yet, that's coming. Ft Mac is poised for another big boom, there is LOTS coming up there. They are building a highway east of Ft. Mac into northern Sask, stuff happening...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't disagree with you, but we have several people in our office from Ontario and they all say there is no work in Ontario, too much competition, too many people?!?

Alberta is not in a boom just yet, that's coming. Ft Mac is poised for another big boom, there is LOTS coming up there. They are building a highway east of Ft. Mac into northern Sask, stuff happening...
Theres work in the golden horseshoe BUT everybody wants the same job and the same pay 3/4 of the pop of Canada live in the horseshoe if that goes for a crap the rest of Canada follows maybe not right away but in time it will..I can show you pictures of RES com develpement in Milton Brampton, Vaughn,and around the GTA bubble that will make your jaw drop..people are taking pictures of Huttonville just outside of Brampton because in 2 years time it will be completely different.
A lot of western cdns love and take pride in bitching about Toronto and the Golden Horseshoe,but I hate to burst their bubble but the horseshoe IMO it is the finacial backbone of this country..the big concern of Alberta should be its Premier what a banana republic this guy is leading..his approach is like the Ontario govt telling the big 3 to shutter down boys we have new regulations..take care

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hmm... Not to sure about that. Sure the GTA has a lot of people but it is a manufacturing center. Alberta has the natural resources. They can move manufacturing jobs to Mexico with NAFTA and China.......little harder to put oil there.

People in Alberta really have nothing bad to say about Ontario. We know they're there, but they really don't concern us. Lol

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hmm... Not to sure about that. Sure the GTA has a lot of people but it is a manufacturing center. Alberta has the natural resources. They can move manufacturing jobs to Mexico with NAFTA and China.......little harder to put oil there.

People in Alberta really have nothing bad to say about Ontario. We know they're there, but they really don't concern us. Lol
Over the years I have worked in Ontario from tool & die/mould making and at the Chrysler plant in Windsor to Kenora at the MNR Forestry,Forest Fire Fighting departments and also at Hydro One electrical utility.

I have also worked in Edmonton,Alberta at the International Airport and in the oil industry back in my younger days.

What I have noticed in each province is that in Ontario when things start to go down the crapper they really go down the crapper for an extended period of time and the recovery time is much slower,...especially with this current economic downturn.The tool & die/mould making industry is almost at a standstill due to the current state of the automotive industry,...and will become worse due to the parts shortage and Japans unfortunate situation,(I feel sorry for those new Challenger owners who may have to wait for months to receive their orders).Most of the economy in southern Ontario relies on this industry and the spin off businesses are being crippled with good paying jobs going by the wayside leaving mostly Walmart type paying jobs for people to get by on.

In northern Ontario it's the mining,logging and paper mill industries that people rely on and in some fortunate locals tourism.What I have witnessed here is the paper mills closing at an alarming rate due to a shortage of merchantable wood which in turn affects the logging industry.Also,given the current economic situation in the USA and their dollar being worth less than ours tourism to the north by Americans has taken a big hit.Examples of this would be the paper mill being closed and completely dismantled in Kenora which once employed 2000 workers in a town of 10,000 with high paying jobs.The loggers and pulp wood truck drivers were also put out of work.

I know many people who were affected by these situations and many have sold their homes and taken thier families to Alberta where work is plentiful and most tell me they are making more money than their previous sources of income.These individuals range from the automotive and toll & die workers in the south to the people who worked the paper mills and logging industries in the north of Ontario.The people I know who own Fishing/Hunting lodges are not so fortunate as being able to pick up and move,...the ones who are surviving are those with no mortgage to further burden them.

History has shown many times in the last 30 years that Alberta can bounce back much quicker from recessions due to their abundance of natural resources.It will always be that way in such a rich province.They also manage their renewable natural resources much better in comparison to Ontario where I have witnessed such a disregard for good foresrty management by goverments and pulp/paper industries that it has forced the closure of many mills across the north due to a lack of usable wood because of such poor or non-existent reforestation practices for the last 40-50 years(it takes on average 60 years for a tree in the north to grow to a usable size for pulp wood).

Having said all that my money is on Alberta for finacial stability across the board.Canada just needs to start creating more Canadian made based industries.As it stands now American owned industries in Canada highly out number Canadian made/owned industries in Canada.When things get tough in America those owners just close shop in Canada and take care of their own back home,...and who can blame them.

We have an incredible amount of resources here in Canada and if our leaders would get their heads out of their asses we could start mangaging and utilizing those resources which in turn would make us more self sufficient,...and that would give future generations of Canadians something good to look forward to.

Also,convincing Canadian and American politicians and big business to stop sending work overseas would obviously makes matters much better,...as we all know,...easier said then done.They are putting their own people in the poor house.

Yeah,..so anyways,...I'm with you on this one.

PS-contrary to popular belief,...Toronto,GTA and the 'Golden Horseshoe' ,(aka.,the 'Smog Capital of Canada'),are not the 'Centre of the Universe'.You haven't seen the real Canada until you've spent time north of Toronto and to the east and west.

·
Registered
526 Posts
While I agree with you R/T pony ,when I go out to the B.C interior for some snow boarding and spend my hard earned money it rubs me raw when birkenstock wearing,left-over hippie granola crunchers slag southern ontario/yet they"ve never been here and its not tongue and cheek humour they are dead serious.
Call it a little Ontario pride I guess,I dont go out their and put down BC or western Canada
Alberta is in for one rude awakeing should their premier and its banana republic get their way and IMO our premier has to go :scratchhead:
While watching the news smart biz in the trades with the high dollar is buying new equipment from the US that other times couldnt afford
so its not all doom and gloom in Ontario

·
Registered
891 Posts
I see Alberta and Ontario as both very important. A few years ago, at 41, I went back to school (Engineering). I was in BC at the time and I knew I would have to eventually move to either AB or Ont. Those are the 2 provinces that spend the most on infrastructure, and have the money/population to do so. Its not a matter of provincial 'pride', its just reality. I know most British Columbians have ridiculous pride, seen it, lived it, repented of it...but to make some serious coin and/or further ones trade/career, you have to go where the money is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts