Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2016 Challenger with 50K+ miles. I was shocked my jaw dropped when he told me the total.

About 5x what I was used to paying.

Did I get ripped off?

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
How much did they want?

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,527 Posts
Maybe you could consider buying an OBD II scanner that has the ability to assist in the bleeding of the ABS module? Around $180 and up price tag, but then you'll own a quality scanner and not just pay someone else to do it. I know that not everyone is able or willing to do it on their own, but if you are it might be a good idea.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much did they want?
You mean how much did I pay? They never told me the price up front. I was used to around $50 for a flush. I figured this one might be a little more. They charged me $267.

Maybe you could consider buying an OBD II scanner that has the ability to assist in the bleeding of the ABS module? Around $180 and up price tag, but then you'll own a quality scanner and not just pay someone else to do it. I know that not everyone is able or willing to do it on their own, but if you are it might be a good idea.
Thanks. I did not know / do not know what is required for flushing the brakes. The labor they charged me was $200+ and $50 for fluids, then the other fees.

·
Super Moderator
15,780 Posts
that's high - I've paid ~ $115 - $125 over the years

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,326 Posts
They never told me the price up front. I was used to around $50 for a flush. I figured this one might be a little more. They charged me $267.
Not to toss any additional salt in your wound(s).....but that is strictly on you. You should have asked for an estimate prior to commencement of the work.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
436 Posts
I bought a used 2016 Challenger with 50K+ miles. I was shocked my jaw dropped when he told me the total.

About 5x what I was used to paying.

Did I get ripped off?
You have to ask?
I never take my cars to the dealer except for a recall or warranty work.

Dealers are incompetent. Find a reliable shop, not to save money rather to get quality work.
And save money

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
272 Posts
You mean how much did I pay? They never told me the price up front. I was used to around $50 for a flush. I figured this one might be a little more. They charged me $267.
I Paid $147 for a brake fluid flush for my 2009 Challenger at my Dodge dealer.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to toss any additional salt in your wound(s).....but that is strictly on you. You should have asked for an estimate prior to commencement of the work.
You are right but I had NO IDEA it would be so unreasonable.

I never take my cars to the dealer except for a recall or warranty work.
This was a used car so in addition to the brake flush I asked them to check for warranty work or recalls. I have less than 7K miles left on the power train warranty. I figured if I'm at the dealer, what the heck get this done.

·
Registered
988 Posts
We charge about $135 parts and labor. I just wouldn’t trust the dealer to do the right thing. I’ve seen some techs just suck the fluid out and refill it. Fluid exchange instead of a flush. We have a machine that hooks to all 4 calipers and pulls the fluid through.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
We charge about $135 parts and labor. I just wouldn’t trust the dealer to do the right thing. I’ve seen some techs just suck the fluid out and refill it. Fluid exchange instead of a flush. We have a machine that hooks to all 4 calipers and pulls the fluid through.
Watched Porsche techs do a brake fluid flush/bleed. They start out removing fluid from the reservoir and adding fresh fluid. But then they proceed to go around the car and bleed each caliper. The removing old fluid and topping up with fresh speeds up the bleed process.

The techs connected a pressure bleeder to the reservoir. This made the bleed process pretty quick. Pretty much the tech just went from wheel to wheel and could make a lap around the car in nearly no time. 'course, he already had the wheels/tires off the car.

For cars equipped with a manual transmission the bleed process also involved the clutch hydraulic system which shared fluid with the brake system.

Never saw anything connected to the caliper bleed screws except a catch "can', a clear plastic bottle, to catch the old fluid as it came from the bleeder valve. The fluid that came out of the calipers was nasty looking fluid.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
I had a brake system flush done a few months ago at the dealership. $189 was what I paid.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,872 Posts

Thanks. I did not know / do not know what is required for flushing the brakes. The labor they charged me was $200+ and $50 for fluids, then the other fees.
When contemplating paying someone to do something to your car, keep this in mind: the average independent automotive shop will charge around $100 an hour for labor, and the service department at a dealership will be closer to $125+ an hour for labor.

That is just labor; the parts, fluids, etc. used or installed during the service will be on top of the labor bill.

With that in mind, you can see how $50 for anything nowadays is not a realistic expectation. The parts alone for your brake fluid service might have been $50, but factor in the labor to do it, and you’re well past $100 and closer to $200 actually.

And I just re-read your last paragraph, so yeah, my estimates are pretty close.

A lot more than the good ole days? Sure.

Too much? Maybe.

Gonna get more expensive in the future? You betcha.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
505 Posts
You mean how much did I pay? They never told me the price up front.
I would never have any work done where I didn't know the price.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They had a "BG Power Flush" machine. I heard it running. It was like a pumping sound.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I use Motul 5.1 and replace every spring. I’ll buy the fluid myself then take it to Brakes Plus. They do the flush and fill in less than a half hour for $45

1 - 19 of 19 Posts