Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to change my spark plugs and I was at a car show the other day and a guy told me be careful when I change the spark plugs because it's easy to break them off in the heads. He said because of the spark plugs being long they get carbon on the threads and bind up. I have searched the internet about this problem and haven't found anything about this. Was wondering if anybody on here has heard of this problem?

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Haven't had to change mine yet, but I have heard they are a pain....and there's so darn many of em.... :p

But in my years at Chrysler dealerships, I've never heard of this as an issue...

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told to.loosen spark pligs 1/8 turn, put everything back together and start engine and rev it once then take spark plugs out. Does that sound right to any of y'all?

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
I was told to.loosen spark pligs 1/8 turn, put everything back together and start engine and rev it once then take spark plugs out. Does that sound right to any of y'all?
No it doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
15,099 Posts
Yeah the guy said the 5.7 hemi has the same problem as the Ford trucks.
No - that's an issue with the Triton V8 / V10 engines from Ford.

The main thing is changing plugs when heads are cool - this is critical with aluminum heads.

The Ford engines have those two-piece spark plugs that are really long plugs - the ends protruding into the chamber carbon up, and they'll bind in the spark plug hole during removal...the early engines had issues with not enough threads in the heads and the plugs would blow out.

Here's what these plugs look like: (and an example of broken plug during removal).

·
Registered
627 Posts
What? In all my years of amateur wrenching, I thought you want the engine to be cold, so as to not strip out the threads in the head? This thread comes to mind:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/question-about-spark-plugs-97266/

Thank you for that. I cant believe all this time I have been doing it opposite. I was given some bad info at an early age and been doing wrong since :smiley35:. Luckily I've never had an issue. I guess sometimes posting wrong info can lead to something good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts