Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this as a separate thread in the hopes of acquiring data regarding a specific problem. If you have a 392 with the 430N radio and option group II, I'd appreciate your feedback.

My 392 arrived a few weeks ago and I'm very impressed with every aspect of the car except:

Please try the following... Open driver's or passenger door and sit in car (no need to do anything with the START button)... KEEP THE DOOR OPEN... wait for approximately 2 minutes and see if you start to hear popping sounds coming from all speakers at 8 second intervals... once you close the door it stops... (I'm not sure if this is related, but I also hear what sounds like the CD drive accepting/ejecting a CD, but the screen is closed.) This is all with the car off and door open.

I took the car in to the Dodge dealership and they heard the popping. They contaced Dodge and were told to check other 392's that they have on the lot. There was only one other 392 IE on the lot. They checked it and it had the same problem. As of today there is not a fix and I was told that Dodge would need to gather some data on this problem. My case is remaining OPEN. I thought that mentioning it on this forum would be an excellent method to determine if this is an isolated problem or more widespread.

I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine started popping waaaay before 2 mins and seems to be a random interval between 3-6 seconds really low popping sound.

I'll mention THAT to my dealer tomorrow too. Grrrrr.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine does it too. I had the doors and trunk open and it happens about every 10 secs. I could hear it coming out of the speaker on the dash on the passengers side and also heard it coming out of the sub. It could be coming out all the speakers.....didn't check. It sounds just like a speaker you turn off and it thuds out.
Reminds me of old Dodge and Chrysler cars 1970 and older. You could put the emergency signals on, turn on the blinkers (R or L), push on the brake and the radio would come on without the key in.
Wow...dodge is going retro all the way!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the problem also..I really think the radio in this car is the bigest piece of crap i have ever had in a car Dodge should be ashamed of themselves..

I am calling them everyday to get upgraded to the 730 head unit at least... The crap amps they use I can rip out later I just want the 430N GONE !!!!

Asab....................:fight:

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I tried but could not create the issue. I have the 430 unit without nav.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Exactly the same problem with mine. With just the trunk open same thing happens, sounds like it is coming from sub. I have number 53 SRT8 IE. 630 miles ..had it from day 1.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
This problem has been getting reported since I bought my '06 Charger SRT8 with the Option Group II.

If go to any of the other LX-based car boards, do a search for "trunk monkeys" or "popping" and you will see...

My last SRT8 was a Challenger without the option group II: no "popping". My new Challenger SRT8 and my Charger SRT8 had the option group II: they "popped" ---> "trunk monkeys!!!!".

Some people have said that the issue is related to the "keyless-go" recognition system. Others have said something about the sub amp.
So far, I haven't seen any one fix this.

Here's hoping! :icon_cheers:...

·
Registered
531 Posts
It happens with the 392IE at my local dealer. It has the 730 radio. I was there last week looking at it. The salesman used the remote to open the door so I could sit in it and then left. My wife and I noticed it almost immediately. Seems to do it even with the doors closed. I mentioned it, but they had no idea what I was talking about. I assume it stops after awhile. I guess it's like the refrigerator light...you can never be sure...I am buying a different car, but I guess I can assume it will have it too.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
It happens with the 392IE at my local dealer. It has the 730 radio. I was there last week looking at it. The salesman used the remote to open the door so I could sit in it and then left. My wife and I noticed it almost immediately. Seems to do it even with the doors closed. I mentioned it, but they had no idea what I was talking about. I assume it stops after awhile. I guess it's like the refrigerator light...you can never be sure...I am buying a different car, but I guess I can assume it will have it too.
I will let you know tomorrow...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ha! No worries Lee...I think it's just part of the car so far. One guy posted elsewhere that every SRT he ever owned with a subwoofer has had the problem, charger, challenger, trucks and jeeps...hopefully they will figure it our one day.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem continues... Turn off car... wait 2 minutes and the popping from all speakers (including sub) begins at 5 second intervals... This will continue for at least an hour, if not more...

I contacted Chrysler customer assistance and received a prompt reply. They gave me a case # and I was told to take it to the dealer today (2nd time). I did this and spoke to the tech. I shared that as I was trying to troubleshoot the problem while the car was turned off. I pulled back on the driver's door window switches as if attempting to open and close the window 2X. The popping stopped. Then if I closed and opened the door the popping began. The tech said that he's received numerous messages from Chrysler regarding this problem. He said that their team is aware of the problem and is working on a fix. He had received several pages of discussion regarding this problem. It may involve shielding an electrical harness or may involve placing a diode in one of the modules. He said there are numerous modules that go into the sleep mode when you shutdown the car. They each go to sleep at different times. He said that moving the window open/close switch awakens the modules and therefore the popping stops. I was told to be patient as Chrysler comes up with fix and a bulletin. He said he doesn't think it will drain the battery.... He believes that it is merely energy that is stored in the capacitors that is interfering with the amps. I have the 430N with sound group II.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Mine does it too. Has from day 1. 430N RHB.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Same problem here, 430N RHB w/opt group II.

Maybe if I leave some bananas in the trunk the monkeys will stop knockin' around :icon_wink:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
So far, I haven't seen anyone without the Option Group II post that they have this issue. NO ONE!

So, I'd start my trouble-shooting efforts with the amps and maybe the rear sub. I don't think that the radios have anything to do with this.

But, if you like chasing ghosts, blame the head unit...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
There is an older TSB about the 'subwoofer heartbeat' but supposedly it was tied to the sunroof motor module. I don't have a sunroof and I still have the problem, so I'm not sure if it's an identical issue, but it sure seems similar.

I recommend anyone having this problem to print out the attached TSB and bring it to the dealer, so at least they have a clue this problem has been around before. I'm sure the fix is very similar, even if you don't have a sunroof.

TSB 08-015-07 (issued June 6, 2007) "Some customers may experience a software issue in the Sunroof Motor Module causing the Vehicle Communication System (BUS) to stay active after the vehicle is shut down..."

TSB 08-015-07

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Trunk Monkey here from day one as well. Option Group II. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Same here. IE#119 with 430n and sound group 2. Didn't notice it for the first week, then it started.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts