Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2012 srt challenger that had the stock all season tires in all corners with about 20,000 miles. Last weekend i went ahead and installed continental dsw extreme contact tires in the rear 275/40/20 and i noticed right away that when im getting on an on ramp on the highway at a little bit of speed i notice the active handling/ traction light come on the dash and i feel the car applying the brakes on the pedal. Now these are streets that i drive on a regular basis and i know that the light never comes on when im driving on the ramps. Anyone have any idea why this could be happening right after getting new tires in the rear? Could it have anything to do with the fact that I'm still running the stock all season tires in the front?

·
Registered
940 Posts
It could be because of the tire size difference if you had 245's before you might need a tuner to change the tire setting to the new 275's.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be because of the tire size difference if you had 245's before you might need a tuner to change the tire setting to the new 275's.
I had no idea that could be the issue. I do have a tuner so i'll go give it a shot. I was always under the impression that the reason why people would change the tire size on the tuner was more to fix the speedometer. I'll let you know how it goes. thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
245/45x20 and 275/40x20 are the same diameter.
However, 245 are rated for a lot less weight than are the 275 at the same pressure.
Therefore the factory recommended pressures will be to high for the 275. I would suggest 26 lbs. in the 275s. Find a place where you can light up the tires for a few feet and observe the marks to determine if you are getting full contact across the tread.
Smooth concrete works best.

Did you check the pressure? I have experienced pressure variations every time the shop checks/changes pressure.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
245/45x20 and 275/40x20 are the same size.
However, 245 are rated for a lot less weight than are the 275 at the same pressure.
Therefore the factory recommended pressures will be to high for the 275. I would suggest 26 lbs. in the 275s. Find a place where you can light up the tires for a few feet and observe the marks to determine if you are getting full contact across the tread.
Smooth concrete works best.

Did you check the pressure? I have experienced pressure variations every time the shop checks/changes pressure.
I checked the tire pressure and found 1 rear tire at 34 and the other at 41. I'll go ahead and reduce the tire pressure and both and make sure they are the same. thx

·
Registered
23 Posts
When you put new tires in the rear (which is correct) and do not replace the front tires, the tread disparity can cause the light to trigger. This is mostly because new tires have a (break in period) of up to 500 miles and are not as responsive as your worn tires in the front. If you replace the front tires with the dws as well you will not have this issue anymore. I see this at my shop on many lexus is 300 and merc benz with staggered fitment. Even when we sell 2 new tires and put on the rear of a vehicle without esp, customers complain of steering instability. When we rotate the new tires to the front or replace the front tires. Fixed. Trust me, hope this helps. What your experiencing is very normal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to update everyone...

I changed the tire size with the tuner and lowered the tire pressure to 30 and i did notice it got a little better. But also after doing some more driving it pretty much went away. I think that when these tires are new they really do need to get broken in for a bit first. This past weekend i installed the new front tires and i tried taking a turn and it wasnt even a hard turn but heard the tires screeching. By the end of the day the were not making that noise anymore. Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Just wanted to update everyone...

I changed the tire size with the tuner and lowered the tire pressure to 30 and i did notice it got a little better. But also after doing some more driving it pretty much went away. I think that when these tires are new they really do need to get broken in for a bit first. This past weekend i installed the new front tires and i tried taking a turn and it wasnt even a hard turn but heard the tires screeching. By the end of the day the were not making that noise anymore. Thanks everyone for your help.
Yeah, with most high-performance tires there is a break-in period. My previous Nitto NT-05s were that way and my new Michelin Pilot Super Sports are that way, though mostly when cold/not warmed up. Once up to temp they're fine, and supposedly they will be even better after about 400-500 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts