Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a deal made 2 weeks ago with a local dealer to get a new Classic. It was to be transferred from an out of town dealer. A week ago, the out of town dealer said he had a potential local buyer for it coming in to look at it and if he didn't buy it, I could have it. Well it's been a week and the car still shows as in his inventory, but the out of town dealer refuses to return calls to my salesman concerning this car. I'm getting a bad feeling that this deal is falling through. :(

·
Registered
999 Posts
call the dealer who has the car and do the deal with him, then organize getting to the car, or getting the car to you?

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
call the dealer who has the car and do the deal with him, then organize getting to the car, or getting the car to you?
Ditto. You need to cut out the middleman on this deal or it isn't going to happen.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Keep in mind, it takes a few days for the inventory stickers to get pulled after a car is sold. So it is possible someone local did buy it.

Either way, this warrants a call to the dealership that has the car to see if you can work the deal directly. You can usually ship a car for $400 or so to most locations. But if you have a trade the water gets a little muddy. In that case, email and pictures become your best friend.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've thought about doing that. The other dealer is 500 miles away and I have a trade-in, so the logistics are difficult. If I drive there to do a deal, the dealer has me over a barrel knowing that I have a big investment in making this deal happen.

I may try making a deal over the phone, but I don't think they'll commit to a trade-in price unseen. And if I do this, it could make it even more difficult for the deal to happen locally. (Of course, it's starting to look like it might not happen anyway!)

Also, will the local dealer give me good service when I come in for warranty work with a car bought out of town?

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
^^^^^
You might want to think about selling your trade-in to Carmax to take that issue out of the equation.

Dealers shoulds provide excellent service regardless of where the vehicle was purchased.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Forget the local guy. Sounds like he is not interested in selling a car to you. I had such a same problem trying to find a Classic I had to finally order one. You might consider this as an option.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Before you call the out of town dealer, you need to make sure you are done with the local dealer. Since once you call the out of town dealer, you'll have muddied up the waters and it's not likely your local dealer will be able to get the car. But it doesn't sound like the 2 dealers have reached an agreement. When I was the GM of a car dealership, we could get a car in 3 days, tops, from another dealer. Two weeks is way too long.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
No disrespect but if they are local go down and see him in person, problem solved.
Glasses alert

Dealer is 500 miles away... per subsequent followup post ;)

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Forget the local guy. Sounds like he is not interested in selling a car to you.
Not sure I agree with that assessment... since out of town dealer is the one not returning calls. But, obviously, there is a way to escalate it, going GM to GM or whatever.

When I bought my DY Classic, it was on a Saturday and the local dealership made the deal with the out of town dealership that day. I had actually negotiated a price with the out of town dealership via email. I did not tell the local guy I did that. Told him I found what I wanted, at a dealership in Kansas City (Im in Georgia) and I wanted this car for this price (which was $500 below the price I negotiated with KC directly). Told them I wanted it delivered for no extra charge. Took me two hours and a threat to walk away, but in the end, I got it, for what I wanted.

Mike

·
Registered
428 Posts
Vision is pretty good thanks. If you made the deal with the LOCAL dealer thats who you should be directly dealing with. I understood the car was coming from out of town. Just me trying to help

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Getting the car is one issue, Getting the car and getting a good or fair deal is another.

If the dealer cant make it happen or does not follow up with return calls or emails, they are not interested in selling you the car for the price you want to pay, other wise they would make it happen or they would order you one.

I had one dealer not follow up with internet email or calls, so I went to the dealer in person, If I was willing to buy the car at the price they wanted to sell it for, which was over MSRP then the order would happen.
I had to go out of state in order to get the good deal, which was $500.00 over invoice. Once we agreed on the price and a written contract with all cost to include any dealer add ons like undercoat.... that you may want when the car arives, the dealer and I signed the purchase agreement order and I gave a deposit. Done deal, No head games, no running to manager every 5 minutes to say yes or no to you.

I agree, sell your car on your own or keep it. Its hard to buy and sell and still get a rock bottom price that doesnt make you feel like you have been robbed.

Edmonds.com has a great web site, with step by step process of what to do's when buying a new car. Good luck. AK907

·
Banned
557 Posts
Yes, I've thought about doing that. The other dealer is 500 miles away and I have a trade-in, so the logistics are difficult. If I drive there to do a deal, the dealer has me over a barrel knowing that I have a big investment in making this deal happen.

I may try making a deal over the phone, but I don't think they'll commit to a trade-in price unseen. And if I do this, it could make it even more difficult for the deal to happen locally. (Of course, it's starting to look like it might not happen anyway!)

Also, will the local dealer give me good service when I come in for warranty work with a car bought out of town?
Years ago when I bought my 2004 Jeep Wrangler (new at the time) I bought out of state (4-5hrs away). The local dealers were not budging on price and I got tired of their crap. Anyhow, tracked down the Jeep I wanted online and called the dealership. I explained I had a trade and shot them pictures of inside and outside via email. They gave me a sell price for the Jeep and a trade-in price within 30 minutes. The trade was actually better than the local lots and the sell price was much, much better than local as well. I told them to clean it up, gas it up and have the papers ready that I would be leaving the next day to come get it.

To do this day, I consider that one of the smoothest transactions I've ever completed. Now I always shop out of state dealers. However, trades can make it difficult if the out of town guy isn't used to conducting business that way.

In regards to service, I had no problems. In fact, the dealer I talked to was very cool about everything and understood people lifted Jeep's and took them offroad and did not nick pick anything when I started modifying that vehicle. It was real nice, actually.

^^^^^
You might want to think about selling your trade-in to Carmax to take that issue out of the equation.

Dealers shoulds provide excellent service regardless of where the vehicle was purchased.
As GreatAmerican pointed out, you can always go to CarMax and get rid of your vehicle that way. They give you a "trade in" value like at a normal lot, except they will write you a check on the spot rather you buy from them or not. The only time it becomes problematic is when you are upside down. I suspect you would need to cover any difference via your own cash, or to make it a part of your new loan (which would take some explaining to your lender assuming you are financing).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I finally found out that my car has already been sold by the out of town dealer. That's why they weren't returning phone calls about it. And there aren't any others with the same color/configuration in Texas right now so my dealer is ordering one for me exactly the way I want it! This actually works out better as I won't be getting the sunroof that I didn't want and it won't have an extra 500 miles on it from driving it down here. My dealer says I should have it in 4 to 5 weeks. Yeah!!!!:bigthumb:

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is today Christmas??? I just got my Magnaflow Competition Series Cat Back Exaust System # 16516 and My Diablo Sport Predator # U7135!!! Oh Boy am I going to have fun this weekend!!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well I finally found out that my car has already been sold by the out of town dealer. That's why they weren't returning phone calls about it. And there aren't any others with the same color/configuration in Texas right now so my dealer is ordering one for me exactly the way I want it! This actually works out better as I won't be getting the sunroof that I didn't want and it won't have an extra 500 miles on it from driving it down here. My dealer says I should have it in 4 to 5 weeks. Yeah!!!!:bigthumb:

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!
Glad you got things going. As for the 4-5 week delivery, I have been waiting for 5 weeks already and it is still waiting striping. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts