Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some issues with my iPhone 4 and my 430N RHB radio in the 2011 SRT8 IE I just got. I keep reading about firmware updates for Challenger radios that address issues with the iPhone 4, but they all mention other versions of the radio. Are there any software updates for this radio?

The issues I am having:

• Bluetooth streaming audio is distorted and breaks up
  • Connecting via the USB/Iphone cable only works about 1/10 times I try it. The rest of the time it just says "Error Occurred" or something like that.
  • Can't connect the iPhone to the USB on the radio itself at all. It only works when connected to the one in the console under your right arm.
  • When switching songs, it cuts off the first 1/2 second or so of each song
Using the iPhone 4 for phone calls using bluetooth seems to work fine though. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hay whats going on with this now did they put a fix out or are we all still out of luck ....I am going to ***** to Dodge about this if there not going to do anything about it...We bought LIMITED EDITION cars its should all be mint...

I would have no problem paying 800 dollars to upgrade the stereo but at 2100.00 full pop there smoking crack... I just wont do that if there radio is not working that came with are cars....

Soooo what are we going to do about this ???? Or am i wrong on this and they did fix it all....

I say we organize ourselves and all call them and get them to replace our radios...

What do you guys think ????

Asab.........

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm having some issues with my iPhone 4 and my 430N RHB radio in the 2011 SRT8 IE I just got. I keep reading about firmware updates for Challenger radios that address issues with the iPhone 4, but they all mention other versions of the radio. Are there any software updates for this radio?

The issues I am having:

• Bluetooth streaming audio is distorted and breaks up
  • Connecting via the USB/Iphone cable only works about 1/10 times I try it. The rest of the time it just says "Error Occurred" or something like that.
  • Can't connect the iPhone to the USB on the radio itself at all. It only works when connected to the one in the console under your right arm.
  • When switching songs, it cuts off the first 1/2 second or so of each song
Using the iPhone 4 for phone calls using bluetooth seems to work fine though. Any ideas?

I have a 2010, but I'll answer best I can.

1) Bluetooth streaming audio for music does break up from what I can recall. I don't think many owners recommend it - I know I don't bother with it on mine. That's what the hard drive and iPod connectors are for. Your bluetooth phone calls should not be breaking up unless you're having signal trouble, etc.

2) That one may or may not be a service issue. Make sure the phone is connected properly and firmly. My cable won't seat properly unless I remove the case for my iPhone. If I don't remove the case, the cable's too loose and often pops out.

3) It's not supposed to. The USB slot on the radio's faceplate is for USB flash drives. I don't believe it's supposed to work with the iPhone cable plugged into it at all to pull off of like a hard drive. I know other people have tried hooking up cameras, etc...those don't work either. The system has to read it as a portable drive.

4) Not sure about that one.

Anyway..regarding the iPhone 4 and the RER 2.402 update disc...works fine for me. No troubles at all since I upgraded awhile back.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
There is already a thread on the 430N RHB being incompatible with the iPhone 3GS and 4 with current OS updates.

Apple and Dodge and Harmon Becker are all aware of it. Supposedly there will be an upgrade to the RHB in April. Call your Dodge dealer for availability. I already complained to Dodge about it. Got me 16 free synthetic oil changes from the dealer for my time - that wasn't too bad.

Try a regular iPod on your USB console jack and I'm better it works fine. Mine does. It's the iPhone iPod which is inop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am having the same issues with my iphone 4. Here is what I figured out so far:
1) if the streaming is breaking up, make sure the phone is locked. For some reason, if I start to use my phone while it is streaming, it starts skipping, but as soon as I lock it, it stops.

2) The USB port doesn't work because the radio is trying to stream and USB for the same device. If you turn off the bluetooth and just use the USB port, it should work without a problem.

3) I also found out that the text messaging feature offered with this radio doesn't work for any iPhone products.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I am having the same issues with my iphone 4. Here is what I figured out so far:
1) if the streaming is breaking up, make sure the phone is locked. For some reason, if I start to use my phone while it is streaming, it starts skipping, but as soon as I lock it, it stops.

2) The USB port doesn't work because the radio is trying to stream and USB for the same device. If you turn off the bluetooth and just use the USB port, it should work without a problem.

3) I also found out that the text messaging feature offered with this radio doesn't work for any iPhone products.

Hope this helps.
1) Correct. That doesn't make it acceptable though. Should stream music whether or not screen is locked or unlocked.

2) Not correct. Disabling blue tooth does not solve the USB port connectivity problem. The RHB media center needs a firmware update - it will not work with iPods in iPhone 3G or 4G with current OS. Curiously it does work with a dedicated iPod (except the Shuffle which is not designed for docking stations).

3) Never tried it, but the fact it doesn't work doesn't surprise me. I will try it on mine today after researching the owner's manual and learning how it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Does anyone have any updates about the RHB iPhone update? I stopped by the dealer the other day and they said no TSB yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
430N/430 Media Center iPhone4/iPad Workaround

Hi,

It is possible to get an iPhone4 to work with the 430N/430 media center radio. Bluetooth audio remains below par, but the docking feature with the USB port located in the console will function properly. Email me directly at [email protected] and I will be happy to help. I own a Chrysler dealership and had to come up with a workaround for my wife's 2011 Durango equipped with a 430N.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Email sent. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I also confirmed the SMS text notification feature does not work on my 430N either, per kellichandler01.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joe,

I sent you an e-mail, so please let me know about your workaround.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Heminator,

I did not receive your email. Please try again @ [email protected] or give me a call: 435-896-7296 and I will discuss the workaround with you.

Regards,

Joe

G. Joseph Betar
Owner
Classic Motors, Inc.
120 South Main
Richfield, Utah 84701
(435) 896-4441 Office
(435) 896-7296 Mobile
(435) 896-6261 Fax
(800) 825-9674 Toll Free
[email protected]
www.classicmo.com
Hi Joe:

We did indeed make contact over the weekend and I appreciate all the time you spent on the phone with me.

I tried your procedure and unfortunately it didn't work on my iPhone 3GS. It was worth a try though.

In lieu of the firmware update (or should I say vaporware), I think I'll just pick-up a used iPod Classic 8GB or 16 GB, which I have already confirmed will work in my 430N.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Joe,

I had similar results to Heminator with my iPhone 4. I tried the steps you listed about 10 times, but it never did work even once. Thanks for trying though.

Looks like we need a real fix from Dodge. Either that, or we need to upgrade to 730N radios.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Hi Joe:

We did indeed make contact over the weekend and I appreciate all the time you spent on the phone with me.

I tried your procedure and unfortunately it didn't work on my iPhone 3GS. It was worth a try though.

In lieu of the firmware update (or should I say vaporware), I think I'll just pick-up a used iPod Classic 8GB or 16 GB, which I have already confirmed will work in my 430N.
Save your money. You can get a 32gb flash drive for about 40 dollars. I use one in my 2011. I can use the console to browse it and I can use voice command to select song, artist, album, or play list.

Posted from a mobile device. Please forgive brevity and occasional typos.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Save your money. You can get a 32gb flash drive for about 40 dollars. I use one in my 2011. I can use the console to browse it and I can use voice command to select song, artist, album, or play list.

That's what I use also. Its a no headache setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts

What did you do to get the songs onto the flash drive?

I copied artist/album folders from iTunes folder but the radio only recognizes the song, not the other data (artist/album/genre - even though it is in the tag).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes using a thumb drive is all well and good, except a lot of people (like me) don't have their music in MP3 format, they have it in itunes format. Since EVERYWHERE else I want to play music I can use my iPhone that is how I do it. So unless I want to burn about 50 cds to rip the songs to MP3, I'd rather my iphone just work.

I haven't seen any way to use a playlist from the hard drive or thumb drive either. How are you doing that? That would at least make it a bit more bearable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts