Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've started having some issues with my Challenger and despite endless Googling, I can't seem to find a resolution. I'm probably going to take it in somewhere later next week, but I wanted to see if someone here might be able to produce a little insight on what's going on.

Basically, about a month or month and a half ago I noticed a light flicker on my dash lights. From there it progressively got worse and the headlights started to flicker as well. Sometimes it's minor, a lot more often though it's something major - the dash and headlights will be almost turning off. Additionally, the gauges will take a few seconds to start working and will intermittently "shut off" before going back to reading properly.

On top of this, sometimes when I go to star it, it won't start up. The engine will start to turn over but it's like it doesn't have enough power. If I wait 15 or 20 seconds I can start it just fine.

I had the alternator and battery tested at Auto Zone and both tested okay, though I'm still a little uncertain on that. I took out the aftermarket head unit because I figured maybe it had some bad wiring, but the issues persisted. I'm not sure what to do. I found a lot of different threads about flickering lights but it seemed like everyone had a different solution.

It's an 09 with around 100,000 miles on it. I'm fairly sure that the battery is the original one. Is this a battery/alternator issue or is there something else I should look at? I've read that sometimes connections can become loose or corroded but I don't know exactly where to look.

Any help will be EXTREMELY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
It most likely either the battery or the alternator. If its the original battery, replace it first. If that doesn't do it, it's the alternator. At 100k miles, it's best to replace that battery. I suspect the battery. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
My dash lights flickered and it was the switch for the headlights / dimmer

·
Registered
638 Posts
Typically a weak alternator will be seen as the lights being dim inside and out as the battery is weak....and that appears to be a really old battery with 100k on it so its what 5 plus years?

If you have a tester check the cold voltage then start the car and see what its testing at....then turn you lights on as if nighttime and use the blower and then the radio.....if you not charging well above 14v in any instance both your alternator and battery should be replaced.

A bad or going bad alternator (and they do go to hell in a handbag at that mileage) will cook the battery cells.

I assume you checked the cells unless this battery is a no-maintenance one. Good luck too hope that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Indypacer,
What did you find out. I am having similar issues with my 2012. It has 45000 miles. The interior and exterior lights will flicker and then they may be strong for a quarter mile, then flicker some more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts