Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was down at the hotrod reunion in bowling green ky, a few weeks ago, mr. Norm was set up there. Was asking ??'s on there various storkercombos for the 6.1. I was originally locked on a 426 stroker. But I was told that they are starting to see a high failure rate on this stroke, believe he said the problem was to much side load on the cylinder walls. Was told that I should consider going with a 413 stoker instead( may be wrong on the exact. Displacement, but think it was 413). Is the a durability issue with the 426 stroker???? *** I am not saying there is, & there is probably alot of u that have had no problems**** just want to get all that facts before I build my stroker( 6.1 block)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
He probably meant a 419. Yes, going with a "true" 426 will result in thinner cylinder walls. That, combined with boost, has the potential to oval your cylinders over time. If you're definitely staying NA, I wouldn't sweat that too much. If you're going to boost it, I'd definitely get a 419 or even 392.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be going n/a for a while, but will be installing gallium twin turbos as soon as $$$ allows. So will stay at 6.1 / 392 stoker, thanks for info

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
So if you were going to use the Mopar aluminum block, would this still be an issue?
If you went with an aluminum block you wouldn't have to sweat that as much. Check out InferAl's "big bore" aluminum 426.

·
Registered
72 Posts
426 Stroker

All you 426 guys please chime in here, my car is at Arrington and
they are finishing up on my 426, I have not read any comments
about issues, anyone having issues out of their 426 builds, mine will
also have the maggie with 12 psi. Any info would be greatly
appreciated.

Ernest

·
Banned
804 Posts
I wouldn't get to crazy worrying about a 426. The motor is proven. Now honestly I would say 99% of the 426's out there are not 426's.....but 423's or less. Now as far as a high failure rate goes? I gotta wonder where they are seeing it cause no one else has.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I wouldn't get to crazy worrying about a 426. The motor is proven. Now honestly I would say 99% of the 426's out there are not 426's.....but 423's or less. Now as far as a high failure rate goes? I gotta wonder where they are seeing it cause no one else has.
Agreed.............

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I know several guys with 419s and 423's and have had no issues related to the cylinder walls. If you go with the full 426 you will have no margin and any issue will result in major costs as the bore is already maxed, so you would end up with a custom setup. If you are going FI I would go with a smaller CID. I went with the 419 and 9:1 with my blower because as is the case with many I wanted bigger cubes. Also with my Techco, I am limited as to how much boost I can add due to lack of pullies. If I had it to do over again I would still go 419, but at 10:1 I will never go past 12lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
426 & twins

All you 426 guys please chime in here, my car is at Arrington and
they are finishing up on my 426, I have not read any comments
about issues, anyone having issues out of their 426 builds, mine will
also have the maggie with 12 psi. Any info would be greatly
appreciated.

Ernest
i have been running my 426 twin turbos for 7,000 miles with 14.5lb
of boost. i burnt one vavle.( to lean and to much timeing).no problem with bottom end. o ya a little nos. when i burnt the vavle
i took the bottom end apart to check it out.everything was in grate shape.all bearings look new not bad for over 800+hp.go with the 426 you will love it maybe blow it but you can talk about forever.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Stick with a 419 or 423. Both have a 4.06 bore. Why take it to 4.08 and be forced to replace the block if something happens and you hurt the motor. With a 4.06 bore, you can rebuild later with a 4.07 or 4.08 bore but once you go 4.08, there isnt allot of wall thickness left.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I agree Andy. There is just something about saying "I have a 426" as opposed to "I have a 419" It just doesn't have that legendary sound to it.

If I had it to do again I would build an aluminum block motor and go even bigger.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
^^^^Yea,,agreed and I have a 331 Hemi with auto trans still, the very first production Hemi in a sedan.
FlatTop

·
Registered
517 Posts
Most of the discussion that I have seen suggest that in terms of longevity of the motor, the 6.1L > 6.4L (392) > 6.7L (~426). I also was concerned with the pressure exerted on the outside wall of the block by the piston with the 426 and opted for an Arrington 392 at 9.2:1 CR for around 10lbs of boost. The durability of the motor is going to be dependent on many factors of which miles placed on the motor since built being one of them. Most of the large motors have seem a great deal of stress placed on them with no problems. But time will tell how well they hold up when they get to 35-50K miles on them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.